While we are in the very midst of the Raid for the Cure organizing, I wanted to mention one special way that you can show your compassion for someone that is in the midst of their own battle against cancer.

You might have received an email recently, saying something like the following;

Diana Harrison Biorkman has a 5-yr old son in his last stages of a 2 1/2 year battle with Neuroblastoma cancer. They are celebrating Christmas next weekend and Noah loves Christmas cards.

Please take a minute to send a card to:

Noah Biorkman
1141 Fountain View Circle
South Lyon MI 48178

As I found on the fact checking website Snopes.com, this is very true. Mrs. Biorkman really is asking people to send her son Christmas Cards.

As Snopes reports, Noah Biorkman is a 5-year-old boy who was diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma in February 2007.  Although he went into remission in August 2007, his family says, in September 2008 Noah “relapsed with lesions in his right arm and right leg,” and  “after going through six different trials, the cancer continues to spread.”

Mrs. Biorkman is, indeed, asking for Christmas cards for her son. If you are able to take the time to send a card or letter, please send it to:

Noah Biorkman
1141 Fountain View Circle
South Lyon, Michigan, 48178

Thank you very much to Manny for sending me the link and letting me know about Noah, and thank you to all of my readers who have taken the time to read this.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled blog reading.

7 Responses to “Showing your compassion in a different way”
  1. looneytune says:

It’s in the mail

2. Mannyac says:

Thanks BBB

3. Steven says:

I work at the Museum of Modern Art, myself and a bunch of people here in the store are sending over some cards for Noah & his family!

4. Olivar says:

Gatsby and I are walking to the post box now, BBB. Thanks for this. Put a smile on my face to write him a note.

5. Mannyac says:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send Noah a card.

6. Olivar says:

Hey Manny and BBB: Check this out. You guys outscooped CNN.

Hope Noah has an awesome holiday.

7. Mannyac says:

UPDATE: Please stop sending cards:

A follow-up letter from Noah’s mother, posted on Snopes.com and Daily Kos this week, thanks respondents for the overwhelming flood of cards and gifts, but asked people to refrain from sending more gifts, as the family already celebrated Christmas.

The letter reads:

Wow!! Thanks! Please STOP!!!!

Wow! The outpouring of love and concern for Noah is just amazing! Scott and I never in a million years thought that so many people would want to send Christmas cards to Noah. However, please note: We did already celebrate Christmas LAST Sunday — November 8th.

PLEASE STOP SENDING CARDS AND GIFTS!!!!

Noah is very ill. He is not getting out of bed and it’s time for Scott, our families, and I to concentrate on our son. His time is very short and he needs us.

Scott and I would like to say thank you so much for the support and continued show of love. However, we are asking that everyone please stop sending cards and gifts.

Also, everyone please post the stop order on Facebook and any other websites or organizations that you belong to. We need the peace right now.

Thank you for your understanding in this request.