Good morning, sunshine!

You know how, when you went to bed last night, you figured it was going to be a slow news day?

Surprise!

In a move my more cynical and bitter readers will no doubt attribute to a sneaky ploy by Blizzards marketing team to cut Warhammer off at the knees, Blizzard has apparently set a hard release date for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion to be November 13th, 2008.

Hey, I was figuring that was when we were going to see it, I think I even went so far as to say so on a WoW Insider podcast months ago…

I just didn’t expect to see that in the news at WoW Insider first thing this morning.

After all, Blizzard is famous for the “We ship it when it’s done, and we ain’t saying when that will be until we are SURE” philosophy, and I for one love them for that.

But if they are going to buy ad space at WoWhead trumpeting it, I figure they must have some firm plans in place… either that, or their marketing team is still high from snorting lithium after the massive success of the “Recruit a Friend/Multibox a Zhevra” program.

So, eight and a half weeks from now. Two months. PLENTY of time for more adjusting of Talents.

Yes, I counted. Two months. Plenty of time.

6 Responses to “Surprise! Expansion releasing mid-November!”
  1. Pidge says:

No need to be cynical or bitter to imagine that the release of Warhammer this week played into the timing of Blizzard’s decision to advertise a specific release date now instead of at, say, Blizzcon.

(or played into Blizzard’s decision to suddenly reverse their long-standing policy and now allow PVE players to get their PVP jonez by transferring to a PVP server.)

(or played into Blizzard’s decision to greatly expand the volume of beta invites going out in the last few days).

(or played into Blizzard’s decision to roll out the PTR this weekend.)

You just have to appreciate a good marketing war :)

In the end, I think competition is healthy and ends up benefiting the players because it drives improvements and innovation, leads to things being implemented sooner and forces companies to share more information with their customers. I wonder if features like WoTLK’s Achievements would been added without Warhammer, for example. I just hope it doesn’t lead to rushed decisions or unpolished releases (I’m a bit concerned about what I’m hearing about the beta servers, which seem less and less stable under the load of new invites).

I’m very much looking foward to WoTLK. I’m probably the only person left on the planet without a beta invite, but I’ve got 3 characters on PTR and am busy playing with the new talent trees. And, tomorrow, I’m jumping into the pre-order head start for Warhammer. I see nothing but lots of fun ahead — how’s that for cynical and bitter :)

2. ARA says:

I’m overjoyed about the news. I dont have a beta key, mainly because beta is a testing phase…. I’d rather just play a polished version, since time is so short. Timing-wise, I’m rather worried they set a hard deadline – I too appreciated the fact that they release when they’re ready. Seemed to get a better product that way.

Still, whatever, who really cares eh? Its gonna be a lot of fun one way or the other, even if god-forbid, it requires some tweaking right after release. The small, very vocal minority of wow players who complain endlessly about the tiniest issues in beta can make you forget what a quality product wow really is. Personally I cant wait !

3. Awlbiste says:

Blah and Ugh. That is all.

4. Toon says:

How reliable is the Wowhead and Thottbot sources to so boldly as state such a claim? Is it a leak from an employee? Just a few months ago we were all waiting anxiously everyday for the enigmatic images on Blizz’s website to unveil itself. What no leaks from Wowhead or Thottbot then? I have very good friends who work at Castle Blizzard in Irvine…and they dont’ even tell me what’s going on. Historically, Blizzard has been very tight lipped about their projects and there are no reasons to assume that they’re going to diverge from that path.

5. Pike says:

Dang, I went all the way to GameStop after work to reserve the Special Edition but it’s not reservable until tomorrow XD

6. Beaker says:

I’ll be bitter and cynical with ya BBB.

Blizz obviously rushing an unfinished product just to stop warhammer stealing some thunder. Just hope that the quality doesnt slip as a result