Tom Lehrer fans will forgive me for using that line as the post title after you’ve seen the full post, I think.

So! Hiya folks, end of a big week, at least around the B^3 house.

We have had quite a few exeptionally nice folks join over the week, and I have to say that, as nervous as I was about the whole thing, so far it’s been great.

As I’ve never been a Guild Leader before, and Cassie has never had an active role as an Officer in a guild, the single biggest worry we faced was; what do you do when someone you know and like from other activities asks to join the guild, and then turns out to not fit in? How do you possibly ever tell someone that is a friend, or at least a friendly acquiantance before gaming with them, that you’d really prefer it if they weren’t in your guild anymore, please?

Thankfully, that hasn’t happened. Several people who do write blogs have come over to make alts, just to spend a little bit of time with us and chat and play around, and everyone is actually as great to chat with as you could hope. It’s quite refreshing.

When we do get an asshat, and the law of averages makes it certain that sooner or later we will, I have absolutely no idea what the hell we’ll do. But as the guy said after jumping off the roof of the Empire State Building, as he passed the hundredth floor on his way down; “So far, so good.”

We do have a few more people than the level 10~ alts of bloggers, though. We’ve been extraordinarily fortunate to have a few people join with their mains, either from our server or as actual server transfers, and again, awesome folks, every one.

As time goes on, I continue to hope we won’t have anyone disappointed they came over. But it’s something I have little power over. All I can do is hope everything turns out well for everyone and be myself.

I will say that we now have enough folks to stealth instances and be able to tank, DPS and heal when we hit the boss. It’s something I’ve never had the right mix of classes amongst my freinds to do before, so I’m interested in seeing how it turns out. Okay, more than interested, I’m pretty excited.

I am at heart not a social butterfly of a player. In game, I get focused on completing a set of objectives, of arranging priorities, setting tasks, visualizing the objectives and then getting it done. As such, I flip back and forth between characters fast to mail stuff around to the crafters who need it, I hit flights and tab out to read up on the next objective, I focus-in on killing the series of mobs I’m farming for quest items or rep or whatever, etc etc etc. I just go silent sometimes because I’m not reading or typing in guild chat, I’m getting things done.

This crew has brought me more into interacting with the actual guild chat, because they are such a fun and lively bunch. Distracting is also a good word. But in a nice way.

I could link to all the people that have joined that have blogs, and give them shout outs, but I’m not too sure yet how that would work out. Some folks might not want to live in a goldfish bowl during their actual game time. I don’t want this to be “the guild that all those bloggers hang out in”, that fans want to join with thier alts to be near their favorite writers, because then the folks already here might get nervous.

TJ has said in the past (and no TJ isn’t in the guild, so all her amours, don’t bother coming over) that she wishes BRK would stop inviting all the fans that whisper wanting to be in their guild full of famous bloggers, because she feels that they are all just sitting around waiting for the bloggers to do neat tricks.

Now, I don’t know what tricks they turn over in TJ and BRK and Doomilias and Squekie Priesties’ guild. I think it’s best I don’t ask.

But if she feels strongly enough about it to wish BRK would stop, then it becomes something for me to worry about too.

I’m good at the pre-emptive worrying. I just want everyone to have fun and feel comfortable and at home in the guild, damn it! Now have fun! That’s an order!

Umm… I won’t, why the heck should you? When I read that kind of thing, maybe I’m wrong, but what I’m hearing is, “I really like playing my character the way I already am, that’s why I’m specced this way. But I know most guilds force their players into cookie cutter raid specs because they don’t care how the players feel, they just want to raid. And I want to fit in and show I’m a team player and willing to help, so I’ll offer to go haelz.”

No. No, you will play your character how you want to play your character. If we need a healer or another class to do a run, either we don’t do the run or I will specifically look for someone that enjoys playing that kind of character, not expect other people to lessen their own fun.

In other news this week, I had an awesome offer from one of the Officers of the Kael’thas guild Redrum, saying that if Cassie or I ever wanted to go with them on the occasional Karazhan run, we would be welcome to come along. As long as we pulled our own weight, of course. :)

I think I can guarantee that Cassie and I will be talking with Popess a lot more, because we do talk about how we miss doing SOMEthing during the week. I do think Deadmines and Shadowfang keep runs for low level alt guildies will be fun, but come on… you know we love a challenge.

So if you’re in Kael’thas and you see a Redrum player go by, give them a /wave. That’s some damn nice folks over there to offer to let us go with.

And now, I will finish this post by doing my part to intriduce you to a genius taht may be so far before your time you have never had the fortune to ever hear of him before. A great man, a brilliant mind, a social and political satirist in song and verse, a soul of real fun.

Tom Lehrer is, in my opinion, one of the greatest minds of all time. Not the smartest, no, the greatest. Sadly, he had already retired from performing in, I believe, 1967, although I swear I saw an interview in print from 1972. I know that he had continued teaching past retiring from live performances.

But his music lives on, as CDs of his perfomrances can still be found. Dr. Demento, a radio show that I used to listen to in the service and have been unable to find ever since leaving, used to showcase his music frequently.

Tom Lehrer had done a song, called “Send the Marines!”, that I really wanted to expose you all to. He is most famous for doing “The Elements”, “Poisoning Pigeons in the Park”, and “The Masochism Tango”, but I really wanted you to listen to “Send the Marines!”, and to see what a beautiful thing history can be. To see, clearly, that what people mocked 50 years ago is still being done today with all due seriousness like we’ve never done it before, is a priceless lesson on politics that I think everyone can learn from.

I went looking for the song on MP3 to share with you…

Imagine my surprised delight, when instead I found an actual, high quality, live performance by Tom Lehrer on Youtube, along with lots and lots of his other performances, from a show I thought lost to history forever.

God bless technology. I really hope you enjoy this, and his other music, as much as I do.

19 Responses to “That was the week that was”
  1. Bellwether says:

O_o

Wow I like that song.

2. Caelean@Akama says:

He was teaching at UC-Santa Cruz around, oh, 1990? I had some friends out there, and went to watch a very-competitive audition being held for one of his classes when I was visiting them.

On the subject of re-spec-ing: I’ve healed, tanked, and dabbled in DPS, on various characters. I’m not sure I have that strong of a preference. My bear is building up a set of Tank Gear first and foremost, but also a DPS set, heal set, PvP set (which overlaps with some of the others), and squirreling away boomkin gear when convenient.

A better way for me to put it would be “If the guild needs a healer so we can actually get our butts in the dungeon, I’ll be happy to do it, even if I don’t get to be a bear. Much better to be doing something than wandering around doing dailies.”

‘course I’ve only seriously healed on my Pally pre-BC, and never more than a quick PUG as a druid, so I’d probably stink, but.. :-)

I’ll see if I can roll up an alt this weekend, or perhaps transfer one of my characters over… That Pally is a possibility. He’s only 66, but that’s fixable. :-)

3. Bellwether says:

Oh, also, you’re win for spelling it haelz.

I just hope you pronounced it correctly ;)

4. Zachariah says:

Hey BBB! I play a Warrior, but I lurk here pretty regularly, us tanks gotta stick together :)

Talking about Dr Demento, his radio show is still on the air, I listen to it when I visit my grandmother in Ft Bragg, CA.

http://www.drdemento.com/radiostations.html lists some of the stations that play him. Hopefully there’s one near you.

Glad to hear your new guild is working out for you, keep up the great blogging – I really enjoy it.

OH, and no Bear on the WoW Insider podcast tomorrow. So if you listen cause I’m lame and forget to mention it half the time… me will not be there.

Have fun!

And actaully I did know about the DD show list, but no there arent any stations near me.

Sad bear.

6. Ratshag says:

Glads to hear yer happy with how things has gone so far, BBBBBBBB. Appreciates yer inviting Palintera in. She and I ain’t figgered out yet any long-term goals fer her yet, but right nows she’s enjoying hanging out as time permits and being sociables and doing a bit of questing. Probably won’t be time for much more fer a while; too much else going on.

7. becca says:

Man, I love Tom Leher.

Did you find the clips on youtube of a lecture/performance he gave somewhere (possibly UCSC) in the 90s?

The first part is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzVSXEu0bqI and the second is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfZWyUXn3So. Horrible cut, unfortunately.

8. becca says:

Whoops – I can actually spell Tom Lehrer, honestly.

9. Doncuailnge says:

Tom Lehrer has been one of my favorite artists since I first heard some taped Dr. Demento shows when I was in college.

10. Matticus says:

What server are you on again and what faction?

11. dASH says:

@Matticus

Kael’Thas – Alliance side.

12. FNORD says:

Regarding the “I am specced such and such, but I’ll go heals if the guild needs it”, some people enjoy more than one spec.

I haven’t had a chance to do much healing as a druid, but I’ve enjoyed the healing I’ve done. But I also enjoy being feral, and soloing while resto specced is painful. Also, because I’ve been feral, my feral gear is quite a bit better than my resto gear, and I don’t have much experience healing.

Where I to say “I’m willing to respec resto” that means that I would enjoy running with the guild as a healer, but I’m going to need time (and help) to gear up and learn the tricks.

13. Lady Jess says:

Ya know, I read your post about what you wanted from a guild, and I’m glad you decided to try creating it yourself. Also happens to be what I liked about my guild. I’ve actually thought about visiting you guys, to escape once in a while…lol you might see me yet:P

14. CapnTuna says:

McClap the huntard and Bronte or Skalliwag will wave as we go along on our path to Outland. We are leveling quite nicely through the 20’s.

15. Thunderpaw says:

Ya know, if only you weren’t on the lousy Alliance side. I’d be tempted to server transfer over just to wipe away our latest round of QQ and assorted drama. :)

16. Jason says:

“I do get amused by how frequently I see the phrase “I am specced such and such, but I’ll go heals if the guild needs it”.

Umm… I won’t, why the heck should you? When I read that kind of thing, maybe I’m wrong, but what I’m hearing is, “I really like playing my character the way I already am, that’s why I’m specced this way. But I know most guilds force their players into cookie cutter raid specs because they don’t care how the players feel, they just want to raid. And I want to fit in and show I’m a team player and willing to help, so I’ll offer to go haelz.”

No. No, you will play your character how you want to play your character. If we need a healer or another class to do a run, either we don’t do the run or I will specifically look for someone that enjoys playing that kind of character, not expect other people to lessen their own fun.”

When I read this, I got a bit of a laugh out of it. So, with that said, some background on my WoW experience. I play Shaman. I have two @ 70, and have eventually come to the conclusion that I’m really only able to play Shaman. I’ve rolled alts of every class, some less successful than others, but none have gotten to 70; in fact, my rogue alt is the highest, at 61. I just can’t play anything other than a Shaman. Now, that said, how do I enjoy playing my shaman? I enjoy it. I can’t say I like Resto, or Elemental, or Enhance best. I like em all. I’ve made the offer plenty of times before, and it’s the truth. If the guild I’m currently running with needs melee DPS over a healer, I spec Enhance. Ranged DPS? Elemental, here I come! But 90% of the time, I spend healing, because I feel I’m best at it, and that knowledge makes me most comfortable in that particular role. No other real reason than that. I”m sure it sounds strange to some folks, but that’s just kinda how I am.

17. Galoheart says:

BBB, nice to hear your guild is working out for you and the Mrs as well as your new growing list of guildies. We all should be get to be happy playing WoW afterall we play it for fun.

Too bad though I only play Horde.

18. Kwane says:

BBB, I know you have been around a while but I must abashedly admit this is the first post I have put eyes to and actually read. Hence forth I intend to lurk and reply.

Good luck with the guild running, trying it myself and I fear with current RL interferences and the like, we may not actually see progression prior to the expansion due mostly to totally starting over on a new server and opposing faction. Only time will tell.

Signed, often a fellow bear tank, Kwane. The Egotistical Priests other half (There are two sides to every schwartz. She got the upside, I got the downside).

19. Minos says:

I miss Dr. Demento. The man is a native Minnesotan, and not one station in the Twin Cities or Duluth carries his show. As far as I know, there are none in the state. I used to listen to my home town station’s web stream, but they can’t stream the good Doctor anymore because of a new contract. I’m optimistic that some local station will pick up the show on one of their digital sub-stations. Of course, then I’d have to shell out for an HD radio.