MyDivinity wrote in with a pretty nice email yesterday, and to prove to you that I do actually read your email, when by some fluke my contact form blocker messes up and lets your messages slip through, I thought I’d answer it on da blog.

This email is verified TJ safe by a trained cadre of college campus squirrels renowned for their ability to detect puffed up self written emails. And to extort nuts. If at a college campus, be sure to carry extra nuts, because the nuts they want to grab may be yours.

MyDivinity writes;

Hello there BBB~~

I rolled a druid for the very first time, and I have a few questions.

1) Can you do some sort of post where you recommend where to put your talent points as you level up? (Or point me in the direction of where I can obtain it.)

2) Should I be skilling up my weapon skills? Is it even worth it? Since while shape-shifted you are not actually using the said weapon.

3) Why do I see most druids using a 2-handed mace or a staff? Would I be laughed at for using a 1 handed mace? Or a dagger for that matter? I’m assuming that people use 2 handed, because they offer a larger stat bonus.

4) How do you type with boxing gloves on your hands?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your email, MyDivinity! Let’s see what we can do about answering yuor questions…

1) Since you didn’t specify whether you intend to elvel as a feral druid (the only sane choice, imo) or as one of those insane explosive BOOMkins, I’ll point you towards both. I wrote a couple of articles about this on WoW Insider a few months back, one dedicated to feral leveling talent builds, and one that was guest-written by Phaelia of Resto4Life and Nasirah of A Tale of Two Druids that looks at leveling the leafy or feathery ways.

By the way, while it is sad that A Tale of Two Druids is no longer active, have no fear, you can continue to enjoy the adventures of Nasirah over at Alts Ahoy! A great writer, as always I recommend you go check it out.

I hope that one of those two articles will help guide you in spending your talent points to achieve your elveling goals. Don’t forget to read the comments either, since there are lots of great suggestions for doing things differently than what I recommended, that might work even better for you.

2) In my opinion, don’t worry about it. Weapon skills, as you point out, do not matter when shifted into forms. I believe that my own weapon skills aren’t maxed out, STILL, since if I get close enough to melee, I’m clawing.

3) Yes, the reason is itemization at upper elvels. There are lots of two handed maces and staves with a bonus to Feral Attack Power when shifted, something that is lacking on other weapon types. For balance and resto, however, there is a far wider range of weapon types you could use.

Since those Feral AP bonus weapons don’t start appearing until the end, though, don’t hesitate to use a good dagger with Str, Agi, Sta and AP and a good off hand if you come across them. Early on, some of the Of The Tiger stuff is pretty nice, too.

4) Umm… I don’t. I can’t wear boxing gloves, because my paws are so big they don’t slip in very well. Also, taping up beforehand is a nightmare, because the adhesive sticks to the fur.

I stick to my system of keeping my claw tips trimmed nicely to make typing on the keys easier. It’s taken a lot of practise, I can’t touch type at all, but it works pretty good.

Thanks a lot for your email, and good luck with your new druid. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

12 Responses to “I answer an email for a change”
  1. Dammerung says:

There are a couple of amazing 2-handed BS maces in the 20’s. Good druidy stats I think.

I think these are the correct links.

Random information that doesn’t really affect the article but something I thought of.

2. Well, MyDivinity, I wonder if he was being funny or if the Strong Bad reference was lost on him?

Anyway, I got a Manual Crowd Pummeler (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9449) from Gnomer and used it until my 40s, I think, until I replaced it with a lucky “of the Tiger” drop.

3. becca says:

I just rolled a druid too (I have this twisted notion of a collect-them-all healer set) that I’m planning on leveling up feral. Granted, I’m only lvl 14 so far, but I’ve been having a blast. Your feral guide on wow insider has been a lot of help so far. I’m liking the class a lot better than one aborted try ages ago where I didn’t do any research beforehand.

4. Ikryeax says:

BBB, I hope you know that last item is a web-comic joke reference.

If not, head over to http://www.homestarrunner.com and enjoy!

(It is little kid and work friendly)

5. Pete says:

I’m feral l46, using [Loksey's Training Stick], along with [Triprunner Dungarees], Nightscape stuff, and other agility things. Should I bother with strength at all?

The sheer variety of handy tricks possible as a druid is great :)

6. Kal says:

Ah, Strong Bad references never get old.

Pete, really – don’t worry about gear. Just get to outlands and you’ll be fine. When you hit 50 you’ll get mangle and gear won’t matter anyway.

7. Bordektor says:

You should make your own fingers and attach them to the glove. One of them should be a shrimp. :P

Ahhh, Strong Bad. Got it.

Ummm…. I told you guys I ain’t cool. I used to read (and listen/watch, lol) Strong Bad, but I don’t think I been back to that website in… ummm… 6 years?

Damn, I can’t even remember why I stopped going. There have been TONS of humor/comedy/ webcomic sites I have read in the past and don’t anymore.

I’ll have to go on back and check it out again.

9. Bellwether says:

Weapon types depend on what class you ultimately choose.

At 70:
    2-handed maces, staves: Feral
    1-handed maces, staves: Resto
    Daggers, staves: Boomkin
    Fist Weapon: Um…ha…

The difference between feral, resto and boomkin staves is easy. One will have melee atp, one will have more +healing than +dmg, and one will have equal +dmg/healing.

10. steve says:

Wow,

You actually posted my email. Sweet, in hindsight I wish I had said something cooler..!

Thanks for the links, I’m going to copy them into notepads then email them to myself so that I can read them at work. Dang IT guys.

-Steve

11. Urthona says:

Hey BBB, I fell off the planet and woke up under a rock. That happens when the Alliance implodes and you find yourself leveling a Horde shaman.

It’s too bad you never quite finished your How To Level a Druid series. As long-winded as it was, it had a lot of information that could’ve become a guidepost for those lost in lower levels of druidty.

For brevity’s sake, here’s my advice for lowbie droodz:

Levels 1-10: Control
    Without feral forms, a young druid is reliant on Entangling Roots, Wrath, and in the case of caster mobs, learning LOS. While gear stats at this level is largely negligent, make sure it’s leather. Gearing with a mind toward intellect and stamina, “Of the Eagle”, will help in that effort.

Levels 11-20: Overpowering the Enemy
    At 10, we get bearform, which behaves similarly to a warrior. By combining the skills we learned in 1-10(root & nuke) with the added benefit of the highly armored Bear form, a young druid can overwhelm anything that outlasts Roots and closes the gap to melee range. Leather with stamina and strength, “Of the Bear”, helps at this level. Stopping by Deadmines to pick up Rhak’zor’s Hammer and Smite’s Mighty Hammer will help a great deal now and in later levels. The former is excellent for its stamina, and will help when tanking for small groups. The latter has strength and agility for solo work.

Levels 21-30: Destruction
    At 20, we get catform, which behaves similarly to a rogue. We also get Starfire and can spec for Insect Swarm, which adds to our caster arsenal. A druid can choose to go full bore feral and gear for stats which increase a cat’s power and efficiency, strength and agility(“Of the Tiger”), or continue the root & nuking strategies by maximizing intellect and building spelldamage, at the sometime expense of leather armor class. The Manual Crowd Pummeler from Gnomeregan will help those speccing Feral, and the Rod of the Sleepwalker from Blackfathom Deeps will help the would-be Moonkin. It’s at these levels that a druid will being to collect multiple sets of gear, so noww is a goodd time to get the Outfitter or ItemRack add-on.

Levels 31-40: Group Dynamic
    Quests and zones after level 30 begin to require travelling across the World of Warcraft, seeing new places and getting questchains that send one to dungeons. It’s at this point that Druids learn how to tank, or how to heal, through running dungeons like Scarlet Monastery. Any druid, regardless of spec, can easily tank or heal pre-level 40 dungeon like SM, it just takes patience, practice, and gearing appropriately for your role. That means a set of stamina/strength/agility set for bear tanking, and intellect/spirit/spellpower set for healing. It’s also at these levels that druids learn to roll on everything they can possibly use. All druids should try to gain the Hand of Right

Levels 41-50: Specialization
    At 40, a druid has access to Leader of the Pack, Moonkin Form, or Swiftmend. Choosing one of those talents means a druid has pretty much chosen the role he or she wants the druid to perform. Druids become better tanks with the addition of Dire Bear form’s armor multiplier, and that’s put to the test in complex, hard hitting dungeons like Uldaman. For Ferals, there’s the Ironshod Bludgeon from Uldaman. After the Illusionary Rod from Scarlet Monastery, Balance and Restos can try for Zum’rah’s Vexing Cane from Zul’Aman.

Levels 51-60: Becoming The Best.
    Level 50 brings a class quest that sends one to Sunken Temple to retrieve an item with a choice of rewards that are specifically tailored to each spec. Any of these items are great for the final 10 levels of Azeroth. Use these last levels to stretch yourself and see how much damage you can do in any of your forms, implementing new attack rotations while maintaining awareness of your surroundings and your part members. Zones like Eastern Plaguelands and Silithus become nonstop warfare with the amount of mobs and quests, think of them as playgrounds to practice in.

Levels 61-70: Changing The Game.
    The Outlands pour itemization onto the player population, and by now, you should know what stats belong to which role and which form. Buy 18 slot bags ASAP. Have fun learning how Cyclone, Lifebloom, and Mangle change the entire class upside down – for the better.

Enjoy!

12. Aug says:

elvel (verb) To level an elf.

Great post, thank you. I am currently playing a bear tank in a group with a cat and a seedling (future tree), and it is much fun.