Thank you once again to everyone that participated with the Raid for the Cure last year!

The support and concern, and the fun we all had together was wonderful.

I wanted to pass on an update from Julie on how she has been doing since treatment of her cancer began, and how she’s been doing in general.

Julie was awesome enough to write a very nice letter about how things have been going, and I now present it here to you!

I told you I would write a bit on how I am doing, so here you go:

I found out I had breast cancer at the end of October, and it promptly threw my entire life into a tailspin.  Plans that had been made had to be changed, and fear of dying sort of took a huge part of my brain and shook it up.

I was pretty forthcoming with sharing the news, I have never been someone who felt it was healthy to keep that sort of thing private, because the best way to get support from your friends is to actually tell them you need them.

After many people found out, I had instant support.  In the guild, of course, there was the organizing of the walk, and some members of the guild still go out of their way to inquire after my health.

My coworkers pulled together and took up a collection to help me financially, raising around $950.00.

My family tried to help however they could.  My 17-year-old son began carrying a pink ribbon in his wallet.  I have never felt more loved and supported as I have since this began.

Physically, there are ups and downs.  I have had 4 out of 6 chemo treatments, and every day is sort of like a gamble, will I feel good, or feel like crap?  There are more bad than good days, but one thing that I have found, thanks to my friends and family, is laughter truly is the best medicine.  I do my best to laugh as much as possible, and it really does make me feel better.

The chemo is effective, it is doing its job, and so follow up surgery should be the end of the road, come March.  I will have to follow up every six months to test if it returns, but I choose to maintain the attitude that this is going to be over soon.  We will face the rest if it ever becomes an issue.

A follow up with how I am doing would not be complete without mentioning my amazing fiance Michael.  We have signed a lease on an apartment together, moved my furniture to Texas, and we are close to making the final move together as soon as the surgery is complete.  This man has been amazing and by my side completely since the first scary moments, and I have no doubts that he will be by my side no matter what.

If I have a wish for other people who are unfortunate enough to develop cancer, it is that they have the same support from wonderful friends, family and their significant other that I have had.  It is not easy, I am not completely finished, but I am doing well, and content. :)

Julie

6 Responses to “Sharing some news about Julie from Raid for the Cure”
  1. Sarabian says:

Well that is awesome news! Glad she’s doing well and hope it keeps going well.

2. Kayeri says:

I was just thinking about her last night and thinking I should drop you a mail asking for an update. Thanks, Bear!

3. Kaethir says:

My father is a cancer survivor.

It’s a trying time even if the prognosis is good for complete recovery, and you always have that nagging worry in the back of your mind about it ever coming back.

My prayers go out to Julie and her family, good luck and God bless!
    .-= Kaethir´s last blog ..The big 5-0. =-.

4. Keristrazja says:

Good to hear she’s doing well!

Regretfully, I wasn’t able to participate at the time due to being freshly unemployed, but I’m very happy to hear she’s coming through it.

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed early last year, and while her prognosis is good, it’s always heartening to hear more of more survivor stories. =)
    .-= Keristrazja´s last blog ..Weekly Haiku =-.

5. Ophelie says:

I’m so glad to hear that Julie is doing well! Even though I don’t know her personally, even since hearing about her, my thoughts have often gone to her and her family and I’ve been wondering how she was doing. I hope that everything keeps up and that she makes a speedy and complete recovery!
    .-= Ophelie´s last blog ..I’m Not Addicted to WoW, I Can Stop Anytime I Want! =-.

6. Will says:

Thank you for providing us with the update, sir. I read the initial posts about Julie when they were first posted, back before I started leaving comments, and I have thought about her every so often since then.

My mother is a five-year survivor as of last November. I did as much as I could to support her during her surgery and chemotherapy treatments as I could. She often told me that my ability to make her laugh during all of that helped more than I could know. I’ll never forget the feeling of not being able to do enough. To watch her go through those treatments, wishing I could take the pain and nausea and discomfort into myself so she wouldn’t have to feel it…

I’m glad that you’re on the road to recovery, Julie. Stay well, and all the best to you and your family. :)