Yeah, so, I’m headed out the door in five minutes. And as you know, brevity was never my strong suit. But I’ll try.

Cassie and I ran Karazhan together last night with an awesome set of guildies…. but because the guild had a Karazhan group the night before, and put together a ZA group the same night as our run, we took people that were eager to go, rather than try and pick and choose for a mix of classes.

Our only real swap out, was a friend of one guildie, a Fury warrior not in our guild, was going to go along, but we asked her to step out so we could have one of our guildies bring her priest on the run rather than her mage.

Our breakdown for the run was:

• One feral druid
  • Three mages
  • Two paladins
  • One priest
  • One hunter
  • One rogue
  • One healing shaman

Now, heres the fun part… both paladins were specced healing, along with the shaman. However, we got Gerolan the paladin and Teysa the shaman to bring their tanking and enhancement sets with them.

Why, B^3, where’s your off tank? Well, we didn’t really use a dedicated tank. instead, Gerolan stayed healing specced and threw on his tanking set when we need an off tank for Moroes.

We cleared through and downed Curator last night, and it was much more fun than normal because we had to change things up so much.

On Attumen, I handled tank and off tank while everyone else did healing, and we used the priest shackle and the hunter ice trap for crowd control. At one point, early on against the trash, a two horsie and 1 stable hand pull, I looked up and did a quick horsie count… 1… 2… 3… 4… wtf?

Someone got feared into the 4 pull. So we had 7 on us, and I started tab targeting ansd swiping and jinking around, Shadewynn kept one shackled and was overhealing, DPS went nuts in a free for all, and Gandoulf kept his kited cause it broke trap early.

No one died. It was rather exhilirating. It’s one thing to say you lived… it’s another to say, “We pulled an extra 4 on that fight, and no one died.”

That’s the kind of thing that brings home how much fun it is to play with friends that are on top of their game.

Anyway, on Attumen, I simply tanked both Midnight and Attumen. I used my two trinkets in order, kept them ocpied, and we got the job done. First time I ever took on both, and in my opinion, it went faster than we’re used to.

On heading to Moroes, obviously we had some worries. Gerolan was going to have to be an off tank, and he got his tanking gear, but he didn’t respec. We figured we’d give it a try.

We wiped twice trying to figure out how to take the adds down in the right sequence, but what we ended up with, was I pulled the enemy, and when Shadewynn shackled one I pulled the rest further away so consecrate wouldn’t break it. I don’t know what I just said, it’s just what Gerolan told me. I don’t understand pally tanking, so please don’t flame me, I got enough to do trying to master hunting, druids and now priests, ok?

Anyway, we had an X target and Moroes. I kept the X and Moroes, while there was a shackle and a kite/ice trap, and everyone burned down the loose one first.

After the loose one was down, they killed the ice trap, and then my X. Then it was all out on Moroes, and he went down smooth and easy. Finish up on shackle, and we looked around and went “Whee”.

Moving on, we were running late if we wanted to down Curator on a work night, so we skipped Maiden to go straight to Opera.

After he got back, the whole nature of the game changed. His threat generation so outstripped mine in an AOE, that I started spending more and more time as a Cat. By the time we actually got to Opera, and got the Big Bad Wolf, I was running cat in kitty gear full time. Gerolan full prot is just that badass.

I’d run down the Opera fight, but I don’t have to. I recorded it in movie form, and if I can find a damn song that is two minutes long, I’ll post it up today or tomorrow. It was fast and fun.

After that, Gerolan just tanked as I did kitty DPS, and we cleared up to Curator. one of the mages had to leave (bye bye, Unprodigy!), but that let us bring another of my favorite players in, Kellas, the priest class lead for Legatum.

I did the tanking on the Syphoners, of course, since apparently mana drain and pally tanks don’t mix well. But on Curator, again I was mostly Kitty and made sure I stayed #2 on threat (to take the hurtful bolts or hateful bolts, or whatever it’s called), while Gerolan spanked Curator.

Seriously. It was a lot of fun. At the end, someone noticed that Teysa was way high up on damage charts. Turns out the little bastard was doing DPS in enhancement gear most of the time because our healers were so incredible.

Just kidding Teysa. You know we love you.

Anyway, thats my breakdown of last night.

Anyone got any “We did Karazhan with a wierd mix of peeps” story they’d like to share, or one on their blog they’d like to link to? I always find them great fun to read.

Have a great weekend!

11 Responses to “Nibbles and bite sized pieces”
  1. Softi says:

sounds like a fun run! Love it when everything goes well like that :D

2. Bellwether says:

I’d say “we used to always do Kara without priests” and break into the awesome stories there, but I’ve talked about it before :P

3. Lin [EG] says:

That sounds like a challenge and a blast, BBB. Who else would dare to take on that challenge but you lot?

4. Mooberry says:

LOL last Kara I did was with 2 DPS warriors, my Bear Tank, a shaman healer, a healadin, a tree, a rogue, a lock, a shadow priest, and a mage. We got a full clear including Illhoof, Netherspite, and Nightbane. We did Attunmen the same way you did and we used a warrior to OT for Moroes. Romeo and Juliet had us putting both warriors fighting for aggo and interupting Juliet.

5. Fimlys says:

Hmm.. Seems that I have a post about karazhan every week.. At least 2.. LOL.. Some of those have odd mixes. On Wednesday we had * Tanks: Prot Warrior, Arms Warrior (!), * Healing: Holy Priest (me), Disc Priest, Holy Pally, * DPS: 3 Mages, 2 Hunters

Nothing all that odd.. But there have been other times when we were definitely pushing the envelope.

6. AgroBear says:

I’ve done odd combos for Kara but the oddest I’d read about was on WoWInsider a couple weeks back (I think) 10 pallies ran it for fun.

7. Dimo says:

Hey there! Love your “non-standard” Kara run story – just one comment

“We weren’t sure what event we might get, and if it was Romulus and Juliet we would need two real tanks. So gerolan hearthed and respecced full prot.”

My pet (an Owl) has tanked Juliet for all of phase 3 without dying or losing aggro – he has off-tanked all of Kara up through Curator for the last few runs. I have an “Uber-pet” BM spec and Leggings of Beast Mastery, which helps. More pushing the envelope 8-)

Dimo of TNT on Gnomeregan

8. Aurik says:

I’m not one for posting about full instance /raid runs on my blog but we’ve certainly done some interesting group runs to Kara.

One of the most fun was the all melee dps run – 2 rogues, 3 fury warriors, I think. “Can’t do Kara with all melee ;P” we were told. Bugger that – did everything except Illhoof with absoloutely no issues at all. Then there was last Kara – 3 feral druids and a tree in one 10 man group was just… funny. The mages were getting innervates if they wanted them and noone had to worry about dying (“ofc we have a battle res up!”).

It was only recently, too, that I witnessed our own feral druids tanking both Attumen and Midnight at the same time. I hadn’t even considered it! To be honest I find non-standard runs the best – after you’ve run it so many times it can be nice to loosen up and just see what you can get away with.

Nice entry, keep ‘em coming – it’s way more interesting to see stories of this kind rather than the “we took the perfect setup and pwnd flawlessly, lolz” kind some people write.

/hug
    /vanish

9. Ngita says:

After a year of Kara, You tend to get all sorts of odd combinations of alts who want to do it.

Our weirdest would have been 4 hunters, 4 druids, 2 shaman, We wiped once on maiden and had to swap a main pally in for that fight otherwise good all the way to prince. Skipped illhoof, ns as we often do.

10. Bordektor says:

On a semi-related note, I was in a wsg with Teysa couple days ago. lol, just remembered the name.

11. Matford, Nagrand says:

In all honesty I have much more fun clearing a hard heroic with undergeared / bad makeup runs where all the people are willing to work towards it than cruising through on ezy mode. Makes you think, keeps you sharp and is much more satisfying.