I love bacon.

More on this fascinating topic follows after the break!

I mean, I really love bacon. My wife wants something? All she’s got to do when we’re grocery shopping is toss a pound of streaky bacon into the cart, and it’s pretty much a given, she’ll get what she wants.

And I’m not alone. Every burger joint in the country, you got your basic burgers… but you want to make it a deluxe? Throw a few strips of bacon on that sucker.

Crumble it on salads, wrap it around steaks, scallops, shrimp, is there anything that isn’t made better just by wrapping a strip of bacon around it?

I’ve even seen those freaks on Iron Chef America make bacon ice cream. I wouldn’t eat it, but they made it.

Now, back in the service, one of my favorite little snacks to fix up prior to a game or movie with friends was to take mini-sausages, wrap ‘em in bacon strips held on with wood toothpicks, dump them in a slow cooker, and cover with a sweet and hot BBQ sauce liberally mixed with straight brown suger and let ‘em bubble real good. Good stuff.

Now, for those of you in other countries, what we here in America call bacon, and what I’m talking about, is what you might call ‘streaky bacon’… it’s cut from the belly, while most other countries cut their bacon from the back. We just call it bacon, and it’s about half-fat laced with meat, and smoke cured. What you probably think of as bacon, we call ‘back bacon’, or Canadian Bacon if the person doing the talking is not a true bacon lover. Or is ordering a pizza.

Ah yes, I do love the bacon. It’s not commonly known, if you cook bacon at too high a heat, the bacon fat renders differently than slow cooked, and can have an off flavor. In my house, we’ve been cooking the bacon in a George Foreman grill, and while it serves it’s purpose of making my wife happy by removing the fat from the meat, it does leave the bacon with that slight off taste.

On the other hand, if you cook it nice and slow in the oven on a rack like Alton Brown suggests, it comes out great, but in our oven it takes forever to come to temp. So we generally go with fast and non-optimal.

Another of my absolute favorite ways to have bacon is in my mother-in-laws’ bean casserole recipe… mmmm, yummy. If you are lucky, and my wife is feeling nice, she may post her mom’s recipe. But I doubt you’ve been that good.

If you want some fun, go check out Cooking for Engineers, which has some fun comparisons of ways to cook bacon.

Oh yeah, and the point of this post?

The point is…. it’s morning. I’m tired and hungry. I’m at work. And I like bacon. :)

20 Responses to “I love bacon”
  1. Cowcontroll says:

Bacon in norway does not look as delicious as that, skip some over will ya?
    Btw i am at work aswell, and dam i want some bacon!
    *calling mum*

2. Daxenos says:

A tasty little bacon treat that I ran across a couple of years ago includes taking a seeded date, sticking a pecan piece in the middle, and wrapping bacon around the stuffed date. Secure with a toothpick.

Bake until the bacon is done and eat. I dare you to try eating just one; they’re mmmmmm, mmmmmm, GOOD!!!

Dax

3. Michael TLH says:

If you love bacon, you’ll love this video:

4. Krystofar says:

I wish I knew why “Canadian bacon” is so called, as I don’t know anyone who buys it. I should mention I’m Canadian and have only ever purchased the streaky bacon you discussed. Actually, the back bacon is hard to find and when you do find it, you dismiss it as it is damned expensive.
    I have long subscribed to the theory that almost any recipe can be improved by the addition of bacon.
    One of my favourite sandwiches:

5. Ferocious Bite says:

But, I’m a vegetarian! Can’t you write about atrichokes or something? ;p~~

6. klaki says:

I’m definately going to TriB’s house for the super bowl! I lovez me some bacon. Spaghetti is my fav, but coming in second is a CRISP bacon sandwich!

7. BigBearButt says:

mmmMMMMmmm bacon sammiches….

For you, Mooire, I wish to refer you to the wonderful recipe mentioned above by Kristofar… it’s a sauteed portobello mushroom sammich with soft brie cheese…

now, the sammich recipe calls for beef broth and bacon, and I can’t imagine trying it a different way for myself….

But if you were to try it without the bacon or beef broth, then try taking a quarter cup of olive oil, mix in about three drops of liquid smoke, toss the portobellos in it and roast them for 45 minutes. Then take the mushrooms out and sautee them in some straight olive oil. At the assembly part, instead of adding bacon, try using bacon salt (www.baconsalt.com).

I love me the bacon… but I love the fungus almost as much. MmmmMMMMM mushrooms!

8. Karellen says:

Way to go Ferocious Bite, I knew there was at least one other feral vegetarian out there :)

Hey BBB, if you like bacon, you should check out this link. It’s about how to make and cure your own bacon, meaning you can get it exactly how you like it: http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/?p=261

Doesn’t look to be too hard, either.

9. Anonymous says:

Me loves me some bacon too. Especially flavored bacon. By rolling your bacon in brown sugar, maple syrup, or crushed black peppercorns you can find a whole new dimension in bacony goodness. The only problem is that the wife does not like to wait a long for her bacon and cranks up the heat too high.

–Kulak

10. Phaelia says:

Ironic that I should read this while griddling a bunch of turkey bacon (i.e., bacon for the coronary-conscious). =D

11. Trollin' says:

Delicious Delicious Bacon…. mmmmmmmmm…

But, No! I don’t have time to cook any before my class.

Faaaaaaaaaaail.

12. Macciatto says:

OMG someone said peppercorn bacon?! That is dah shizzle!

*drools on keyboard at work*

13. Boffors says:

When I expressed my love for bacon TJ (http://temerity-jane.com/?p=398)pointed me to a great bacon alarm clock, http://www.mathlete.com/portfolio/wakeNbacon.php

14. Arren says:

I’m sorry, BBB. I can’t help myself. When a Druid talks about cooking, I’m reminded of this.

15. Kirk says:

Bacon… Here’s a small trick for you, BBB. Next time you render some bacon fat ‘right’, whip a few tablespoons into about a cup of mayonaisse – make sure you mark the mayo, of course. Yep – bacon flavored mayo.

For what it’s worth, I use a microwave to cook mine. I’ve got a ridged-bottom plate that keeps the bacon out of the rendered fat, and have to use a paper towel to stop the major spatters (whimper – lost fat). On MY machine, I start with a minute per slice and listen for the popping to stop (when the fat’s out…). YMMV, of course.

Oh, and just because… Take a baking potato, and slice it open. Scoop out a small hollow and pack it with bacon. Close, wrap firmly in foil, and bake as normal.

16. Lynda says:

Someone in my guild said they got a bacon chocolate bar for Christmas. I love bacon, and I love chocolate, but the idea of eating them together doesn’t really have an appeal.

17. Kat says:

Alton Brown!! I was privileged enough to get to meet him on one of his book tours. His is one of the only shows Husband and I can agree to watch together (besides MASH).

TYVM I am hungry now… I wonder if there is any bacon around.

18. Kel says:

woot! <<< also feral druid, also vegetarian! go us! lol

19. Lypi says:

Ha! Feral druid, and daughter of a butcher. I like my meat, tyvm.

And hubby and I have been heard to agree that “Anything is improved by the addition of bacon. Including bacon.”

Now, I’m not american, but he’s turned me on to streaky bacon, but I don’t like it too crispy, because it seems to lose a bit of flavour then.

20. […] love Bacon. Talked about it before, love it, live it. My idea of the perfect meal is a couple slices of toasted bread, some light […]