I don’t have time to comment on this right NOW, but for my feedreader viewers at work trying to sneak content by your work filters… here is Blizzards’ announcement:

Player Achievements Preview
While Wrath of the Lich King will improve many of World of Warcraft’s existing features, it will also introduce plenty of brand-new ones to keep the game fresh and interesting. One of these new features is sure to suit a wide range of play styles: achievements. These self-contained goals will offer new challenges, satisfy goal-oriented players, allow others to see your accomplishments in World of Warcraft — and are just plain fun.

World of Warcraft’s achievements system will launch with more than 500 individual achievements covering every aspect of gameplay, including world exploration, PvE, PvP, professions, and character development; from the purely whimsical to the truly epic, there will be something for everyone. Some achievements come with in-game rewards such as tabards, vanity pets, and titles. All of these rewards are purely cosmetic and just for fun, but you’ll certainly stand out when you proudly display them.

And don’t fret about running out of achievements anytime soon. The list is easily expandable, so you can expect additional achievements with each new World of Warcraft content update.
The Achievements Window
Upon starting your journey in Wrath of the Lich King, you’ll see a new button on your main action bar. Click that button to bring up the achievements window.

The top of the window displays the total number of points you’ve received for completing achievements. Below, each achievement appears with its name, description, point value, the completion date, and a progress bar (if applicable). Some achievements expand to display a list of individual components, highlighted to show which parts you’ve finished. You can also designate which achievements to track as you play, similar to the existing quest tracker. An important design goal is to provide players with everything they need to know to unlock an achievement.
Feats of Strength represent the past glories of Azeroth, and as such, players will find them very difficult — if not impossible — to earn. They’re worth no points, and unlike normal achievements, unearned Feats are not displayed in the achievements interface. Feats include old-world player-vs.-player ranks, obtaining rare mounts, special titles, and more. Feats of Strength will be awarded retroactively (that is, they’ll be immediately granted to your character if you qualify) since many of them will be impossible to earn in Wrath of the Lich King.

It’s great to be able to see your own achievements — but it’s even better to let the world know what you’ve accomplished. By right-clicking other players and selecting the appropriate option, you can compare your achievements to theirs. Every time you earn a new achievement, your accomplishment is announced to your guild and everyone in your immediate vicinity — and the custom achievement animation and sound effect are unmistakable. Also, your achievements will be viewable on the Armory, allowing you to track and show off your accomplishments via the web.

World of Warcraft’s achievements come in several varieties. Some simply require specific actions to unlock, such as getting a haircut or defeating a member of each race in your opposing faction in PvP. Others involve a progress bar and require you to do something several times — such as give out 10 hugs. Some achievements are progressive; for example, once you complete an achievement to collect 10 vanity pets, you might next be asked to collect 25. Finally, meta achievements unlock when you complete other achievements — unlocking all World Exploration achievements (see below) unlocks a World Explorer meta achievement. Some achievements, including those that involve quests, honorable kills, items currently in your possession, skills (including professions), exploration, and reputations, will be applied to your character retroactively.

To help keep track of all the different achievements you can unlock, you’ll find the following categories in the achievements window:

Player-vs.-Player: This includes arena, battlegrounds, and world player-vs.-player objectives. A few examples: Hot Streak: Win 10 ranked arena matches in a row.
Alterac Valley All-Star: Capture graveyards, towers, and kill the enemy leader all in one game.
City Defender: Kill 50 enemy players in your faction’s capital cities.
Dungeons and Raids: Every end boss of every raid and dungeon in the game grants its own achievement. Future achievements in this category may include ones for completing a run without any player deaths, with fewer than the maximum number of players, or within a certain time limit.
Professions: Advancing to each tier of mastery in a profession earns you an achievement, and there are specific achievements for secondary skills (with major professions to follow).
Quests: Quest-based achievements include completing a certain number of quests and completing specific quest lines. This category contains zone-specific subcategories.
Events: Seasonal events such as the Midsummer Festival, the Lunar Festival, and Hallows’ End have specific achievements of their own.
World Exploration: You’ll earn achievements by exploring each zone in the game — and get meta-achievements when you fully explore a continent.
Reputations: This set of achievements includes attaining exalted reputation with each faction in the game.
General: These achievements tend toward the whimsical, including getting a shave and haircut (a new feature of Wrath of the Lich King), obtaining a certain number of tabards and vanity pets, falling from a great height, and more.

18 Responses to “Blizz announces Player Achievements!”
  1. Desdarii says:

That’s why I love this blog. You think of us poor suckers stuck behind an evil anti-wow filter at work :)

2. Andrige says:

kek, sounds like fun actually ^^
    I just hope they’ll give us more actual bagspace, if there’s actually gonna be an achievement such as the vanity pets (I have quite a few now >_<) and whimsical rewards, it’s gonna be a big… big pain in the ass!
    I know the pain already, had to say goodbye to Wildheart and Stormrage due to all the new stuff they’re pumping in :(

3. Messyah says:

This sounds completely ripped off from the “Acheivment” system on the XBOX 360. They should be expecting a nice, juicy lawsuit from Microsoft in the near future. LOL

4. Plainswander says:

This sounds…well, it sounds really silly, and stupidly fun.

Like stealing fire from all the enemy capitals in the fire fest. Silly stuff, with cosmetic-only rewards, that should only be done for fun.

I can’t wait.

5. Felkan says:

This gives casual players something to do beside waiting for the next holiday event. Nice for them I guess. But I’ve never been one to get involved in that stuff.

6. Felkan says:

What I really wish they made was some sort of public 5-man ranking system. A PuG level of sorts so you could identify at a glance who the potential idiots will be in your pug. Not sure how they would measure it (total damage in an instance? Healing? Deaths?, time to completion?, player reviews [could be an issue, I guess]).

And they would expose this ranking in the LFG channel and/or LFG UI.

7. Elton says:

Sound like a lot of fun.

There’s pretty much no doubt it was ripped from the 360 Achievements though.

8. Andrige says:

It’s ripped from 360 and Warhammer Online, which I heard from someone will also have this.

9. Lenaiya says:

Reminds me of LotrO. Their “talents” were based off gaining certain achievements.

10. The Alien says:

MMORPG-wise, CoH was probably the biggest inspiration, I should think.

The badge system is pretty popular.

11. Breen says:

Achievement systems are all over the place in newer games, but it does sound like a laugh.

12. Pete says:

Everything in wow is an achievement reward, in a way. It’s just that these don’t have an explicit quest log entry or reputation bar associated with them. I like the sound of it.

13. Unglar says:

I’m not convinced by this system. The concept sounds interesting but I think my real impression will come when we know more of the details. It has the danger to become a source of e-peen for the immature or another grind. It also has the opportunity for some fun quests or some jokes and humour from unexpectedly pulling out a random pet or title etc. Lets hope Blizzard think carefully about it and we all get the latter kind of achievements.

14. Landorien says:

I sure hope one of these will unlock the ability to make a higher level character. My guild is badly lacking healers. I’d make a shaman to help, but I’m not about to spend three months or more of my limited play-time doing it.

15. rakhman says:

Oh no for someone like me with obsessive tendencies, this can only spell disaster as I’ll be spending a vast chunk of time trying to get every little achievement I can. Especially if there are pets and useless bumf as rewards.

16. Crissa says:

Gee!

This announcement really makes me want to go rub it into people’s faces who called my request for such a feature as ‘a troll’ on WoW-fan forums.

17. Crissa says:

It’s not a new idea, but I certainly encourage it. Admittedly most raiders will have done everything, it’d be nice to record what things you want to do.

18. Crissa says:

Argh, I’m losing half my comment.

For instance, Horizons let you list off every question you’d ever done, and how many times you’d done repeatables. It also had how many of each mod you’d killed, tho I know WoW doesn’t record that.

Now sure what usefulness how many vanity pets you have in your inventory is… I mean, as an achievement.