UPDATE: Before you read the following, here is an update; it’s confirmed by me that Neck, Ring, Trinket and Weapon armor does NOT get multiplied, but base armor on Back items DOES. This is a very, very good thing.

This means, for me, that when I swap my Enraged Feral Staff for Staff of Trickery, I only lose 700 armor (not counting armor gained from the +11 agility increase)… which still leaves me with over 3500 armor more than when I logged out before the patch. So, score!

Oh, and also… thanks to Jessica Sellers being added to the game, and my stockpiling of Ink of the Sea, I made 13 Darkmoon Cards, got 5 Nobles cards, finished Cassie’s Greatness Deck, and posted my 3 extra cards on the AH for a nice, tidy profit. Damn, I’ve been waiting for this patch.

In the patch notes, you may have seen the Blizzard comment;

Bonus Armor: The mechanics for items with bonus armor on them has changed (any cloth, leather, mail, or plate items with extra armor, or any other items with any armor). Bonus armor beyond the base armor of an item will no longer be multiplied by any talents or by the bonuses of Bear Form, Dire Bear Form, or Frost Presence.

Sounds great, but… can someone provide me with a definition of Bonus Armor?’

Yes… yes I can.

Let me give you, purely as an example of Bonus Armor, the Flowing Cloak of Command.

cloak1cloak21

The item has it’s armor value displayed in GREEN. This indicates the item has Bonus Armor.

If you look at the item in Wowhead, and mouseover the armor value, you will see a wonderful little popup that shows you how much of that armor value is bonus, and therefore not eligible for multipliers.

In the above example, IF Cloaks were still included in armor multipliers for bears, then only (504-364) = 140 armor would be multiplied. The other 364 armor would still count as armor, oh yes it would, it just wouldn’t be multiplied.

This is how all bonus armor from Enchants like Enchant Cloak: Mighty Armor and leatherworking armor kits like the Heavy Armor Kit that give armor have always worked.

What has been done is, technically, simply acknowledge that Bonus Armor built into items should have the same mechanic as enchants and LW armor kits. And then to make it so.

So, now you know what the hell “Bonus Armor” really is, in regards to items that have a green colored armor value. Items with this green colored armor value can include Helms, Shoulders, Chest, Bracers, Gloves, Waist, Leggings and Boots. If the item’s armor value is colored in green, not all of that value will be affected by the multiplier.

Now, the term Bonus Armor has had another connotation as well. And it’s one that has confused a LOT of us.

It is the definition that the above patch note makes so clear; some items with bonus armor shown in green only get the base value multiplied, and other items get NONE of it’s value multiplied.

But which ones are those?

Ghostcrawler has stated in the past that Bonus Armor by this definition means ANY armor value on an item other than the Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Bracers, Gloves, Waist, Leggings and Boots. As seen below; this seems to include all armor on Rings, Necklaces, Weapons and Trinkets.

This is what he said in one of the original posts about the entire bear armor change plans.

Ghostcrawler:

ARMOR
As previously announced, we are changing the way bear armor works so that bonus armor on items does not receive the bear armor multiplier. Specifically this means that weapons, trinkets, rings, necks and cloaks with bonus armor will not be multiplied by the bear bonus. Only cloth and leather will benefit from the Bear and Dire Bear multiplier.

We are compensating Ferals for this armor loss by improving the Survival of the Fittest talent. In addition to its current effects (stats and crit prevention), it will now also increase armor contribution from cloth and leather items by 22/33/66%. That should be very close to your current armor bonus. This makes Survival of the Fittest rather over-budget by talent standards, but we figured it was one talent we can be pretty certain most tank-oriented druids will have (and to be honest nearly all Ferals).

The line that makes me feel that he meant ALL armor on these item slots is considered bonus armor not to be multiplied is the line “Specifically this means that weapons, trinkets, rings, necks and cloaks with bonus armor will not be multiplied by the bear bonus. Only cloth and leather will benefit from the Bear and Dire Bear multiplier.”

See, when you know that Green armor is what the software considers Bonus Armor, saying Bonus Armor here confused the hell out of me. But buffing our multiplier by 22%/33%/66% from cloth and leather items in Survival of the Fittest only makes sense when you assume that you get zero multiplier from ANY armor on items in those slots.

And that is why I have been going under the belief that, as Ghostcrawler said above, items in the Neck, Back, Ring, Trinket or Weapon slots with armor, WOULD count as flat armor just like Enchants, but would NOT be multiplied in any way. 700 armor on the Enraged Feral Staff will be 700 armor. Period.

And so, when I see the patch note saying;

Then I refer to what Ghostcrawler said in the post above, and decide for myself what exactly they mean.

You can bet I’ll be checking it out for reals tonight, and talking about it, too. :)

12 Responses to “What the hell is Bonus Armor anyway?”
  1. Azshrin says:

I just logged in and my Durable Nerubhide Cloak (150 non-green armor) with +16 agi increases my armor in bear form by 1347 so I think the cloak armor does get the multiplier.

2. Azshrin says:

Also thought I should say that in my heroic/emblem gear with some JC uniques, my armor increased almost 7k so I think most non-hardcore bears will be happy with the changes overall.

3. Caelean says:

I believe that the plan had been for the cloaks to have the druid multiplier, but only up to their “base” armor.

i.e. a Druid with an 150 armor cloak will get an 8.58 multiplier on the 150, plus any bonus armor straight up. (i.e. 1287 + bonus armor.)

I’ll let you know when I get home. :-)

4. Mooster says:

Tbh I’m not really worried bout the armor…
    I just can’t wait to get me some sweet polearm! :D
    And guess who’s MT in Naxx tomorrow? :D:D

5. ARA says:

Yep my armor went up too! Very happy over here

6. Goldengreen says:

Being mostly a kitty druid, in kitty druid gear, I went into dire bear form and saw that pre-patch I was 19K armor, and post patch over 30K. This has got to be the best nerf ever.

7. Amandrel says:

Another non-hardcore bear who saw a significant increase in armor: from 26.7k to 31.5k. I’m actually going to switch a few pieces around to get a bit more HP and dodge while still staying around 30k armor.

8. Yggdrasil says:

My Death Knight saw an increase as well, though obviously not nearly so dramatic, but from 23.5ish to 26.5ish k armor. All in all, I was very happy with the changes out of the patch, for all the classes I play.

9. Nirgala-Destro says:

I had been thinking that Cloak armor would be multiplied, based on the simple fact that on the AH, it’s under Armor>Cloth>Back, and therefore counts as cloth armor. But I trusted the Big Bear Butt. Oh well, i still have my Platinum Mesh Cloak, so I’m happy! Thanks for the clarification sir!

Rarely have I been so delighted to be wrong.

Bonus armor, like that gorgeous armor from the Flowing Cloak of Command still doesn’t get multiplied, but just that little bit from the base armor of the cloak, with the new boosts, is HUGE.

very happy, very happy.

But now I REALLY gotta get the Keystone Great Ring and the Essence of Gossamer, because my level 70 legacy items are fail.

11. Javan says:

BBB, I really lucked out last night – we had done a couple easy raids and our off-tank wanted to try to get some drops from heroics – we ran AN for the plate hat (which dropped), but along the way, the Essence dropped. My jaw about hit the floor because I’d pretty much given up on finally seeing it. :) Now that we know the heroic AN fights better, it doesn’t seem quite so bad as the first time we tried. Even if a poison totem would have made it so much easier.

The armor bump in the patch was more than I expected and I’m loving it… because it appears the meta gem for bear tanks multiplies ALL armor by 1.02, not just leather / cloth. At least, when I equipped and unequipped my armor rings, the armor I got was higher than the base value.

And I finally got to equip my Staff of Trickery! Now to get that sucker enchanted.

12. Lari says:

Yeah, i felt that this was a nerf kinda. My defenders code (it took a long time to get) became useless, my Keystone Great-ring become lame… but… now i get to replace the Code w/ a dodge trinket OR! a threat trinket, which helps on Maly…. those….. those OP ppl w/ 50% dmg increase :*(, oh. and also Origin of nightmares is CRAPPY, which it was the best staff in game!! < made me angry
    Well, they nerfed the Mangle also, that makes me q.q. but they fixed kitty dps a lil bit also. which i like..
    but all in all… I hoped they didnt change it, now all the druids that didn’t take time to get all of this gear can be l33t also