Let’s face it, when we find a class we love, most of us have more reasons than “kicks ass in Raids or PvP”.

Each class has unique touches, ‘flavor’, if you will, that makes the class feel more appealing than the others.

And one of the nicest touches of style or flavor any class could have is a special way of getting around.

Before the Burning Crusade, there were two classes that stood apart from all others in terms of mounts, and say it with me friends; Warlocks and Paladins.

Each class had neat looking mounts at 40, and even neater mounts at level 60. And those mounts were not just given away; they had to be earned, at least somewhat, through gathering mats, completing a quest chain, and in the end, fighting a special battle with friends. Even today, getting a party together to help a friend complete their epic Warlock mount quest is a special event.

Now, I have to admit, I like the idea, but I wish that Blizzard had taken that next step and implemented the same thing for all classes. Each class should have a mount or mundane travel method unique to them. Yes, even Mages with their Teleports and Portals.

With the Burning Crusade, Blizzard added a new class to those with unique travel abilities; Druids and the Swift Flying Form. And it is very cool.

But I’d like to say that I REALLY think every class should have some kind of unique mount that they can quest for, gather for, and battle to earn at level 70. It wouldn’t affect game balance, and every damn player would love having something unique to their class to push towards. Just as Swift Flight Form is a mark of distinction for Druids at 70, so too would the other mounts be for each class. And as long as you retain the requirement of having to purchase the Epic Flight skill first, where is the harm?

I want to throw the discussion open to you, my friends. What mounts can you envision, that you would love to see available as a unique mount for a class at level 70?

I’d love to see ideas for lots of classes… the Druids already got the love, how about everyone else?

I’d like to start the suggestions, by saying that Warlocks not only SHOULD get a flaming flying skeletal steed, but to show everyone that the bloody design already exists in game.

The above image is of the Skeletal Griffon, which can be seen circling above Karazhan. The images above were snagged by standing atop the open air tower stair landing right before entering the chamber prior to Prince in Karazhan. The Skeletal Griffon circles in the distance, but with Deathblow goggles on zoom, well…. as you can see, you can get a nice clear view. All Blizzard needs to do is add some fire… some lovely green fire… and Warlocks are all set.

What are your ideas for neat mounts?

EDIT: Favorite user ideas added below…

Exanimo said;

As a Hunter, I still think it would be cool to be able to tame a mount, perhaps one of a small selection of animals out there.
A questline to acquire a special magic taming rod springs to mind… after acquiring it, it could be used once on an animal of choice which would turn into an elite miniboss. With the help of a party you should bring this beast to 5% at which point you can tame it to become your mount.

I’d like to say that for Hunters, that is the coolest idea I have heard. I love it, I really do. I’d like to add to your idea, by saying that I think if your choice of animals have to come from named creatures in specific instances, that it would make it easier to place it among the other already existing epic mount quests.

Cassieann said;

As a sneaky rogue, my dream mount (not necessarily evan a flying one since I haven’t even experienced a regular flight mount yet) would be one that could go in to stealth mode with me.
That would be so cool to be able to ride fast instead of having reduced movement speed as I tiptoe around places.

I hadn’t thought that Rogues might like a mount with their favorite effect rather than a unique appearance, but if you’re starting with the effect, of being stealthed or unseen/unnoticed while traveling at high speed, then what I’m thinking would be cool is… the Whispering Wind.
Just like a Druid shifts into a Flying Form, a Rogue might shift into a Whispering Wind, blowing past unremarked… and you couldn’t fight as the wind, after all. And the quest chain to capture and master the winds of the four corners of the world would be mighty fun.

Dorgol said;

Dorgol, I would love to see Blizzard make some attempt… ANY attempt… at introducing more personalization. And I think you hit on the right path for Warriors… How about this. Have a long quest chain for Warriors that would lead them, eventaully, to be recognised as a Commander or General of their respective races’ armed forces. This would give them the right to a racial mount with a unique ‘military’ style to it, barding and such. It would especially be awesome if another part of the quest chain reward was that the military guards of that race in their capitol city would do the “/salute” emote when you came within range, and gave you a greeting like the Skettis guards do.

25 Responses to “Need more mounts! Class mounts, that is”
  1. Beowulfa says:

I think I’d want a dragon with fire-breathing capabilities. Not sure which class that would go with best. Or maybe a Nargle (don’t know if I spelled that right).

2. Alex - aka Firelight says:

As a paladin i’m sure you can guess whats coming!!

A flying horse like Pegasus from the old Clash of the titans movie!!

Pure white, and holy! That is summoned like the land mounts are.

Warlocks would have something similar, but more evil looking!!

Warriors – some sort of dark brown/black armoured griffon.

Mages – Something Mystical/Magical – sort of like the Spectral Tiger mounts.

Priests – Something similar to the paladin one, but wearing some sort of holy regalia.

Shamans – I’m not sure what to say here, maybe something Shamanistic, but not sure what to suggest…Something covered in wooden artifacts?

Druids – Go away! you already have something! stop being greedy!!

3. Exanimo says:

As a Hunter i still think it would be cool to be able to tame a mount, perhaps of a small selection of animals out there.
    A questline to aquire a special magic tamingrod springs to mind… after aquiring it it could be used once on an animal off choice which would turn into an elite miniboss. With the help of a party you should bring this beast to 5% at which point you can tame it to become your mount.

I guess the options are endless but i doubt Blizz will still offer something like this to us, too late for that i’m afraid.

4. Ratshag says:

As a blacksmith, I’s still holding out fer a craftable flying anvil mount. Like what the engineers got, but more solid. And DangerMouse, the team’s undead rogue, wants a maggot mount when she dings 40.

5. BigBearButt says:

Ratshag, I think you just introduced a new undead racial mount there… the maggot mount.

And how typical it would be to see an undead rogue mounted high on a massive, fat sluglike maggot.

Oh, and Alex… I agree, the flying pegasus would be a solid, and yet excellent Paladin mount… for Alliance Paladins.

I’m wondering what a Blood Elf Paladin should get… I’m thinking a soiled version of the pegasus, perhaps sooty and streaked with dirt, with chains and shackles dangling from neck and hooves would work for them.

Mages being able to summon a mount, or a flying carpet/hovering carpet would be pretty fun too. Nice ideas!

6. Arren says:

To further along Alex’s ideas, Shamans should be able to call upon the Air Elements to carry them to their destination. Not sure what that would look like, perhaps like Superman flying around being carried on the air. That would be rather sweet.

And as a warlock, I give two hearty thumbs up to your ideas for our flying mount, BBB.

7. Cassieann says:

8. Anonymous says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read somewhere that in Wrath of the Lich King, the Dalaran faction will grant flying discs which you simply stand on, arms crossed.

This passionless, minimalistic “mount” strikes me as the perfect mage carrier. Goes together with the cherished image of the mage as a cool, intellectual bastid who still deals more damage than an axe-wielding barbarian thrice his size.

9. Urthona says:

Psh.

Class mounts is like turning the knob without opening the door.

I don’t want class mounts. I want more class content. The demonic and holy ponies were certainly cool to look at, but it was the details of the quests to obtain them that were amazing for me, and were certainly highlights in playing the class.

While I’m sure it would be easy for Blizzard to drop existing models in the game as available flying mounts, I for one wish they’d develop content around those models, making the experience of obtaining one somewhat unique.

There’s so much that could be done with the old world reputations, I don’t see why Cassieann can’t perform a few hundred sneaky daily quests for Ravenholdt to get her Stealth Pony.

Or that the Wintersaber Trainers can’t allow an exalted Hunter the opportunity to stalk and tame a selection of old world Beasts to bee made into a mount. Imagine Echeyakee remixed, or Mazzranache with a saddle.

And yes, there’s a faction for everyone. Druids get CC, Pallies get AD, Priests get Zandalar Tribe, Warriors choose Magram or Gelkis, Mages take Violet Eye, Locks take Shen’dralar, and the waterwalkers get stuck with the Hydraxians ;-D

10. Dorgol says:

As a Warlock of >3 years, I wouldn’t want a skeletal gryphon. My class mount isn’t a skeleton, it’s a perfectly healthy demonic steed. Gimme a perfectly healthy demonic dragon and we’ll talk.

While I don’t have a problem with a class mount for all classes, I have to admit that some would be hard to rationalize. What would a Warrior get? Remember, a Warrior corresponds with the basic Footman of the Warcraft RTS games. These guys really aren’t anything special. They don’t use magic. They don’t summon demons. They don’t even have a higher calling ala the Paladin. The BEST a Warrior could hope for is a racial mount in the livery of their faction. (Come to think of it, that’d be kind of cool… a mount that used your guild tabard or faction symbol?)

However… I’m all for Hunters taming their own mount, so long as they were limited to a few “common sense” beasts. Windserpent <> mount.

(Side note: Mages shouldn’t get a class ‘mount’… they should simply be allowed to fly. They can already move instantly between WORLDS, why can’t they just up and fly off?)

11. Ratshag says:

No, the BEST a warrior could hope for would be a sedan chair carried by four paladins. Not that we’s gonna get it, but we can still hope.

12. klaki says:

ok, i’ll try to make this short…

warriors
    wars are tough and like to charge… maybe an armored rhino or armored lion and a amored gryphin fits a warriors style.

paladins
    alliance: paladins mean justice, justice is bald eagle.. so special armored gryphin.
    horde: special armored all black gryphin.

shamans
    a mountable elemental comes to mind. maybe change the look a bit because elementals are so big.

locks
    i think take a hipogrphy thing, make it black with bone wings… fire is used as feathers and feet

rogues
    just a side note… so unfair if rogue had stealthable mount, imagine use in AB, rogue rides up on you quick on stealth mount. anyway… rogues would have special black horse and a sharp looking crow as a flying mount.

mages
    a horse that has some sort of dust flying off of it as it goes. for flying, use something similar.

priest
    pure white horse with angelic look. flying mount would be close with wings.

hunter
    love the trainable mount idea, but if not. then a jeep wrangler…lol… i kid. a nice looking panther, or cheetah mount.. looks fast. for flying, maybe hawk of some sort.

druids
    already got their stuff.

just my thoughts

13. Kinzlayer says:

As a ‘lock, I will settle for Green Fire, say with me folks… GREEN FIRE!!!

I think the other classes should get their own special mount before Pallys and Warlocks getting something new, if time permitting I would like to just be able to use the wings from T6/S3 helm to fly… I don’t need no stinking mount when I have my own wings, hehe.

14. BigBearButt says:

Urthona, I am sorry if you got the impression that I advocate mounts without additional quest chains or content. I actually would like more class specific content. Much more.

15. Badfood says:

Hunters get a special quest / abilility to tame riding mounts?

No. they already have a taming skill.

Quite simply, I think Hunters need as a class ability – once the appropriate riding skill is attained – is the ability to ride their own pets.

16. dorgol says:

@Klaki

Rhino would be serious win. The Elekk is great and all, but I’d trade mine for a Rhino without looking back.

@BBB

I would also love to see more class specific quests. Blizzard really seems to not know what to do in this area. 1st we got the Pally / ‘lock epic mount quest. Then we got the Molten Core Hunter / Priest quests. Then Blizzard said they felt the class specific quests were a bad idea. Then we got class specific quests to go into Sunken Temple… huh?

Personally, I would love to see at least one “epic reward” questline for every class at lvl 60 / 70 / 80. And the reward should be the class trinkets that Blizzard likes to bury in raid instances (BWL / SSC / TK). My warlock was fortunate enough to get ahold of [The Black Book] shortly before TBC. I’m now trying to BUY a run into TK to get my [Void Star Talisman]…

17. Urthona says:

@BBB

Aw jeez. I hope I didn’t come across as crass. I’m certainly not against items that add customization or uniqueness.

I just want new the new items developed and implented by Blizzard to be more than just a trained skill or gold price tag.

There’s so much that’s cool about the game that remains unexplored or unexamined that in the grand scheme, boss drops and quartermasters lose their appeal. I’d have gladly brought Brunn Flamebeard special gryphon feed direct from the Hinterlands, fed a nether ray daily for a month, or whatever because it meant I was working in the constraints of my goal, rather than farming obliquely to my mount. Gold Sellers be damned.

People who worked hard as hell on thier engineering to get a helicopter, or druids who’ve done the elaborate swift flight form questline know what im talking about.

I’m still in the camp for armored bears, boss. Tell me where to march, and I’ll bring my megaphone.

18. BigBearButt says:

Lol Urthona, you didn’t come across as crass, I was trying to let you know I agreed with you, and then tried to steer the conversation back on mount ideas…

and where the hell are my armored bears in dire bear from and different styles of cat form chooable by trainer? huh? huh? why the hell am I PURPLE like EVERY OTHER F’ING DRUID IN AZEROTH?!?!

Damn right!

19. Stale says:

You got that right BBB,

I think that when the hairdresser patch comes out with WotLK that druids should be able to customize their forms… Im not even a Drood :P

20. Peashooter says:

Heres another idea for rogues, specifically dwarf rogues: instead of a mount, an ability, that acts like a mount, because I can’t picture dwarves turning into wind:

Mega Awsome Sprint:

Increases movement speed by 100%, any damage will cancel the effect. Does not cancel stealth.

Personally I think this would be awsome, just because dwarves look so cool while sprinting.

For a flying mount I’d say something like herme’s sandals, something subtle, but effective, like… an engineering stealth jetpack that would have reletively cheap mats, and could also be attained through a quest chain, something to do with shadow labs, get it: SHADOW labs?

Am I being coherent here?

21. Snotpaw says:

Wow, what a topic! I can think of a million things, but I’ll spare you. :)

I play a Shaman, Hunter, Mage, and Druid, so I’ll restrict my comments to those.

Shaman: Elemental mounts, obviously. We can already summon earth and fire elementals…. so give us the ability to summon air elementals as a unique flying mount. Alternatively, create four distinct elemental mounts and make the Shaman choose ONE during the quest chain. That would be a ground mount… and we could get a flight form that turns us into a LIGHTNING BOLT. Okay maybe that would be too fast, lol, but you have to admit it would be class-appropriate and COOL.

Mages: I like the ideas stated already… the ability to simply levitate / fly is very appropriate for the class, and the flying discs sound awesome too. Personally, I’m enjoying my swift magic broom, too, and I’ll weep bitter tears when it finally goes away. :)

Hunters: A quest to TAME a mount is very appropriate, but to be realistic, it should probably be a specific mob (or a choice of mobs) rather than just any old pre-existing mob in the game (like someone already said, I can’t see riding a windserpent… or a gorilla for that matter…) These could be added to the game as roaming elites that are “friendly” until you attempt to tame them, so other classes can’t kill them and force you to wait for a respawn… I think Hunters have had enough of that in the old days, back before pets were normalized, TYVM. I never did catch Broken Tooth. :( Anyway, the quest chain could be to grant you an item to “tranquilize” one of these and make it non-elite before the taming attempt, similar to zapping giants in the old days.

Druids… well, Druids have it covered already, I think. A ground mount wouldn’t hurt… maybe just a +100% travel form. Turn into a horse or a Talbuk or something.

And yes, for crying out loud, give Dire Bear form some armor plates already. Like the Bear mount you can get from the timed ZA run:

Okay, maybe not THAT much armor plating, lol. I was thinking just a few pieces of jointed leather or something, you know? Something? Blizzard, hello? Carve some pretty runes on it?

P.S. to BBB: You are incorrect that ALL Druids are purple in cat form. Just the dainty alliance ones. ;)

Love your blog, keep up the great work.

22. tessy says:

I got my priest the pure snowy white gryphon because I thought that was appropriate for a priest, even though she was shadow at the time.

And now, as holy, she has improved Death and sprouts wings of her own and turns into an angel occasionally… it would be kinda cool if I could turn into that form (or a similar one, maybe not so fun to fly around looking like a spirit resser) and fly away without having to die first :-)

23. bbr says:

The horde warlocks would need a vampire bat of sorts then i guess.

24. Galoheart says:

I would like to see Paladins get a Epic Flying Pegasus Horse. A both flying winged and armoured horse as Pegasus is a flying horse if Mythical legends. I remember blogging about that a few months ago.

I wish each class has some unique mount of some kind, would add extra fun to the class.

25. […] back on January 8th of this year, I wrote a post to showcase some neat pictures I took from the top of the Tower in Karazhan, just before you enter the final passage to reach […]