MyDivinity wrote in with a pretty nice email yesterday, and to prove to you that I do actually read your email, when by some fluke my contact form blocker messes up and lets your messages slip through, I thought I’d answer it on da blog.
This email is verified TJ safe by a trained cadre of college campus squirrels renowned for their ability to detect puffed up self written emails. And to extort nuts. If at a college campus, be sure to carry extra nuts, because the nuts they want to grab may be yours.
Hello there BBB~~
I rolled a druid for the very first time, and I have a few questions.
1) Can you do some sort of post where you recommend where to put your talent points as you level up? (Or point me in the direction of where I can obtain it.)
2) Should I be skilling up my weapon skills? Is it even worth it? Since while shape-shifted you are not actually using the said weapon.
3) Why do I see most druids using a 2-handed mace or a staff? Would I be laughed at for using a 1 handed mace? Or a dagger for that matter? I’m assuming that people use 2 handed, because they offer a larger stat bonus.
4) How do you type with boxing gloves on your hands?
Thanks in advance!
Thanks for your email, MyDivinity! Let’s see what we can do about answering yuor questions…
1) Since you didn’t specify whether you intend to elvel as a feral druid (the only sane choice, imo) or as one of those insane explosive BOOMkins, I’ll point you towards both. I wrote a couple of articles about this on WoW Insider a few months back, one dedicated to feral leveling talent builds, and one that was guest-written by Phaelia of Resto4Life and Nasirah of A Tale of Two Druids that looks at leveling the leafy or feathery ways.
By the way, while it is sad that A Tale of Two Druids is no longer active, have no fear, you can continue to enjoy the adventures of Nasirah over at Alts Ahoy! A great writer, as always I recommend you go check it out.
I hope that one of those two articles will help guide you in spending your talent points to achieve your elveling goals. Don’t forget to read the comments either, since there are lots of great suggestions for doing things differently than what I recommended, that might work even better for you.
2) In my opinion, don’t worry about it. Weapon skills, as you point out, do not matter when shifted into forms. I believe that my own weapon skills aren’t maxed out, STILL, since if I get close enough to melee, I’m clawing.
3) Yes, the reason is itemization at upper elvels. There are lots of two handed maces and staves with a bonus to Feral Attack Power when shifted, something that is lacking on other weapon types. For balance and resto, however, there is a far wider range of weapon types you could use.
Since those Feral AP bonus weapons don’t start appearing until the end, though, don’t hesitate to use a good dagger with Str, Agi, Sta and AP and a good off hand if you come across them. Early on, some of the Of The Tiger stuff is pretty nice, too.
4) Umm… I don’t. I can’t wear boxing gloves, because my paws are so big they don’t slip in very well. Also, taping up beforehand is a nightmare, because the adhesive sticks to the fur.
I stick to my system of keeping my claw tips trimmed nicely to make typing on the keys easier. It’s taken a lot of practise, I can’t touch type at all, but it works pretty good.
Thanks a lot for your email, and good luck with your new druid. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.