Eyonix posted in the Official WoW Forums yesterday that they intend to release a lot of new content in a patch prior to the WotLK going live.

We’ve speculated about this before, since before Burning Crusade went live we got to play with new stuffs also.

Here is the quote from Eyonix;

With the release of Wrath of the Lich King approaching, we wanted to provide you with some important information. In preparation for the expansion, we will be issuing a new content patch in the coming weeks. Much like the patch made available shortly before The Burning Crusade’s release, this content patch is designed to bridge current game content with that of the expansion and will contain some exciting changes and additions.

We have outlined some of the larger features scheduled to release with the patch below:

New class spells and talents
Stormwind Harbor
Barbershops in capital cities
Zeppelin towers outside of Orgrimmar and Tirisfal Glades
Two brand-new Arenas featuring challenging new layouts, terrain hazards, and moving obstacles
Guild calendar
Hunter pet skill revamp
New profession: Inscription

As mentioned above, this is not a comprehensive list, just some of the major highlights.

We’ll post the full patch notes as soon as they’re available.

Regarding Inscription, please note that all Burning Crusade players will be able to select Inscription as one of their two professions and level up to a skill level of 375 with it. Upon the release of Wrath of the Lich King, players who purchase and install the expansion will be able to continue leveling in Inscription and the other professions beyond 375.

I think, of course, that the biggest thing here is that he says “In the coming weeks”… which could easily mean October, so don’t go be getting your panties all in a wad just yet. Could be earlier, sure, just don’t go planning on leveling Inscription to 375 next week.

I personally am hoping that there will be some new quests or playable content thrown in, just as a teaser. Not the Northrend stuff, no, not new areas. Just some of the cute fun stuff like the quest they added in Heroic Old Hillsbrad to fight an optional boss to get a new hat, for example…. we have Brewfest coming, and Halloween, so there will be seasonal fun stuff to do soon, but I can hope. I love these special little things they add. I really do.

Still, good news to everyone that it won’t all be one crazy rush to simultaneously try out new Talents for a respec at the same time as you go out to level. We’ll get some time to adjust to our new gameplay balance.

And we can play and level Inscription to 375 if we want to. Very cool. As I remember, you couldn’t even GET Jewelcrafting without buying the BC expansion, so this marks a new direction I appreciate.

Woot!

By the way, I should have known that WoW Insider was all over this, they posted about it late last night. Well, in my defense, at the time this was hitting the forums, all the way through when WoW Insider posted about it, I was in BRD… these attunements are kicking my butt.

I hate Marshall Windsor. That boy needs to wear roller skates. Pick up the pace, damnit!

16 Responses to “New content patch Pre-WotLK is coming”
  1. KhyBearStare says:

Woot!

Now if only I could find a list of mats to farm up in order to power level my inscription…my usual sources don’t have the info yet. :(

Also…I got my special hat on my shaman last night…it’s pretty awesome running around in ghostwolf with the ghost doggie following you :D

2. Looking around Azeroth in the current Beta build there are indications of a World Event which will hopefully take place in 2.5 (WoWInsider is also speculating to such). With any luck it’ll be slightly more interesting that the Dark Portal event of 1.12, and indeed could be a variation on the old Scourge Invasion which took place during the first few weeks of the Naxx content patch back in 1.11.

My only worry is that Talents and new mechanics such as the Downranking change could significantly reduce the opportunities for raiding between 2.5 and 3.0, so the wait till release could feel like a very long one indeed.

3. Rainnajax says:

I am in the beta and from what I can see, herbalism works hand in hand with inscription because the inks to make the inscriptions are made from herbs. With my DK, i picked up herbalism and inscription but herbalism is at level 1 so with a 375 herbalist on the live realms, I was a little frustrated with that and haven’t really had time to do much with it as a person in leadership in my guild which is a casual raiding guild. However, I would probably just start banking a good stock of low and mid level herbs for those early ink recipes. It stands to reason that like most of the professions, the mats in a certain area correspond to a level of the profession.

:-)
    Rainn

4. Felkan says:

I think this “soft” announcement is being made just to “hold back” potential Warhammer players. The timing couldn’t be more perfect to stab a dagger into WAR’s heart (scheduled to be released in ~3 weeks). Release new exciting WoW content just about the time WAR goes RTM. Perfect. It will bring back players that haven’t been playing rather than having them join WAR. Plus it will keep existing WoW players content until LK is finally released.

And it gives Blizzard a forced live beta for the huge number LK class changes before they finally release it.

Great marketing strategy.

5. Toon says:

The releasing strategy is much like a drug-dealer give you some freebie samples.

Here lil’ boy…try some free World of War”crack”

The mass tries out their new and fancy toys. Now the mass contemplates over, damn I wonder what that spell/talent is like at 80. Damn I want to get my inscription beyond 375. Good marketing tactic, less is more.

Yes herbalism is used in Inscription, you wil use the plants to make ink on a scroll. (I wonder if they will let enchants do the same during the crossover?) I’ve been herbing to powerlevel the profession and also profit off the AH…:P

6. sid67 says:

/agreed Falkan

This ‘announcement’ is simply confirmation of what we knew was coming anyway. Does anyone following beta believe that the new talents are anywhere near ready for release to live? This “patch” is 6-8 weeks away and I think a big part of the reason for the announcement is to counter the Warhammer hype.

What I would like to see with any such patch is a series of world events and so forth leading up to the release date. Events in the style of the Sunwell dailies that build a sense of community.

7. Melpo says:

I’m in the beta, and I can say without guilt that if this were to go live “in a couple weeks” I would almost quit playing. I know rogues still have several talents Not Yet Implemented, as well as some serious bugs on the ones that are there. Also, I hear shamans, mages, and to an extent druids are still waiting on some things to be finished.

Tigole posted on the beta forums that a patch could be on the PTR’s for as much as 2 months (as has happened in the past), so “a couple weeks” doesn’t mean much.

I agree with others though that it will probably be done to combat WAR.

8. Melpo says:

Addendum to what I said above, a lot could happen in “a couple weeks” They’re releasing pretty decent size patches every weekend.

9. Morthog says:

Unfortunately – this pre-patch is going to mean that I can no longer tank effectively in Karazhan. Ignoring the underlying mechanic changes Blizzard has chosen to throw away regarding pally tanking, we have the direct loss through new talents of MINUS 20 defense which is being replaced by 5% dodge.

Great – now that crushes have been removed – they’ve give us more…avoidance.

Guess what – replacing my Darkmoon card (STA) trinket with the Adamantine figurine (+32 defense) stinks. Not only do I lose all those HP’s – but 32 defense isn’t enough to get me to 490def. I’ll sit at 487def and watch Prince or whomever crit my tank butt.

Pre-releasing these changes – without the needed gear to replace the basic changes, means I’m probably going go on extended holiday. Even post expansion – I’m indifferent at best regarding how I’m possibly going to continue to be an effective tank without being forced in to the leveling/gear up game again.

Not looking forward to this – one iota.

10. Yggdrasil says:

@ Morthogg- I’m really not trying to flame you, or be rude, I promise. I hope you don’t take this statement that way.

If you are sitting at the bare minimum raid viability in terms of a stat (which is what 490 Defense is for Warriors and Paladins) you are setting yourself up for failure if you aren’t trying go past that, constantly. While 415 Defense is the most Druids should ever be shooting for (currently), Paladins and Warriors gain a great deal of avoidance by stacking additional Defense beyond the point of being “uncrittable” by a Raid boss. Unless you are raiding Kara every single time you play, you really should be out grinding 5 mans and faction rep. Between the items available from both, 490 Defense is fairly easy to get to even without the talent bonus, not to mention . Also, you can always adjust your gems and enchants accordingly, and perhaps lose far less in terms of stats in the process. Otherwise, if you aren’t willing to do those things, you’re right, you are probably not going to be worthwhile as a tank in Karazhan.

Of course, the game for tanks is always going to be striving for better gear. It should be that way for your DPS and healers as well. If they aren’t, then you should be questioning why you are raiding with them. Good players do what they can to maximize their performance, by going through the grinds and tedium, in order to provide the best possible performance for the people they play with. Others wait for upgrades to be handed to them. There is always a way your performance can improve, there is usually an upgrade that is well within your reach, if you just take the time to reach for it.

11. KhyBearStare says:

@Morthogg – If you’re not worried about the additional avoidance from the defense, you can always run with Ironskin Potions for the boss fights in kara…the resil will more than take care of what’s missing to be uncrittable.

And like Yggdrasil said, you can play with your gems and enchants.

Morthog is such an insanely good tank, that this is all kind of funny, in a sad way. He’s just so awesome… so incredibly good at tanking AND at being a great player to play with… but he worries ALL THE TIME.

His guildie Thunkon tells me that Morthog is so self-effacing and nervous about failing a group, even WITH his tanking leet skillz, that it makes you want to slap him and say, “You can solo Black Temple! You can DO eeet! Now get your butt in there and pull that Arcane Anomaly, boyo!”

13. bbr says:

Blizzard is notoriously vague about dates.
    “soon”
    “when it’s done”
    “in the next few weeks”

>_<

The patch looks nice though, hope they’ll finish the rogue changes soon.
    The glyphs will be nice to add… I really should finish leveling my druid to make him a scribe.

14. Morthog says:

I think I should come clean on this one.

I can get to 510 defense post pre-patch (so I can maintain 490+ after new patch talents) with 2 pieces swapped and/or one Gem change. What I resent is that I just spent 75 bleepin badges on a Pally BP (stoic guardian) which has spell dmg, 3 slots etc…. GAH it takes me a long time to get that many badges :(

Now I’m seeing – with the upcoming changes I ‘should’ have spent the moola on the 100 badge Stoicism BP – which has a ton more defense – which will effectively keep me at the HP/AC levels I am at pre-patch.

So …yes…I can get to 510 defense with some swappage…. but w/o the 100 badge BP – it’s ticking me off to lose the other stats. So…I will stop my whining – I’m just praying that I can get a 75 badge refund come patch (yeah right) …if not , it’s another big grind. Incidentally – I knew the Def. change was coming – but I figured it was coming with the advent of new gear/crafts/quests so I figured it was a non-issue on the BP

And gosh no , no flames taken. I’ve been trying to stock up on dodge gear recently, but I never did think to overcap defense so much. I guess I’ve fallen victim to ‘making my HPs look good’ while keeping the other minimums.

15. Vrathmat says:

Yeah the stoic piece is very sweet indeed. Don’t sweat it too much at this point, though. I really don’t think this patch is intended to stand by itself for more than a month or so…just long enough for us to play around with talents and inscription. We probably won’t have a whole lot of time to get used to it before the expansion is out and Karazhan becomes the next UBRS.

16. Kayozz says:

Barber shop eh?

No longer will my priest be bald…. Hope i can get a troll hair cut…

Now when, oh when will Blizzard employ a housing system. My guess…………….. never.

Ultima online FTW