On the subject of professions, MMO Champion has a few new updates from the Beta.

First, Blacksmiths are going to be able to add sockets onto some existing gear.

Second, Tailors are going to be able to do a self-enchant (okay, spellthread) on their cloaks.

From MMO Champion;

Blacksmithing
Socket Bracer
Permanently add a socket to your bracers. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Socket Gloves
Permanently add a socket to your gloves. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Tailoring
Lightweave Embroidery
Embroiders a subtle pattern of light into your cloak, giving you a chance to cause an additional 800 to 1000 Holy damage when you damage an enemy with a spell.
You can only embroider your own cloak and embroidering your cloak will cause it to become soulbound.

Darkglow Embroidery
Embroiders a magical pattern into your cloak, giving you a chance to restore 300 mana when you cast a spell.

Swordguard Embroidery
Embroiders a magical pattern into your cloak, causing your damaging melee attacks to sometimes ignore 1000 of your target’s armor.

Very interesting.

It seems to me that these Tailoring additions will be very interesting… and does this replace our three piece max level epics? As I said, interesting.

Very interesting indeed.

13 Responses to “More profession stuffs”
  1. KhyBearStare says:

As you said, very interesting.

But I find the Swordguard Embroidery to be pretty much useless, if not all the way into the realm of stupidly pointless.

MAYBE hybrids have taken tailoring to make the primal mooncloth set for healing gear. MAYBE non clothies have taken tailoring to make bags.

Other than that though…why would you introduce a melee self-only enchant to a profession dominated by people that don’t melee?

2. mr tankadin says:

its a shame this is tailoring only… stick that lightweave one on a tankadin, consecrate sends off a proc of it… bam, 1600 – 2000 extra threat. would have been awesome

3. KhyBearStare says:

And DOH for thinking of something just have hitting “Submit Comment”.

I’d love to see the ability to turn one kind of leather into the next higher kind moved to the skinning profession, just like smelting is part of mining.

I understand that by using the ability, you are working the leather, and thus leatherworking seems appropriate. But when you get a bunch of knothide leather scraps and you’re not a LW, outside of asking a LW to turn them into knothide, you can either vendor them, delete them, or put them on the AH and pray that someone buys them. I think curing of hides (if they bring this back in wrath) should also be part of skinning. In the real world, most if not all of the people that skin the animal they just killed, will then do the curing themselves. Seems to be a natural extension to me.

Hey Khy, speaking as a person that had Tailoring on Windshadow the feral Druid simply as a compliment to Enchanting all the way to 375, and then went Primal Mooncloth to make 20 slot bags since I didn’t need the other two specs…

I would have been unhappy if there WERE two caster-focused self-only cloak threads, and they hadn’t bothered to toss my feral butt a bone.

I’ll grant you, the vast majority of Tailors are casters. But Tailoring goes so well with Enchanting, that I have to think that, just like me before I went for Engineering on Windshadow for the Tier4 equivalent helm, there have to be plenty of folks that took Enchanting on a melee class, took Tailoring to make their own stuff to D/E, and now have so many nice recipe drops they don’t want to drop the profession.

Having something… ANYthing to help melee folks with Tailoring is a nice thought.

5. KhyBearStare says:

I totally forgot about the enchanting connection! That does make a lot of sense.

Maybe they could add something in to LW and BS to do the same. Something like the Ony cloak where we could add wyrm scales or leather trim embossed with magical runes to an existing cloak to enchant it. And with BS, they could make a magical cloak chain to do the same.

I love it when Blizzard adds these small little gems to the game. It allows us to play with our toons a little more.

Now, I just wish they’d let us play with our belts! :D

6. Taradin says:

The blacksmithing stuff says: “Permanently add a socket to YOUR bracers/gloves”. So yes, it’s for blacksmiths only. On the other hand, the Titanium Buckle (http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2008/august/titaniumbuckle.jpg) does not have any profession requirements.

7. Kikidas says:

The bigger question for me… will adding sockets overwrite enchants? Probably not…

Will adding spellthread to cloaks overwrite enchants?? That’s the trickier one!

8. Mithral says:

Personally, while I like Gear enhancements/customization (i.e. gems, enchants, spellthread, etc.) too much of it can be a strain on end-game content, as most of the instances will be tuned for fully-enchanted/gemmed/etc players.

9. Kal says:

I had really hoped that engineers would be the ones that could add cool enchants to belts, a la utility belts. Alas. Hopefully they’ll get some love too.

The tailoring thing is nice but I hope that’s not the direction they’re going with it. I don’t want tailoring to be a requirement for cloth-wearing raiders like it was in TBC, but I also don’t want it to go with classes that tend to not wear cloth armor. If they do this I’d rather they do it so it can be put on anyone’s cloak and not make it a BoP.

10. Hopefully this is just the beginning of the stuff they will add. Like the way an Engineer can make a variety of Goggles – to suit almost every class/spec. That done for all the other professions would make a lot of sense.

More cross-population would be wonderful.

11. Badger says:

BBB: Just a tiny observation / theory here:

“Blacksmithing – Socket Bracer – Permanently add a socket to your bracers. Requires a level 60 or higher item.”

“Blacksmithing – Socket Gloves – Permanently add a socket to your gloves. Requires a level 60 or higher item.”

“But the Blacksmithing? It doesn’t say so, but what if those are self-only as well?”

I get the impression these will be self-only, based on the Recipe’s usage of the word “your.” It doesn’t say “Permanently add a socket to TARGET bracers,” but rather, “Permanently add a socket to YOUR bracers.” (Caps Lock FTW ^^)

12. Badger says:

Gah! Dagnabbit, Taradin beat me to it, and I didn’t see his post. My bad.

13. Armond says:

Makes me glad my tankadin is leveling Tailoring/Enchanting. I also know a couple of people who leveled Blacksmithing to around 370 before realizing everything was more costly to make than to buy… They’ll like this…