BBB has been after me to write this since last weekend (mostly because he was busy playing his priest and didn’t want to take time out to write a post). He says it’s because it’s something that other people can relate to and would love to see a post about (I say not true and refer to the real reason I stated above). But anyways, I finally caved, so here’s the post (well there’s some background I have to share first, so try to bear with me for a few minutes).

Back in September when I had a very weak moment and said, “want to set me up with a trial account so I can try out that “damn game?” (that’s how it was referred to in our house for the two years BBB was playing prior to my playing). But as I said, it was a weak moment, mostly in which I was trying to escape the reality of my family dealing with losing my dad last summer and I thought I’d try the game out for a few weeks and be distracted a bit from thinking.

BBB set me up, roughly explained the character types and then left me to do my thing with the creation screen. I made a priest (because I figured I’d be horrible at fighting and could at least heal myself). A day later at level 8, that character got abandoned because even though I was ok at healing myself, fighting as a low-level priest (who had never played an RPG before), well…sucked. I had made it to Goldshire and had started quests there and decided it just wasn’t fun and if I was going to play the “damned game,” it was at least going to be fun! Secretly I made a rogue and started playing before BBB came upstairs and caught me. That rogue is now 85% toward level 68.

In those first few days, BBB invited me to join the guild that his alts were a part of and the chat channel that he had with a few close friends, mostly so I could “talk” to him when I was playing on my computer upstairs and he was playing on his downstairs. He also thought I’d enjoy chatting with his best friends, and he was right. Ina, Mark, and Andy quickly became good friends (even if to this day, they don’t know my real name – hehe). I left James off that list because I knew him in RL before BBB and actually introduced them to each other, but it’s been fun to be able to talk to him and interact in situations other than RL too. There was a fifth member of that small chatting group (but he now remains nameless after having defected from all of us and hurting a lot of feelings in the process (was discussed in past BBB posts)).

Now a few months before I had even started playing, BBB used to talk about Kemangi, Tikky, Daak (and their eight billion alts – seriously, not much of an exaggeration there – they all have serious altitis). I used to nag him that if he was part of a small group of supposed good friends, he could at least know their real names and not refer to them by their character names when telling me about their group adventures. Happily, by the time, I joined the group, they actually all knew each others names and to this day, usually use them (except mine – hahaha- (oops, I’m going to be in trouble when they read this).

Anyways, moving on from my rambling (I swear there is a point coming up here soon). I’ve continued in this small “alt guild” and enjoyed talking with everyone and occasionally getting the chance for us to get together and do a minor instance or help each other with quests. Since everyone, except me, has a level 70, they’ve given me lots of advice and help over time and I’m now at a level where I can be the powerful one swooping in to protect their helpless alts. But generally when I have a bunch of quests that require more than just me, BBB comes over on Windshadow or Windstar and gives me a hand (mostly because Ina, Mark and Andy live in Singapore and the time difference makes it hard to get together except on weekends).

However, I’m now at the point of needing more instance runs and assistance with quest chains that go beyond what BBB and I can do as a twosome and he’s had to get his main guild (Legatum Ignavis) buddies to come help us. We’ve done some instances in HP, Zangermarsh, and most recently the Ring of Blood in Nagrand. Now everyone that has helped has been more than willing to come along and usually finds it fun to revisit things that they are so far beyond that we just breeze through things as they decimate all the bad guys in their path with the click of a couple of buttons (while I try to pretend that I’m being somewhat helpful, but know that usually it’s easier if I just stay out of their way and try not to get myself killed).

Again, they have fun, I get my quest rewards and occasionally some cool loot. But….I usually end up feeling bad because I’ve involved other people and taken them away from what they could be doing AND they can’t even say they were helping a guildie because I’m not one. BBB is, but it’s not the same. So I end up walking away saying to BBB, “ugh, I’m going to have to join your guild if we keep bugging your friends to help.”

As I said this most recently over the past weekend, he said “yep, type /gquit and I’ll invite you to join” (note this response was uttered about a million times by him followed up by “did you quit yet? Did you do it yet?” to which I would replay “ugh, no.”

Now what’s the problem…why can’t I just type that one phrase and suddenly have a whole new group of people to get to know?

Well, first, I like having just a few close friends to chat with (I’m very much an introvert) and although, everyone I’ve met from BBB’s guild has been great, offered advice and even sent me presents when I’ve leveled or cut gems for me for free – thanks Nawat! – it still feels like a big step to take. To suddenly have guild chat with hundreds of people (ok, in reality, they rarely have more than 25-30 people on at a time, but still the potential is there) and honestly, some of the guild chat I’ve seen while sitting next to BBB while he’s playing, says that there are some ridiculously obnoxious people that feel the need to share their opinions about everything and anything with the guild (and I’d have to be mature and not respond back telling them how completely dumb they are being). And then there’s the potential for drama (which you all know happens fairly regularly since BBB runs here to share it right away). I still have to hear about that as BBB rants, but beyond that, it doesn’t really affect me now because I’m not in the guild.

But on the other hand, there’s the reasons BBB offers -more people to play with and get to know, better guild bank, chance to eventually raid (yeah right, by the time I’ll be ready for Kara, there will have been like 5 new expansions and no one will remember Kara at all). Now some of those reasons do sound good and the reality is that everyone in our small guild is also in Legatum so I wouldn’t be losing them, just gaining new people. But I still can’t seem to make myself type that one little phrase.

So this is where all of you come in (assuming you’re still reading at this point and haven’t declared that I’m a nut and you’re busy writing BBB begging him to remove my admin posting permissions)….I’d like to hear experiences from people who may have started out in a smaller, “family” guild and then moved into a larger, more serious one. What did you like or not like? Were you happy with your choice in the end? Or for those that haven’t switched, why have you stayed with your smaller guild?

23 Responses to “Switching Guilds”
  1. Argonaut says:

Hey Cassie,

Heres a post I just wrote addressing your predicament, with some insight into a similar situation that I went through.

2. Matticus says:

My friends and I knew that sooner or later we’d have to go different ways. We still play together on occasion but we’re in different guilds doing different things and there’s no hate. We set up a little chat channel just for the sake of communication and stuff. That’s the reason why people form Guilds right? Just to be able to use /g with their friends.

3. Siha says:

Well, you already have the shared chat channel to stay in touch with your existing friends, so here’s what else I’d suggest.

Create a new chat tab, and hide it behind your existing chat tabs (back behind the combat log) – BBB can show you how to do this. Set it to show all the channels you’d normally talk in – /p, /whisper, your custom friends channel, etc… and guildchat.

Then go back to the main chat tab at the front of the pile, and turn /off/ guildchat there.

Start out by using the new custom chat tab you’ve made, and also when you join the guild make sure they know you’re a bit shy and sometimes you won’t talk much. Then you can chat away in /g, and if it starts getting out of hand and you feel swamped, just switch back to your original chat tab. Guildchat will be scrolling away on your custom tab, but it won’t be showing on your screen – you can go back to your custom tab if you /want/ to look at it, but if you want to avoid it for a while you don’t even have to actively ignore it, it just won’t even show up.

Then, as time goes by, you can start using the custom chat tab more often as you slowly get used to having a bigger, more dynamic guild chat around, but you’ve always got your /g-less main chat tab to go back to if you need it.

4. Ratshag says:

Hey there Cassie.

I started out in a teeny guild, never more than 10 of us, mostly buggers I’s known fer years. Was a nice bunch to hang with, and eventually ran instances with’em as I caught up to them level-wise. But they was burning out and one-by-one hung up they’s spurs. ‘Bought the time I got invited inta a much bigger, more active guild. Alliance instead of Horde, so I hadda start over, but it looked to be worth the effort. It were a little intimidating at first – lots more people, all of whom seemed to know each other and had all these inside jokes running on guild chat. But I hung arounds and listened and learned and got used to all the chatter and now I’s happy bantering away with’em. I likes how there’s always something going on – 25 mans or Kara or heroics or whatevers. Looks like as I reach the higher levels I’ll be ables to find someone to do stuff with fairly easy, unlike me old family guild where everything took three days to organize five people.

Anywho, that’s me experience. Hope some of it be relevant. Best of lucks to ya!

5. Morannon says:

Not exactly the same, but my guild merged with several other guilds to open up for some better progression. I’ve got say that the chat has at times become a bit “crowded” and less intimate (for lack of a better word…), but on the other hand I’ve gotten to meet some really nice people. There’s pro and cons with the bigger guild, but I’d say it’s really mostly a good thing – the bad seeds can come on the ignore list (unless they got Nick Cave along with them in which case they get on my playlist…).

6. Jarla says:

Hi Cassie,

first of all: thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! :)

Now, let me point out some things that I experienced when I joined a bigger guild. For me, it happened the other way round. I first was invited to a big guild by my brother when I started playing WoW. It was fun! People loved helping me, providing me with all sorts of things, running instances with me and having themselves fun, because everything was totally new to me and it must have been incredibly funny to watch me toddle around in my back then helpless way.

What I enjoyed the most was getting to know so many people, I simply loved to chat with everyone. Thus I got to know everyone quite well on a personal level and soon was made an officer in the guild (mainly for interpersonal problems, a counselor to mediate between guildmembers). It was fun. We held RL-meetings on my request and everyone loved it (about 20 members showed up each time, some traveling for 5 hours to get there, oh those good old times *sigh*).

My main (and back then my only char, hard to believe today though ;)) was a female troll warrior and I used to tank quite a lot. I liked it when I was running instances with some members of the guild. But soon enough, I learned to hate it when with other members, especially those who took and take the game way to serious. They critized me constantly. It seemed that whatever I was doing, it was never good enough.
    I know that I am still not “pro” and definitely wasn’t back then. But I did ok. Nothing major ever happend. It wasn’t as if I was constantly wiping the raid, not at all. Perhaps they were only mocking me, trying to tease. Anyways, it destroyed the fun for me totally. I got very angry during raids, unable to say something because I felt so dumb (who was I anyways, first time enrolling in a MMORPG. They did know how to play this game right, not me – unnecessary to say that they were all male, me the only female back then. Some of the bossying around probably also came from that). Stupid me.

This is where I try to come back to you. The way you described how you felt when BBB’s guild members helped you out: I don’t like it. Don’t say things like

“while I try to pretend that I’m being somewhat helpful, but know that usually it’s easier if I just stay out of their way and try not to get myself killed”

That makes me very sad. It’s exactly the way I felt. And it is not true at all. If they can’t take the time to play in a way that you can bring yourself in so that you also can have the feeling of achieving something, having contributed something to the group than they are not really helping you at all.

It took me a long time to figure this out myself (and many tears I can tell you that). Luckily, there were a few members at that big guild who understood that I always tried to give my best and didn’t mind that it took us two hours clearing Stratholme instead of one. So what! It was fun! They didn’t hurry me to pull and they didn’t mind explaining a strategy for the fifth time. I got some of my self-convidence as a tank back with them, but something got lost in the process. I haven’t tanked now for a long time and the warrior is still at 60, untouched.

Nowadays, I am in a guild that consists of ten members (six of which are actively playing), all coming from the big guild, longing for something slower, but with more playing fun in it. I have never been happier in the game.

I am not telling you not to join BBB’s guild. I am actually quite positive that you should do it, giving it a try at least. It will be a whole new thing, with lots of possibilities. And you shouldn’t miss to experience this part of the WoW-world also.
    But please, don’t do it, if you feel the way you described in your post. This game is so fast and all those very experienced people tend to make it even faster. Don’t let them rush you. You can always contribute something to a group, if they let you. So it can never be your fault alone if you feel useless.

I am sorry for the length of this reply. Somehow your post upset me pretty much.
    I am very eager to hear about your decision – and even more to hear from you about your first experiences in the new guild. ;)

All the best to you! :)

7. Alnitaq and Cieiti; Akama says:

Hi Cassie,

I went through a very similar thing. I was introduced to the “damn game” about 8 months ago by a group of RL friends. I had a great time levelling up and learning my way around Azeroth and, eventually, Outland. My friends had 70s, but there were also a few alts around my level, and even one or two mains who I caught up to and eventually passed.

About 4 months after I started playing, two of my friends took their mains off to a raiding guild full of some very cool people, but they still hung out with us, helped us out with quests, and poured tons of cool things into our humble little guild bank. Not long after that, the guild they had joined merged with a much larger raiding guild, but life in our little guild went on undisturbed. My little hunter finally got himself up to 70 and, spurred on by all the stories I’d heard of how cool these raids were, I got him keyed up for Kara and set aside one entire bag in the bank for “raid consumables”. I also read BRK and made sure to get all my gear enchanted as well as I could and basically did everything in my power to ensure I’d be ready if I ever got the chance to get into a raid.

All that preparation paid off, as one night my two raiding friends whispered me to ask if I felt like helping them out with Karazhan. I was super nervous, but I jumped at the chance, and came away from that evening the proud owner of my T4 gloves and the Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle.

The very next day, my raiding friends were back in our guild, having left their raiding guild. Some drama had occurred, and the great majority of the members of their original raiding guild had left the larger guild they had merged with.

A week later, the smaller raid guild re-formed, and began actively recruiting.

My two friends went off to raid once more, and encouraged those of us who wanted to join them to come with. I thought long and hard about it. It felt, in a way, like a betrayal to think about leaving the guild I’d “grown up” in. In many ways, the place was home. It was very small, i knew everyone there, and there were only a few people in the guild who I didn’t know in person–and they were RL friends of RL friends. Still, I had been losing interest in my hunter until I got a taste of raiding. PvP wasn’t really my thing, and I’d maxed out my professions. I had about the best blue gear I was going to get (well, except for those damn green boots that I’m still wearing with my 3/5 T4), and I had all the heroic keys. There just wasn’t much for me to do, except sit in Shatt for hours hoping that some group somewhere would actually need to PUG a hunter (my home town guild was, strangely, exclusively dps classes. We had one prot warrior at 70, but he stopped playing about the time I was level 40).

So I mulled it over in my mind, I slept on it, and the next day I decided I was going to go raid. I typed that /gquit, and boy was it rough–but it was made much easier by knowing that my /ginvite was going to be followed immediately by an invite to another Kara run. I don’t remember what, if any, phat lootz dropped for me that night, but I do remember that I pulled aggro off the main tank on Prince and wiped us. I got made fun of for that, but there were no hard feelings, so all was good.

After I left the hometown guild, pretty much all the other 70s did as well. Our guild still exists, but it’s mostly an alt repository. On the one hand, that makes me a little sad some times, but on the other hand, it’s nice to have it there as a retreat from the madding crowd. We all still send stuff off to our old guild bank when we have excess stuff–lately my transmute-spec alchemist friend and I have been making the old guild bank tons of cash by making and then cutting Relenless Earthstorm Diamonds. I’m a miner, and we both maxxed fishing, so the primals are easy to come by.

The raiding guild is a lot of fun. Sometimes, some of the people get to be a little much, but it didn’t take me long to develop a filter, so I could tune out the more banal commentary. Mostly, though, it’s been a real learning experience. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable people in the guild, which is great, and there’s almost always someone available to help out with an enchant, or a quest, or to act as a guard during the Great Stranglethorn PvP Massacre–oops, I mean fishing extravaganza.

On top of that, there are lots of opportunities to try new things by helping other people out. I got to 70 having run very few instances, and was a little insecure about them for a while, but being in the raiding guild and getting asked to help people run a quick heroic has definitely expanded my horizons that way.

Ultimately, I would say go for it. For starters, bear in mind that if you don’t like it, you can always go back. Odds are, though, that you’ll enjoy it. Keep any alts you might have in your original guild, and go play there whenever you feel like you need some time away from everyone else. I don’t generally make it common knowledge that I have a few alts floating around, and the only people who know them in my raiding guild are the friends from my home guild. That way, if I feel like getting away, I can, and I know that I won’t have to worry about people whispering me to see if I want to do x, y, or z real quick.

My bet, though, is that you’ll be only too happy to have the wider world of raids to jump into once you hit 70. And don’t worry too much about catching up–it’s pretty amazing how quickly you can get geared up if you’re running with a bunch of folks who don’t need the stuff that’s dropping because they’ve already got it all.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you enjoy the game.

Alnitaq and Cieiti
    Akama

8. Asara says:

There is some very sage advice here already, but I want to contribute my small story too, in case it does some good.

When I first started, I was completely on my own. I knew NO ONE in the game at all, and muddled through things as best as I could. I got picked up into a guild, a pretty small one, but the people were nice, and helped me figure out a few things about my character and class. Then one day I was in Menethil and saw a recruitment message for a guild called Spanish Inquisition. The Monty Python reference caught me like not much else could have, and with shaking fingers I typed the dreaded /gquit. I liked the people in my first guild a lot, but I thought perhaps I’d find some more kindred spirits in a guild named after a Monty Python sketch. I didn’t quit the nice way either.. but of course, at the time I didn’t know there WAS a nice way. I quit and explained later when someone asked.

After about a week, I was a wreck. These people had been playing together for quite a while, nobody really talked to me much, and I was feeling pretty out-of-place. I saw my old GM online, and asked him if maybe I could come back. He said he’d have to talk to the officers about it, because he didn’t like the idea of people quitting and just coming back whenever they wanted to. I was in tears, literally. These two groups of people were the only in-game people I knew, and the old ones didn’t want me back and the new ones were just too new.

I decided to stick it out with my new guild, which was just as well, because I never heard anything back from my old GM at all. And I can say now with confidence that it was the best thing I’ve ever done. I started talking more in guild chat, and eventually got on more friendly terms with a lot of people. One of them even told me once that I was their favorite hunter. That meant so much to me, because I had no idea really how these people felt about me, even then. I leveled to 60 with that guild, and when they started raiding, I was right there with them. I was there for the first guild kill of Hakkar, which will always be a special memory. I was eventually promoted to officer as well.

There were some growing pains when the expansion came out, and the guild ended up disbanding. But it eventually re-formed, and by this time my hubby and I were both 70. A few months later he decided that he was ready to do some raiding, and we applied and were accepted back into my old “family”, even though there were very few people in it who had been there the first time around. We’re still there, and I am still super jazzed to be a part of the guild. Hubby has had some doubts, but he has also stuck with me, (in large part because he knows how much I love some of the people in the guild.. I mean, I’ve been playing with them for over 2 years now!) and was recently promoted to Class Leader Assistant.

So personally, I would say give it a try. You’ve still got the safety net of your current guild if the larger guild environment doesn’t work out for you, and the added benefit of already knowing a bunch of the people that are already members. If nothing else, you’ll learn a bit more about what you like and don’t like about guilds.. then if BBB’s doesn’t work out for you, you’re 1. better armed to find one that will be a better fit if you do want to raid, and 2. still connected to his guild if the people you ARE comfortable with are running Kara or something else and need a rogue :)

Best of luck to you, however things turn out!

9. Denahi says:

Very good advice in the comments, and something I can’t top in terms of quality…however, just wanted to share my thoughts.
    Our guild is the casual family style, and have recently lost a chunk ofour higher-lvl folks to a larger raid-ready guild. I’m still friends with them, but prefer to more laid back approach that my current guild has. none of us are 70 yet, though some are getting close, and we just enjoy each other’s company.

So, as said many times on many blogs, and even by the Shatner himself…. What’s your game? Play how you enjoy, and don’t feel pressured to hook up with a big group unless you really want to. The drama is there, but the possibility of fun is just as huge. so it’s your decision. Enjoy!

10. Aertho says:

When I left my timezone, and couldn’t raid with the guys I’d done everything with for the past 2 years, I left my guild too. I needed to find a new team, they needed to find a new tank. It was a simple and understandable break. But to ease the pain, I did what Siha suggested, and built a chat channel for my friends.

It doesn’t have raids scheduled, it doesn’t have a guild bank, or ranks. But it does have over 50 people with over a hundred alts with too much time and a lot of loyalty.

It’s gotten to the point where greenchat is empty or ignored because they’re just my “raid team”, and the people I listen to, rush to help, look forward to seeing, and enjoy my time in the game with, are in orange.

So guild hop! Meet new people! Experience how others play, and how others interact! But I can’t stress how great having a “friend” chat channel is. It keeps us together.

11. Amanna says:

Cassie,

Just a couple quick thoughts before I have to run.

First – it sounds like there is never a lack of conversation around the dinner table at your house… lol!!!

But I digress…

All I would say is not to confuse friendship and camraderie with guild membership and vice versa. You can have both. Whether you quit your current guild, stay friends with them, and join BBB’s guild; OR stay with your current guild and go on runs with BBB’s guild, you have to feel good about what you’re doing and why. If you quit your current guild and join the new one simply because it’s your husbands, I would be afraid that you’ll be contanstanly beating yourself up over it. The game is meant to be fun.

The last comment I would make is too often we tend to make big decisions in a vaccuum. You might be surprised at the response you got if you just opened up to your current guild about your current dilemna and asked them what THEY thought. I find that honesty and transparency really helps the ole’ guilt thing a lot.

Best of luck whatever you choose. Just keep it fun.

12. Anna says:

Cassie –

I’ve made the switch both ways – from a large, busy guild to a small close-knit guild and then back again. In my case, the small close-knit guild suffered an attack of Real Life, so we decided to create a separate chat channel (which I have colored green – just like guild chat) to keep in touch with while we all sorted out other things. But we talked about it as a guild – and I definitely think you should talk to your guild about it, like Amanna says above me :) The chat channel solution really did let me feel like I was in two guilds at once!

The other thing is, don’t get discouraged about the change – it’s always a leap of faith to leave one guild for another, even if you already know all the people – seeing a different tabard and a different list in the /guild tab takes some getting used to. I think the suggestion from Siha to set up various chat channel tabs in your chat window is AWESOME. That’ll let you decide how much you want to put into guild chat at any given time, and still let you have some quiet time :)

Good luck!!

13. toque says:

Akama please tell me those green boots aren’t Duro Footgear http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=30273

I know 2 other hunters with all blue/purple except those boots.

Also Cassie i’m in a similar situation. My guild is a casual raiding guild and has cleared Kara a few times and started on Zul’aman. I was invited into the guild (and WOW) by my cousin, and i really like her and the rest of guild. They are very supportive and always planning how to get me geared up and keyed so I can join them raiding. But they’re never on the same time I am, and I can’t be on during the posted raid times. Even though I’m in a great guild with a ton of great people, i’m still pugging instances every day.

I won’t quit the guild, but I might make an alt to join another guild that raids when I can be on.

14. Seper says:

Its quite simple really. What are you playing for? The chance to raid things and win phat epics? Or are you playing cause you like to play with friends?

If your hear to raid and progress and pvp.. then joining BBB’s guild would be the right decision.. if you play to chat and quest and farm. Then stay where you are!

I know people who stay in guilds that have been farming karazhan and only kara for months.. but they are their cause their all friends.

I left that guild because I want to raid and progress. I konw that I will keep in touch with those old friends, but ill make new ones.

It will be rough for the first couple weeks.. but you said you had a chat channel for those friends of yours. Theirs no reason to be in a guild then.

Hope that helps..

15. stobnor says:

There is some fantastic advice above that I can’t come close to matching, but…

I’ve had a couple of strange Guild events in my WoW “career”, and thought I’d share them…

When I started playing, I knew noone else on the realm – a couple of RL friends played, but were pretty hard core, so I was very nervous of playing in their company…

So I started up, with a Druid as it was the class that appealed to me most, and played through a good few levels guild-less.

Then I was invited to a guild and thought it was great – people to talk to and everything… The guild was pretty easy going – but then I was only level 40-odd, so was having fun running around questing – not really any need for much help…

Then, all of a sudden, the guild fell apart – I still don’t know why, to this day – and as I was the only member online at the time, I ended up as GM… I was unwilling to let it fold, but also didn’t have the ability or time to keep it going, so it languished as a shadow of it’s former self for a while – a guild without direction or motivation – and with few lvl 70s!

After a little while, I discovered forums and found a new guild… And then had the trauma of the whole /gquit thing…

So I joined a good guild, and got to level 70, and read all the blogging world had to say about druids…

My new guild feels like home, but is falling apart a bit due to the need of some people to raid – my RL commitments mean that I’m unlikely to join in with that, but i’d love to – but hopefully we’ll still have something of the fun and friendship that’s in the current guild anyway… Old members who’ve left still /w me to ask how things are going, so hopefully i’ve left an impression!

Lost my point somewhere up there, I think, but my advice is… Don’t worry about it – it’s only a game and those who do care about what you think won’t judge you for trying something different!

16. graylo says:

I think I know a bit how you feel. When I was thinking of making my first big guild change I felt the same reluctance. This is a situation you are used to and comfortable with, but ultimately it’s not satisfing.

There are the things you need to remember.
    1. What kind of guild do you want? What type of experiance are you looking for? Does you current guild satisfy those needs? Does your possible new guild satisfy them better? – These are the most important questions to answer. Its your 15 dollars a month. Playing the game the way you find most satisfing is the most important thing.
    2. True WoW friendships don’t care about guild. This has been proven to me by the recent issues with my guild. I now have friends spreadout in several guilds and I keep pretty close contact with them through a private channel. Even the people that are not in that channel I don’t have a problem talking with. Who cares if they helped you out with a quest or an instance? That was their own choice and as long as you are willing to return the favor most of them won’t care that your not in their guild.

17. Alnitaq and Cieiti says:

@ toque:

Heh–yep, those are the boots in question. Good to know I’m not the only one out there with that problem. After last night’s 3 hour 28 minute full clear of Kara (!!!!) once again didn’t get me the boots I want ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28746 ), it looks like it’s time to go do BGs long enough to get the PvP boots.

Alnitaq and Cieiti

18. Asara says:

@Altnitaq – Awww, too bad you weren’t with us last night, I think they dropped for both of our Kara groups! :( Keep at it, you’ll get ‘em eventually :) Heck, we have a hunter who’s been running Kara for almost a year now and has yet to get his hands on Sunfury, and another hunter who was on one of his first guild runs and got Wolfslayer AND Sunfury in one run. Drops are weird things.

19. Mooire says:

Cassie,

Like you, I began playing WoW as grief management. My Neice took her own life a little over two years ago. Sadly, dealing with grief from a suicide is extremely difficult…not just because of the additional emotions that have to be dealt with in reguards to suicide, but because of all the chaos and drama within our family that has been caused from her death. After a year of trying to help my family with their grief and ‘mediate’ them and their differences with how they dealt with it, I was wore down emotionally and mentally and got back into WoW as an escape mechanism.

At first, it was just my husband and I playing babies (new chars) by ourselves and it was what I needed at that time. No people to deal with, something to get into and occupy my mind to keep it off of ‘everything else’. But, then, BC came out and my husband wanted to level his rogue to 70 and raid with our long time guild. I had a level 60 Druid and he talked me into leveling with him. At first, I felt I wasn’t ready to ‘deal with people’. But, he assured me we could level just the two of us and I could ignore guild chat, for the most part. So, I started playing my Druid and found out I really did like her (I hated her before…when the game first started and had quit after a year.). Honestly, even though I didn’t feel ready for it, joining the guild and interacting with more people helped to pull me out of the depression I didn’t even realize I was in. As time went on, our Druid class officer switched characters and I was made the new one. I didn’t feel ready for that, either, but it was something I needed (without realizing it) to pull me out even further. Blogging on my Druid blog helped as well.

When dealing with grief, the inclination is to pull back within yourself. Honestly, that is needed for a while to help you process and accept it. But, eventually, you do have to start taking steps to reconnect with others. With me, it seemed that each new thing that required me to interact with others happened before I was ready. However, looking back, it happened exactly when I needed it. Kinda like that saying, ‘The teacher will appear when the student is ready.’ so do events that require change when change is needed.

So, in summary, join the guild, stay in the chat channel with your friends, and slowly get used to being more involved with others. Also, come here and blog more about your experiences! It helps. :)

/hugs

20. Oingo says:

Hey Cassie

If it’s any consolation, I decided to have a go at making my own guild to see what it was like. So I went ahead and moved Dura over to this new guild (leaving your/our guild). So if I can move Dura and set up a whole other guild, you really needn’t worry too much about leaving… onwards and upwards ;-)

We will always use the chat channel. It’s been great for those rare moments when we actually manage to coordinate something across all those time zones.

Oh, and Ina and I do know your name. I don’t know why we’ve never used it in-game. I’ll use it next time =)

/hugs
    Tikky

21. Badb says:

I’ve just recently left the guild I helped found (was co-gm) about a year ago. A friend and I founded a little guild, mostly for our friends in Rl but also for people we made friends with in the game and ran it from 40-70. We even got a kara team running, then we merged with another guild, adopted that gm as a co-gm and continued on.

By this point my friend and I were a bit burnt out, the guild started loosing level 70s and our kara team and a half fell to half a team. And neither of us could face the work it would take to strengthen the guild again. We talked about it and decided to step down and let someone else take over from here. So we ended up guildless, we picked a guild to join, my friend joined and I applied (i work, he doesn’t).

Its now beginning to look like I probably wont get in as they have enough feral druids and as resto I’m under geared.

However taking the step away while very very very hard, has been a growing and positive experience. The weight of GMship was very heavy and I’m a lot more relaxed and less stressed playing now.

Go for it. Its best to follow your heart and take the chance. Your friends won’t stop talking to you and worst case you will still get to hang out with BRK and chat with friends on private channels.

22. Bordektor says:

I’ve found that I prefer larger guilds, I’ve tried both, a smaller guild with my RL friends and several larger one with people who all know each other and where I’m a complete stranger.
    Part of the fun with joining a new large guild is meeting lots of new people and making friendships (As well as getting geared. :P)
    The small guild was great too, and I had the same problem where I was really unsure about leaving, but if the people you’re in the guild with are really your friends, then they’ll understand why you’re leaving. gl finding a new guild :D

23. Karedas says:

I have a 70 Blue/Purple Hunter with the Duro Footgear (ARG!!!) as well.

Anyway, my alt a 38 Druid recently joined a guild that I thought was going to be ok. I had seen the gm on his alt for a few days questing in the same area as me and we grouped a few times even running the Stocks together.

So I joined. Since then I have been leveling (10 since I first met him) and am really disappointed in the guild. For the last few weeks only one, at most 2 other members are online at a time. Typically a 70 warlock and maybe a real lowbe 7-10 level. (BTW the guy I originally grouped with has only leveled up once) So of course I keep seeing all the join guild channel spam and see over and over guilds that are advertising helping leveling/running instances etc. Now I am having second thoughts.

Since I rarely see the GM online anymore I cannot even discus this with him. I don’t really want to ninja quit but I do want to advance my play experience and I just don’t think I am getting the benefits of a guild with them.

The only consolation is that I really haven’t made any friends/commitments with them.