Hello! Welcome to a single, short post that I hope might help one or two folks in getting the most use out of their DPS Trinkets.

Now, we all see these great Trinkets.

They have a wonderful Equip function… and then they have an ‘On Use’ function.

Now, for tanking Trinkets, I prefer to keep those on my bar for me to choose precisely the right moment to pop them off. The ‘On Use’ function may not get used at all in day-to-day questing, but I know that I have control over thier cooldown. I use my judgment on when it is apporpriate to key them.

But for DPS… for a DPS Trinket, frankly, I don’t really worry too much about whether the cooldown is ready or not. I prefer to get 100% use out of the damage boost. I want them to trigger every single time the cooldown will let them.

So what I do, no matter what DPS class I’m playing, is choose a frequently cast ability, like Mangle for a Druid, or Steady Shot or Arcane Shot for a Hunter, or Mind Blast for a Shadow Priest, and I tie my Trinket activations into them.

Allow me to demonstrate.

First, you choose your ability, and your Trinkets to equip and have activated. For the purposes of this example, I am using my Hunter. So the ability is Steady Shot, and the Trinkets are Empty Mug of Direbrew and Bladefist’s Breadth.

First, open the Macro window.

macro1.jpg

Click “New”, and then in the new window type in whatever you want to name this macro. In this case, I chose “Trinkets”.

macro2.jpg

Next, click on the icon of the Question Mark. This will allow us to have whichever ability we are using to be the icon graphic that is displayed.

macro3.jpg

Next, we do two things.

First, we enter in the text portion of the macro.

You can simply copy the following text, and paste it into Notepad.

(Notepad or another plain type editor will remove all of the hidden HTML coding entries that are invisible. Likewise, if you use microsoft Word to copy/paste, there will be invisible Word formatting. Just use a plain text editor for copy/pasting macro text. Okay?)

#showtooltip Steady Shot(Rank 2)
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
/use Empty Mug of Direbrew
/use Bladefist’s Breadth
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();
/script UIErrorsFrame:Show();
/cast Steady Shot(Rank 2)

The first line is the piece of code that determines what graphic icon you will be displaying on the macro button. To get the actual name of the ability, in this case Steady Shot, open up your spellbook just like we did, and with your cursor at the appropriate pplace for the first word, Shift-Left Click the icon in the spellbook. Vóila! The name Steady Shot(Rank 2) appears.

For the Trinkets, you can open your character paper doll page, and Shift-Left Click on the Trinket, and the appropriate name will appear.

It is important that on each line, there are no extra spaces anywhere after each line. It will mess up the activations.

macro4.jpg

After you are done, the next and last thing you do is simply drag your new Macro button down to replace your previous Steady Shot, or other ability. This is your new Steady Shot button.

The difference is, it will try to use the first Trinket it comes to that has an available cooldown. It will trigger the Empty Mug of Direbrew first… and then, when the shared trinket cooldown is up, the next time you use the macro it activates Bladesfist’s Breadth.

At no time will it ever interfere with your casting Steady Shot. Or Mangle, as the case may be. And the intervening codes prevent you getting error messages from ‘trinket not ready’.

I find it very nice to know that I am getting the most use out of my DPS Trinkets.

This is one way of helping us slackers use ‘em.

I take no credit for creating this macro.

I originally found it from the Shadow Priest forums, in a thread somewhere long, long ago, for using Trinkets with Mind Blast. And I’ve been using it cross-class ever since.

If you play a Shadow Priest and haven’t visited the unofficial most-excellent forums, please go to the links section at the sidebar of the blog, and go see. They are an amazing community. Truly great website.

I hope this has, in some way, helped a few of you the way it has me!

31 Responses to “Creating a DPS Trinket macro”
  1. Althalas says:

You can also replace the names of your trinkets with

/use 12
    /use 13

This will activate the trinkets in those slots regardless of what they are. That way never need to edit your macro. :-)

2. Kobay says:

Althalas beat me to it… /use 12 and /use 13 are exactly what I use.

If you want to see where your cooldowns are, try this:

Write two macros, /use 12 and /use 13. Use the Question Mark icon for both.

Now place each of them on a hotbar. When your Steady Shot (or my Mangle) macro triggers the trinket, the macro icon will show the cooldown.

On my UI those two buttons are a little bigger and off to the side. I use them as a quick reference to see if Outfitter changed my gear when I shifted to Bear or Cat.

3. SuxToBU says:

@Althalas
    I believe that’s /use 13 and /use 14. I have these as separate macros on my ui “trink1″ and “trink2″ using the “?” macro icon, so no matter which trinkets I have equipped, they show up.
    ie
    #showtooltip
    /use 13

@B3
    If you drop the “(Rank 2)” to just be “()” it will show/use the highest rank.

4. Figworth says:

Slight correction: it’s /use 13 and /use 14 for trinket slots. I think slot 12 is boots. Was about to post the same thing, but saw Althalas’ post. I play a warlock, and have my trinkets tied to a spell rotation macro, and my higher damage spells – not something like Immolate, where I might want to save that cooldown, but definitely linked to spells that would be in a boss rotation (i.e., Shadow Bolt, Haunt). Recommend to any class that you bind the trinkets to strong spells, or ones that would be in your normal rotation, unless it’s one that you want to save for special situations (I like to use either haste or spellpower, so this isn’t a problem).

5. Mannyac says:

Wow very cool…not quite as good as a PbEM turn but you know, I guess it will do. hehe

6. Trollin says:

Hey, just wanted to share something I usually do with my trinket macros. I use /use [combat] 13. That way, if I tap the key for the macro when I’m out of range or accidentally or something, it won’t waste the cooldown. On that note, I usually also tie the macro to a spell I don’t use first. On my shadow priest, it’s bound to MB because I usually open with VT or SWD (if I need to tag something).

7. William says:

Thanks a lot for the macro. I am bad at creating and using macros for all of my many alts so this will help my a lot in that department. I’m enjoying it a lot with a combo of Icy Veins & on use trinkets on my Frost mage and using it with Judgments on my Ret paladin! :)

8. Jacob says:

If you’re interested, I can suggest a way to refine the macro. One of the annoyances of “/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();” is that it will clear out any other errors on your screen, such as errors about being out of range. Rather than clearing the errors frame, wouldn’t it be nice if you could just disable error reporting before trying to use the trinket?

Yes you can. You can use “UnregisterEvent” to tell the errors frame to stop reacting to error notifications, then after you use the trinket you can use “RegisterEvent” to tell it to start reporting errors again. So instead of using “UIErrorsFrame:Hide”, “UIErrorsFrame:Clear”, “UIErrorsFrame:Show”, you can remove all that and make a macro of:

/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent(“UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /use 13
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent(“UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /cast YOUR SPELL HERE

(“13″ is my first-slot trinket. You can replace it with the name of your trinket if you’d prefer to use your trinket by name.)

There is still one minor nuisance – if the trinket is not ready, your WoW game may make a little beep or burp error noise. I didn’t like the noise, so I briefly turn off sound effects the same as I briefly turn off error messages:

/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent(“UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /use 13
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent(“UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /cast YOUR SPELL HERE

This has worked pretty well for me – it makes sure that I use the trinket every chance I get, and it stops the trinket from putting annoying warnings on my screen.

9. Pies says:

If you change the macro to this:

#showtooltip Steady Shot
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Show();
    /cast Steady Shot

…it will always use the trinkets you have currently equipped, and the highest rank of Steady Shot you can cast.

10. Kyle says:

Nice! I NEVER used trinkets while leveling to 70 but I’ve been using em as much as possible leveling as cat from 70-80. Sort of annoying to constantly keep an eye on the CDs (they’re both on my bar, and hotkeyed to Ctrl+Q/Ctrl+E)…I’m going to start using this macro though, should help a bunch!! THANKS BBB! I hope you have lots of posts coming, I find there are a lack of Feral blogs out there :[

I love you guys. I post up something that is already great, and you show me how to make it better. You rock!

12. Felkan says:

For Cat DPS I use…

/use 13
    /use 14
    /cast Tiger’s Fury

… I figure if I need the extra energy (pulled 2+ mobs??), I can use the extra DPS.

13. Jive says:

I’ve used the /use 13/14 macros for forever. They’re so handy cross-class, too!

And while I’m thinking about it, re: your post about professions being pretty up front from the trainer:

You might be interested to know for your spriest that there are special patterns available after completing Northrend Loremaster (DPS cloak) and Northrend Dungeonmaster (Healing cloak). I had no idea why the trainer was offering me the healing one this morning, til I looked it up.

14. Sythe says:

This is a great idea for levelling, and would also work with racials – Blood Fury for Orcs – and class specific spells – Bestial Wrath, Kill Command etc. for hunters.

However when you start going into instances, its worth swapping back so that trinkets, racials etc. arent linked to a spammed skill – instead map them each to a separate button/key and make sure you have some sort of cool-down indicator.

This second type of set-up lets u manage your CDs trash pull to trash pull – I find that 1 trinket/skill/racial per trash fight gives me the best sustained output – as well as ensuring I still have ‘panic buttons’ if a pull doesn’t go quite right.

Finally there’s nothign worse than to hit a boss and eveything be on CD – this can happen especailly if you’re in a good group, the pace is fast and 2 mins is more than enough for the last trash fight before a boss and the boss themselves.

Also depending on my equipment at any given time I may have ‘Boss’ button, along the following lines.

/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
    /use
    /use
    /cast Bestial Wrath
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Rapid Fire
    /cast Blood Fury
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Show();

Its usually right next to Feign Death ;-)

15. Sythe says:

The /use lines in in my above post should be.

/use -=Trinket or item 1=-
    /use -=Trinket or item 2=-

I keep forgetting angled brackets are ‘special’ and a lot of web sites don’t process them corectly – i.e. they think its XML and dont display them or the content between them.

16. Steppes says:

As mentioned above, /use 13 and /use 14 work out even bettar. I tend to keep 2 trinkets for each slot (if they’re on-use trinkets). I also use an addon called TrinketMenu (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/trinket-menu.aspx) to auto-swap trinkets into slots so that I’ve always got a trinket 30s or less from being useable.

I also recommend using

/use [combat] 13
    /use [combat] 14

so that you don’t accidentally pop a trinket while you’re out of range and cost yourself cooldown time.

17. Wiebitte says:

BBB saidDid anyone else level to 70, mostly solo, and rarely if ever remember to trigger a trinket?

What trinkets? :) Actually, I still don’t remember to use them even at 70. I would love to use more things like this, but I only have so many slots to put icons. So if I use your macro like you show (and others such as Jacob improved on), I can just place it in my steady shot icon? And it truely will not interfer with steady shot? (not on this toon, but my lvl 70). Is there an add-on that adds more bars for icons?

18. Jacob says:

Wiebitte:
    Use the macro like he shows. It will not interfere with Steady Shot.

It’s always a good idea to test, of course – if there is a typing error or a copy-and-paste error, it may not work right the 1st time. But in the end, it should work fine.

To your final question, yes there are addons that add more bars for more icons, but I don’t use them myself, and so I don’t want to seem to recommend one or another.

19. Lenaiya says:

Wiebitte,

Try Bongos. It will let you arrange your bars however you see fit, and it gives you lots of slots. I love it, it’ll let you size them, drag them wherever you want, arrange how many you want where, etc. It really shrinks my UI down, so I can actually *see* what’s going on in my screen. It also has some other perks – lets you move and resize your castbar, fps bar, xp bar, and a couple other things I can’t remember right now.

20. Wiebitte says:

Thank you Jacob and Lenaiya. I will grab Bongos tomorrow and play with it. I will also make this macro and try it out. Anything is better than having to remember “where did I put the icon”, lol. Even though I have been playing for gosh, 4 years now, I never used macros for anything. I don’t understand them or how they are made, so I am venturing out in deep water here. : )

And thank you BBB for making this post.

21. Ryu says:

On the subject of trinkets, yet still largely unrelated, if you’re still profession juggling, JC has an amazing tank trinket called Figurine – Monarch Crab. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44063. Maybe that’ll motivate ya to go JC, who knows =p. That 63 stam, add in the Dragon’s eye gems for Stam (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36767) or Agility (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42143) and you got yourself one mightty tasty trinket. =]

~Ryu.

22. inphidel says:

Unless I’m mistaken, Bongos is now Dominos. Bongos is no longer being maintained. Cheers

23. Wiebitte says:

Thanks Inphidel, that explains why I am having such a hard time finding it.

Jacob and Lenaiya Ok, I made the macro. It is nice. However, I never see the second trinket. I wonder if it is because they both have close to the same cool down time limit – 13 has a 120 sec cool down while 14 has a 90 second cool down. I am going to remove 14 from this. Now is it possible to add “misdirection” to this? And if so, would I put it as “/cast misdirection” (as below)? Thank you in advance.

/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent(”UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /use [combat] 13
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent(”UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /cast misdirection
    /cast Steady Shot

24. Tikky says:

I posted this one in the Sidhe Devil’s GP a while back. I called it my Huntard Spam-o-matic 2000.

It fires Steady Shot and uses either or both trinkets depending on their cooldown and guarantees a Kill Command if you happen to crit. With the right speed of ranged weapon it weaves Auto Shot into the mix. I bound this to my ‘1’ key for easy pokeable spammage – eyes closed. It’s so good that my 5-year-old and 3-year-old daughters can poke at the ‘1’ key and kill anything – true huntard style. Very useful macro.

#showtooltip Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
    /cast [exists,target=pettarget] Kill Command
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1

Here’s a variation on the trinket theme. This one is overkill, I know. It uses either or both trinkets (depending on cooldown) and casts Bestial Wrath and Intimidation at the same time. If you’d rather save Intimidation’s 1min cooldown, then delete that line. (I bound this to Shift-middle-click)

#show Bestial Wrath
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /cast Bestial Wrath
    /cast Intimidation
    /petattack

25. Pies says:

@Tikky: in the first macro change:

/cast Steady Shot

to

/cast [nodead] Steady Shot

Otherwise you’re gonna have serious problems with auto-targeting. Without that [nodead], if you spam the macro, after the mob dies, you auto-select and auto-attack next available mob, which could mean a wipe if that mob is a raid boss.

26. Kaldor says:

Can Mangle be substitued for Steady shot?,.. And if so does it have to be specific to Mangle Bear and Mangle Cat if u want to use for both forms?

27. Wiebitte says:

in my above (incase anyone is interested) one can not put /cast misdirect, just doesn’t work.

However, if it is
    /cast [target=pet] Misdirect

this will work until one presses the macro again. At that point (I am guessing here), since misdirection has been triggered, it won’t skip down to Steady Shot until misdirection has become ready again. Hmmm, is there any fix for this to not only use misdirect (put on pet) but also so steady shot can be spammed?

/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent(”UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /use [combat] 13
    /script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent(”UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”);
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /cast [target=pet] misdirection
    /cast Steady Shot

28. Kattrinsaa says:

Thanks BBB I never realized how much extra punch I could get if i included the use trinkets everytime they were available. My boomer’s dps went from around 750 to about 1000.

29. Sweetlew says:

It would be nice to see more helpful Feral Druid Cat macros…Kind of new to using them but any help will be greatly appreciated.

30. zach says:

is there a way that i can use a macro like this one, except use it with an inventory item? i want to make it so that my rogue uses his iron boot flask whenever he uses envenom.

31. Lynnsee says:

Is there a way to make a macro to autocast the trinkets when off cooldown?