I’ve certainly made no secret of the fact that I love webcomics.

I’ve posted my ‘squee’ of delight about getting my Richard figure from Looking for Group, my desk photos showed my little Boo from Megatokyo… I eagerly purchase every book that Order of the Stick, Girl Genius, Schlock Mercenary and Penny Arcade put out.

My preferred ensemble is black t-shirts from these webcomics, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t occasionally think of picking up a pair of mad spark goggles from Girl Genius… but if I did, Cassie wouldn’t let me wear ‘em anyway.

In fact, it’s safe to say that I read webcomics as a preferred replacement for real paper comics. I don’t have to find time to run down to Source Comics and Games in the hopes something new will be in… and I don’t have to invest in a comics by mail service, either. Those suckers are expensive!

They get paid by my love of their work. They do the work I love, they get paid afterwards. I hope like heck they make money at it, because I love ‘em.

Now, Order of the Stick is consistently hilarious, especially for an old AD&D player like me… but it’s great for anyone that loves fantasy gaming, computer or tabletop, I’d think. You didn’t have to play AD&D 2nd edition to ‘get it’. Not at all. The genres and conventions are very recognizable and enjoyable.

But there is another webcomic that is damn near a secret webcomic, hidden and obscure, that is the tabletop wargamers version of Order of the Stick.

The art of this secret webcomic is brilliant, the story is intricate, intelligent, consistent, humorous, sad and wistful, and draws heavily… no, MASSIVELY on internet memes to structure it’s world. But in a cute way.

I’m talking about Erfworld, the webcomic that is ALSO hosted on the Giant in the Playground Games website.

This webcomic is not featured prominantly on the main page of the website, but there is a link to it on the sidebar.

It is a vibrant, rich, detailed world whose personalities and story are really building strong, and I find myself treasuring every page. I can’t wait to see where it continues to go…

If you love fantasy gaming and webcomics, I encourage you to go check out Erfworld.

Don’t let it remain a secret. It really deserves all your love as well!

And don’t despair! They have a link there on the sidebar so you can sign up in your feedreader to get both comics sent directly to you when they are posted! Score one for readers to lazy to regularly visit!

13 Responses to “Webcomics, ah how I do love thee”
  1. Lan'dorien says:

Yes, of course, I needed more webcomics :)

You follow Drow Tales at all?

2. Javan says:

I’ve been reading Erfworld since it started, and it definitely started kind of slow… but I’ve found now that if I go back and read it again from the beginning, it really is quite compelling. It’s not for everyone, but I really dig it, and I’m glad I got into it from the beginning.

I saw a lot of animosity toward it initially on RPG forums, especially the ORLY birds, but I think those little touches add to, rather than detract from, the overall story arc. I mean, the Charlie character and the journey books are just gold. It’s definitely a wargamer’s / net-user’s comic, and since tactical combat is something I dig, I check GITP every day for updates. :)

3. Duck says:

OotS is easily my favorite webcomic for a while now. Erf is good, but the updates (or lack thereof) are a killer. Both have been a lot more frequent lately however and now that Erfworld seems to be building to a climax of sorts it they seem to have hit a bit of a stride

4. Chaninn says:

Have you read Flintlocke yet. Histerical comic that I can read many times and laugh every time. :)
    Check them out…

5. Xconzoa says:

Arrgs, I miss the closing tag :-/
    Here is the link again: Scout Report

I had not seen Drow Tales before, but I have read Flintlocke, Dark LEgacy of course, I’ve shouted on the blog my love for Scout Report…

I wasn’t trying to list the only webcomics I liked, just wanted to highlight the somewhat hidden awesomeness of Erfworld. :)

However, this has given me links to some comics I hadn’t read before, so bonus!

7. Alcodis says:

Here is another great comic, i read OOTS and Erfworld also. So you might like this one

Also D&D type stuff, but in the eyes of the other side

8. Pardue says:

I checked out Girl Genius and immediately thought … someone’s ripping off Phil Foglio. Whoa. Wait.
    It IS Phil Foglio! I was a big fan of Phil and Dixie as well as the Buck Godot graphic novels.

Thanks, Bear, for pointing this one out to an old-timer like me.

9. Mosshoof says:

How about Darths & Droids? Another tabletop RPG comic, set in the Star Wars Universe — what if the Star Wars movies were someone’s campaign? It starts here: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html and they’ve finished Episode I and recently started on Episode II.

I found that one about the time DM of The Rings finished. (Starts here: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612 )

10. Kitts says:

I’ve been loving Erfworld for a long time. :) Glad to see someone else likes it too!

11. Stupid Mage says:

Man, I hate you all. How am I supposed to level with all this good stuff to read?!

Reposte