The purpose of this gear list is to help those folks that have been asking me what to look for as a new 80, from start to being prepared for Icecrown 5 person instances in Patch 3.3.

This list is to serve as a guide for how I rank items you can acquire from professions, world drops, quests, regular instances, heroic instances, emblems of all kinds, Argent Tournament Crusader Seals and PvP.

No raids are included, not even the commonly pugged ones. I rarely if ever am asked to provide a raiding bear’s list of upgrades. What people ask for from me is a helpful starting ground for when they want to get cracking as a new bear, and don’t really know where to look first.

I hope that you do seek out fun in 10 or 25 person raids, and have a great time. If and when you do, remember to maintain a balance between Stamina and Agility/Dodge Rating for both Health and Dodge, and when your raid item inevitably isn’t on this list, check to see where your pieces would fall based on comparison to others on this list.

Whether you prefer more Stamina rather than Agility, or vice versa, more Hit Rating, more Expertise, more Crit Rating, etc is really dependant on your current gear overall. There is no gear list that can replace your judgment. What this list can do is help point out where some great upgrades in general can be found when you’re first starting out.

This first list covers armor. Every item on this list has an Armor Value that is affected by the Bear Form Multiplier. Thus, higher Armor Value matters a great deal for these items.

Helm

Enchant: Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector Rep vendor: Argent Crusade (Revered)
Meta Gem: Austere Earthsiege Diamond

Relentless Gladiator’s Dragonhide Helm - PvP Reward
Hood of Lethal Intent  - 75 Emblem of Triumph (Non-set item)
Malfurion’s Headguard of Conquest  - 50 Emblem of Triumph and no token from Tier 9 vendor
Furious Gladiator’s Dragonhide Helm  - PvP Reward
Conqueror’s Nightsong Headguard - Token for turn in costs 58 Emblems of Conquest
Mask of Distant Memory  - Drops from The Black Knight in Heroic Trial of the Champion
Deadly Gladiator’s Dragonhide Helm - PvP Reward
Weakness Spectralizers - Engineering crafted BoP
Titan-Forged Leather Helm of Triumph - 40 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Hateful Gladiator’s Dragonhide Helm - PvP Reward
Mask of the Watcher - Drops from Eregos in Heroic Oculus
Savage Gladiator’s Dragonhide Helm - 45 Emblem of Heroism
Shroud of Darkness - Drops from Zuramat the Obliterator in Heroic Violet Hold
Helm of Cheated Fate - Drops from Drakkari Elemental in Heroic Gundrak
Hood of the Furtive Assassin - Drops from Loken in Halls of Lightning
Headguard of Retaliation - Reward from Quest, “Vengeance Be Mine!” in Utgarde Pinnacle
Battlemap Hide Helm - Drops from Prince Keleseth in Heroic Utgarde Keep
Eviscerator’s Facemask - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at level 78

Shoulders

Enchant:
Master’s Inscription of the Pinnacle (Inscriptionists only)
Greater Inscription of the Gladiator (10,000 Honor Points)
Greater inscription of the Pinnacle (Sons of Hodir – Exalted)

Relentless Gladiator’s Dragonhide Spaulders - PvP Reward
Duskstalker Shoulderpads - 45 Emblem of Triumph
Malfurion’s Shoulderpads of Conquest - 30 Emblem of Triumph and no token from Tier 9 vendor
Furious Gladiator’s Dragonhide Spaulders - PvP Reward
Valorous Dreamwalker Shoulderpads - Token for turn in costs 60 Emblems of Valor
Deadly Gladiator’s Dragonhide Spaulders - PvP Reward
Trollwoven Spaulders - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Shoulderpads of the Infamous Knave - Drops from The Black Knight in Regular Trial of the Champion
Hateful Gladiator’s Dragonhide Spaulders - PvP Reward
Sprinting Shoulderpads - Drops from Elder Nadox in Heroic Ahn’kahet
Spaulders of the Careless Thief - Drops from Grand Magus Telestra in Heroic Nexus
Savage Gladiator’s Dragonhide Spaulders - Emblem of Heroism
Eviscerator’s Shoulderpads - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at level 78

Cloak

Enchant: Major Agility (+22 Agility)

Platinum Mesh Cloak - 25 Emblem of Valor
Durable Nerubhide Cape - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Shroud of Reverberation - Drops from Volkhan in Heroic Halls of Lightning
Hammerhead Sharkskin Cloak - 25 Emblem of Valor
Ice Striker’s Cloak - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Cloak of the Gushing Wound - Drops from Erekem in Heroic The Violet Hold
Cloak of the Enemy - Drops from Commander (first boss) in Heroic Nexus
Drape of the Undefeated - Drops from The Black Knight in Trial of the Champion (more a DPS cloak)

Chest

Enchant: Super Stats

Knightbane Carapace - Leatherworking crafted BoE from a recipe drop in Trials raid
Relentless Gladiator’s Dragonhide Robes - PvP Reward
Malfurion’s Raiments of Conquest - 50 Emblem of Triumph and no token from Tier 9 vendor
Furious Gladiator’s Dragonhide Robes - PvP Reward
Conqueror’s Nightsong Raiments - Token costs 58 Emblems of Conquest
Titan-Forged Leather Tunic of Triumph - 40 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Polar Vest - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Savage Gladiator’s Dragonhide Robes - 45 Emblem of Heroism
Darkheart Chestguard - Rep vendor: Knights of the Ebon Blade (Exalted)
Crystal-Infused Tunic - Drops from Keristrasza in Heroic Nexus
Exotic Leather Tunic - Reward from Quest, “Junk in My Trunk” in Utgarde Pinnacle
Drake Rider’s Tunic - Drops from Skadi the Ruthless in Regular Utgarde Pinnacle
Eviscerator’s Chestguard - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at level 78

Wrist

Enchant: Major Stamina (40 Stamina)

Bracers of Swift Death - Leatherworking crafted BoE from a recipe drop in ToC Raid
Titan-Forged Armwraps of Triumph - 15 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Armbands of the Wary Lookout - Drops from The Black Knight in Heroic Trial of the Champion
Wristwraps of the Cutthroat - 60 Emblem of Valor
Bindings of the Tunneler - Drops from Skarvald the Constructor in Heroic Utgarde Keep
Hateful Gladiator’s Armwraps of Triumph - PvP Reward
Dragonfriend Bracers - Rep vendor: The Wyrmrest Accord (Exalted)
Advanced Tooled-Leather Bands - Drops from Loken in Heroic Halls of Lightning
Drake-Champion’s Bracers - BoE Trash drop from Oculus, buyable on AH
King’s Square Bracers - BoE Trash drop from Culling of Time – Strat, buyable on AH
Eviscerator’s Bindings - Leatherworking crafted, useable at level 78

Hands

Enchant: Major Agility (+20 Agility)

Malfurion’s Handgrips of Conquest - 30 Emblem of Triumph
Gloves of the Blind Stalker - 28 Emblem of Conquest
Gloves of the Argent Fanatic - Drops from either 2nd boss in Regular Trial of the Champion
Charged-Bolt Grips - Drops from Ionar in Heroic Halls of Lightning
Savage Gladiator’s Dragonhide Gloves - 30 Emblem of Heroism
Handwraps of Preserved History - Quest reward from “A Royal Escort” in Culling of Time: Strat
Bile-Cured Gloves - Drops from Meathook in Heroic Culling of Time: Strat
Gilt-Edged Leather Gauntlets - Drops from King Ymiron in Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle
Sidestepping Handguards - Drops from Mage-Lord Urom in Regular Oculus
Seafoam Gauntlets - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at level 78
Eviscerator’s Gauntlets - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at level 78

Waist

Enchants: Don’t forget your Eternal Belt Buckle

Belt of the Twilight Assassin - 28 Emblem of Conquest
Death-warmed Belt - Leatherworking recipe for BoE drops in Ulduar 25
Sharp-Barbed Leather Belt - Drops from Ingvar the Plunderer in Heroic Utgarde Keep
Titan-Forged Belt of Triumph - 15 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Trollwoven Girdle - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Jorach’s Crocolisk Skin Belt - 40 Emblem of Heroism
Polar Cord - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Treasure Seeker’s Belt - BoE trash drop in Azjol-Nerub, buyable from AH

Leggings

Enchant: Frosthide Leg Armor

Malfurion’s Legguards of Conquest - 50 Emblem of Triumph and no token from Tier 9 vendor
Titan-Forged Leather Legguards of Triumph - 40 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Leggings of Wavering Shadow - 39 Emblem of Conquest
Valorous Dreamwalker Legguards - Token purchased from vendor costs 75 Emblems of Valor
Mind-Expanding Leggings - Rep vendor: Kirin Tor (Revered)
Gored Hide Legguards - Drops from Gal’darah in Heroic Gundrak
Legguards of Swarming Attacks - Drops from Amanitar in Heroic Ahn’kahet
Leggings of Brazen Trespass - Drops in Eadric’s (loot pinata) Cache in Regular Trial of the Champion
Savage Gladiator’s Dragonhide Legguards - 45 Emblem of Heroism
Ravenous Leggings of the Furbolg - Drops from Gortok Palehoof in Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle
Chain Gang Legguards - World Drop BoE, buyable in AH
Constellation Leggings - Drops in Tribunal Chest in Regular Halls of Stone
Eviscerator’s Legguards - Leatherworking crafted BoE useable at level 78

Feet

Enchant: Superior Agility (+16 Agility)

Footpads of Silence - Leatherworking recipe drops from Ulduar, crafted BoE, expensive
Treads of Dismal Fortune - Drops from 1st Champion fight, Heroic ToC
Titan-Forged Boots of Triumph - 15 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
Polar Boots - Leatherworking crafted BoE
Hateful Gladiator’s Boots of Triumph - PvP Reward
Boots of Captain Ellis - 40 Emblem of Valor
Slag Footguards - Drops from Volkhan in Heroic Halls of Lightning
Gorloc Muddy Footwraps - Drops from Eck in Heroic Gundrak
Treads of Nimble Evasion - 10 Champion’s Seal (Argent Tournament)
Boots of the Whirling Mist - Drops from Sjonnir The Ironshaper in Heroic Halls of Stone
Boots of the Neverending Path - Rep vendor: Argent Crusade (Exalted)
Jormscale Footpads - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at 78
Eviscerator’s Treads - Leatherworking crafted BoE, useable at 78

25 Responses to “Patch 3.2 Bear Gear Starter List (Armor)”
  1. Neil says:

Thanks for the list, B^3! Great for a starting-out bear.

WTB better options for that cloak slot! QQ …

2. Chariton says:

Nice to see that most of my stuff is in the top 5 of all your lists. :)
    For all you skinning/leather working druids don’t forget that Heavy Borean Armor Kit is a less costly (interim and temporary) solution if your WoW finances cannot support the constant gemming and enchanting costs of new gear.
    Also Fur Lining – Stamina is one of the best samina enchants around so go skin until that Arctic Fur drops.

What about gemming strategies though? Stamina? Stamina and Agility? Or Agility? I have a mostly Stamina gem collection on my armor but Rawr suggests that I go for agility instead. What should I do?

Dyakor|Earthen Ring|Alliance|EU

3. Rakhman says:

This is pure gold, and up to date, so thanks!

4. Chris says:

I Know this is Just Flavour, But I’d recommend using the Tuskarr’s Vitality Enchant on Feet. The 15 stam is okay, But the speed increase (8% iirc) Is pretty hard to quantify but i’d say it makes a huge difference. The only reason I bring it up is because it isn’t listed. However it’s a great comprehensive guide. May have to dust off my old Druid and get him some decent gear again. Looking at the changes in 3.3 (Chill of the Throne especially) I get the feeling Druids are gonna be great Tanks in Icecrown, I may just have to put my DK to one side.

5. Hallo says:

Rock on BBB! I just started rebuilding my bear set for my resto druid as we tend to be just short on tanks for three tens.

This is fantastic!

6. Naturalregis says:

I agree with this list, mostly. Some of the PvP rewards need to be upgraded to what’s now available. Ie: Furious Gladiator’s Armwraps of Triumph should probably be sitting right below (or above) the Titan-forged. They go for 31,600 honour. Same iLevel, slightly differet stats, most notably switching crit for armour pen.

The PvP hands would probably be the Deadly level now instead of Savage. I think those are also 31,600 honour. Might change as to where they rank on your list.

Basically the PvP set gear currently available (for just the cost of honour points) are Deadly for set pieces (head, hands, belt, legs, shoulders) and Furious for non-set pieces (belt, wrists, boots).

Also, for the feet… Tuskarr’s Vitality (+15 Stam and speed increase) is probably a viable enchant. Almost as valuable as the +Agil – close, but not quite. But it does get you out of the fire a little faster. :)

Just my thoughts on the matter, even if you didn’t ask. :)

@ Chariton.. I swear I covered that already, in one of my prior posts on the sidebar of the website. If I didn’t, then it still comes under the heading of balancing Agility and Stamina, along with to a much lesser extent Hit Rating and Expertise.

For enchants, I just posted what I consider best in slot… and again, expect folks to go with what they feel would strengthen their particular set the most.

Right now, technically my Druid has around 50 – 51% Dodge… but I feel that I’ve over-emphasized Dodge to the detriment of Health. You can control that better through gemming.

@Regis… I list all the PvP stuff because often folks ask me where the piece they picked up way back in yadda fits in now, and if they could use it. If you’ve long held a healing or cat role, and picked up PvP stuff along the way and stashed it in your bank, at least you ought to have soe idea where it fits in.

I keep going around and around with the idea of updating this one with at least the other Tier pieces, since picking up VoA, Sarth and Ony loot from 10 and 25 pugs is pretty common. I dunno, I’m still really, really sick, and that sounded like a ton of work last night. Maybe after I’ve got the accessory post doe.

8. Naturalregis says:

That makes sense about the PvP stuff, although maybe even just saying “the latest version of [pvp item]” to get people thinking that it could still be a great PvE item.

As for gear, I’m only at about a 40% dodge, putting a bunch more value on Stam via gems. When I look at gear, I usually hope fo a bigger Agil upgrade via base stats.

I look forward to your accessories post. That’s probably where I need the most work for my drood. That, and deciding if the T9 shoulders at 30 EoT’s is better than getting the Darkstalker shoulders for 45 EoT’s. Oh, decisions, decisions! :P

9. Pete says:

I second the call for Tuskarr’s vitality. Basically anyone except a pure cat should put that on their boots. Also it’s funnier than hell that you say the Ulduar Craftables are “expensive” but don’t mention that for the ToC ones. You can get the ulduar ones for less than 20% of the TOC ones lol.

Pete, that’s really”funnier than hell”? So, what, now I’m supposed to not mention anything anywhere unless I mention it everwhere?

Why the hell do I bother making these f’ing things, that’s what’s funnier than hell. What a waste of time.

11. Csara says:

This is going to be really handy for evaluating my offset tanking gear going into 3.3 – thanks BBB :)

12. Naturalregis says:

Not a waste bro. Very useful list and very much appreciated!

13. Jagger says:

Indeed, these lists are very nice to have. ^_^

Now if only I could find similar lists for my alts.

14. The Paw says:

Very nice! Thanks much!

15. Kassi says:

It’s definitely not a waste, this is an excellent guide and it will have a ripple effect too. For every happier, better prepared bear that’s out there, the other four people in the run are going to be happier and have a better time too.

On a personal note my tanky bear is level 72 and this is going to be absolutely brilliant when she hits 80, many thanks.

Ignore the people making silly comments and bask in the appreciation of the rest of us happy bears ^_^

Looking forward to the second half of the list too!

16. Digg says:

I dinged 80 yesterday on my bear druid and already have been lucky enough to get some of the bits mentioned on this list. I shall be checking back to it often for ideas. Thanks alot L-)

17. Alex says:

Thanks for the list BBB
    I’m going to use my 2 spec to bear tank and this is what I was looking for.

18. Elegantdeath says:

Always great info to have. Arcanum of Torment seems like a good/easy helm enchant from the Knights of the Ebon Blade in The Shadow Vault. 50ap 20crit. Noticed it is 150g? I recall paying 120g at revered.

19. Ursinus says:

Thanks for the list BBB – very much appreciated! Happy belated Thanksgiving!

20. The Alien says:

Thanks for the guide! It turns out that my druid is indeed all fitted out in items on the list, so I’m ready for whatever comes. I’m a little stamina-heavy, but the main healer for my (very small) guild is completely ridiculous, so she can handle it.

Your posts back in BC were my bible for getting my druid(who is not my main) ready and I was tanking Karazhan by the end, which is as far as my guild got. (Before the pre-Wrath patch, anyway.)

21. Redauroa says:

Thank you bear :) I am very happy with how you set up the list. I was really insure what kinda stats to be looking for. This really helps. I am more interested in the stats because the gear always gets up graded. If I have a base to start from I will know how to upgrade.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

22. Siobhann says:

Thanks so much! This helps fill in the gaps in my bear set.

23. Naturalregis says:

@ Solar – I believe the speed increase is also included in Bear form… but haven’t had an honest foot race to test it out.

24. Chris O says:

Damn, you are totally awesome for making this.

I wish I had read your blogs when I decided to pick up tanking gear on a resto drood alt. I figured I had 35k hp, 40% dodge, and some relentless/furious items from arena points, what could go wrong? Man, I couldn’t even tank heroic ToC. Shit, I can heal that with my eyes closed, but put me in bear and it’s like uhhh….mangle?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do this. I definitely be checking this if I get back around to attempting to tank.

25. Trepedacious says:

BBB You’re one baaaad mama-jamma! Thank you for this list, as well as all the other great info you put out there for us who are fresh 80′s or gearing alt bears!