I think I died and went to heaven.

So, follow this chain of internet browsing, if you will. And if you have the patience.

I am reading my daily webcomics, and as I check Nodwick, I see he has a link to Stephen King’s Top 10 Movies of 2008.

Now, I’ve read King’s column “Pop of King” on Entertainment Weekly before, he had one column that highlighted his favorite “guy books” that I felt, from the books on his list I’d read, was absolutely spot on and made me hunger to read the others on his list I hadn’t hit yet. Amusingly enough, I find it impossible to find that column by searching the Entertainment Weekly archives now. I can tell you Lee Childs was on the list, and a bunch of others that I do indeed enjoy reading. A lot.

Anyway, so I’m a sucker for “Top 10″ lists, I like movies, and I like getting someone else’s take on stuff, and in the 80′s, if King wrote it, I read it. So let’s go see his list.

Right off the bat, the first movie he mentions combines two things I love into a movie I’d never heard of; Jason Statham in a remake of Death Race 2000, called appropriately enough, Death Race.

Well, hells bells, I got Netflix, so let’s do some reserving action.

In Netflix, I add Death Race to my queue, and it, as usual, pops up a bunch of “If you like that, check these out that are similar”.

One of those recommended is Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

That reminds me, I loved the first Resident Evil, most ESPECIALLY I loved the director and actor commentary track on the first Resident Evil (as I mentioned while chatting with some blog readers in line at the midnight release event for Wrath), I have the first and second Resident Evils on DVD… I really ought to add that to my queue.

Adding Resident Evil throws a new lineup of “If you liked that…” up on the screen.

Okay, Netflix is challenging me to a duel, apparently. It’s daring me to see just how far down the rabbit hole goes.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse gives me a selection that includes Underworld; Evolution. Okay, fine. I’ll pick that. I have the first one, I don’t even know if I have the second, so let’s see where it takes me.

Underworld:Evolution gives me Troy and some crap, and Troy gives me nothing but crap. Okay, I followed the chain as far as my stomach will tolerate, what else does King have?

Well, King also mentions another Statham film, another one I missed, The Bank Job. Bang onto Netflix, add that puppy too.

Fair enough, I look forward to watching a Jason Statham double header. I really should add Transporter 3 to the list, while I’m here.

As I exit out of Netflix and the window closes, I see the recommended movies, just for a second before they’re gone.

A split second.

But I saw a name… a flash, a tease. Was it my imagination? Did I really see that?

I swear I saw… nah, couldn’t POSSIBLY have been.

I load Netflix back up, and do a search, my fingers trembling…

IT IS!?!?!

Holy shit omigawd, when the… reserve. Reserve NAOW!

Wait, screw that, is it on Amazon? WOOT!!!!!

I don’t know what studio execs are responsible, I don’t know what back room deals got brokered, but it’s bloody well OUT on DVD!

What is?

RED SUN!!!!

What Red Sun, you ask?

Heathens! Barbarians!

Red Sun, starring Charles Bronson and Toshirô Mifune, filmed in 1971, a cowboy/samurai epic of awesomeness!

That’s right, a 1971 cowboy/samurai east meets west western action film of ultimate badassness. Starring Charles Bronson. And Toshirô Mifune.

No, don’t try to understand how it happened. Just go freaking watch the movie.

No, I’m serious, I’m not making it up. It’s out, damn it!

/happydance

10 Responses to “WHAT is out on DVD?!?”
  1. Isisxotic says:

Okay, I’ll bite. /adds Red Sun to way too long Netflix queue.

I have to warn you, though – Transporter 3 was simply terrible. Not “hah, at least the action made up for it” terrible. Just plain old terrible.

2. Ron says:

You were thinking of Stephen King: Who Says Real Men Don’t Read?

Ron

Ron, you are absolutely, totally 100% correct. And thank you for finding that damn link.

He talks about Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Raymond Chandler, John D. MacDonald, and Jonathan Kellerman, and I’ve read and enjoyed all of them, most especially Connelly and Child, so I had made a mental note to bookmark that article so I could hunt down the authors he mentioned I hadn’t read yet, Robert Crais and Richard Stark.

Go figure, I couldn’t find the damn article again later. So, thanks!

Oh, and I think it’s a damn shame that he neglected to mention John Sandford’s books starring Lucas Davenport, Lawrence Block’s books about Matt Scudder, or Jack Higgens books starring Liam Devlin and Sean Dillon.

I’ll grant you, there are tons of awsome books out there, but I never see mention of Liam Devlin or Sean Dillon on lists like that, and I don’t understand it. Jack Higgens ROCKS.

4. Graimerin says:

3B I havent thought of that movie or even seen it since the pre cable days of the 70′s. When on a saturday night the local NBC channel had a show called cat’s pajamas which showed a variety of movies. My favorite scene is when they are at the natural hot springs and Bronson playing the westerner wont undress in front of anyone and the samuri quickly gets into the hot spring. I always found that particular difference in the cultures of east and west funny. History nerd i remember reading that the Chinese brought over to work the railroads had to bring there bathing habits with them. Sorry for the rambling moment but yes great movie that I may have to go in search of now.

5. Mannyac says:

No shit?!?! guess what I am looking for on Blockbuster

6. Desden says:

‘Red Sun’ is on the Netflix Watch Instantly feature for those of you that have it.

7. Mannyac says:

Freakin blockbuster don’t have it!! sucks. CourseI do have it on VHS

8. Thomas says:

Well dang how did I miss that on Netflix, added to my empty q, as well as “The Mechanic” by Bronson also, loved that one.

Bank Job is great – Classic stupid brit heist men doing a job way out of their league, and then the trouble they get in. Reminded my also of “Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” that was a riot.

9. Doodle says:

I thought this starred Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson… weird…

10. Furryhippy says:

The Bank Job is seriously dull. I went to see it cos The Stath is in it but nearly walked out of it half way through cos I was so bored. Death Race was pretty awesome, but if you haven’t yet seen ‘Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels’ or ‘Snatch’, you should immediately stop whatever you are doing and go find yourself copies!