BBB is having a horrendous week at work and hasn’t had time to write anything in between super long hours there and snow-blowing out the driveway every night for the last 3 nights due to the blizzard stuff that we’ve been having (and not the good WoW kind of blizzard stuff) :)  So he called and interrupted my lunch today to beg and plead with me to put some kind of post up.

I don’t have anything really exciting to share right now, so if you’re looking for cutting edge WoW news, you can pretty much stop here.

But in general here’s what I’ve been up to -

For several weeks I was doing the first random heroic on both my mains (rogue and ret/holy pally) every day, but that got old as I encountered all of the horrible behavior that people have been talking about with pugs. After I dropped 3 groups in the same day about 3 weeks ago (after never having left a group early), I decided to take a break from that. I still occasionally do a random here or there, but much less often. I’ve already become “the Patient” on both toons and have found that the experience of pugging with 200 random people has really used up most of my real world patience. :) I’ve been messing around with some low level alts on occasion to just have some questing fun and not think about gear upgrades or serious stuff.

Upgrades and loot and the game are such a tough thing to balance.   I’m a list maker/planner in general, so all my 80s have detailed lists of what gear is the best that they have a hope of getting and where to get it and how many emblems of what kind I need. It’s so easy for me to get sucked into that mentality where it’s super important to always be working toward a goal and convincing myself that it’s ok to spend so much time in the game because I’m having fun and playing with friends or whatever my reason is that day.

However, after the guild went through some tough stuff during the last couple of months, I realized that I didn’t want the game to have such a huge place in my life anymore and that a lot of the reasons I’d been using for playing (friends, etc) weren’t really good ones. Because many of those people that I considered friends, I found out really weren’t and it soured me a bit on the game (and the random pugs with horrible behavior hasn’t helped).  There are many days I haven’t even logged in lately other than maybe a quick mail check or gem transmute for BBB. It’s still an important hobby in our lives, but I’m not letting it be more important anymore than other hobbies or interests that I had been neglecting in the past to put so much of my energy into the game, the guild and all the admin duties that I handle for the guild.

Back when Alex was born, my sister who is a total scrapbooking nut, started a book for Alex. I had done a family website back then where I’d post pictures and short notes about his adventures. I’d order prints of those pictures and give them to her and she’d do a book. Well, sort of….my sister is about the nicest person you’ll ever meet and just doesn’t know how to say “no” to anyone, so she’s always super busy and overcommitted. She did the first 6 months of Alex’s life and then I started getting into scrapbooking (ok, because she was hosting those parties and I’d feel guilty not buying something), so she turned the book over to me since she had so many projects going. I finished up that one and kept going with additional books. I’m now up to when he was 3 and a half (um, yeah, he’s going to be 7 next month, so I’m a bit behind). But I’ve been making that a priority to do at least once a week for an extended period of time because I want to get those important memories down and saved for him. I’ve definitely learned over the past few years that you never know what the future will bring and shouldn’t put off important stuff, so I’m making this project a key focus right now.

We’ve also been trying to get out of the house more with Alex to do fun stuff. There’s a climbing place nearby with all kinds of tubes and slides that he loves to go to.  Last weekend we took him sledding at a public golf course close to our house. That was a ton of fun, but next time, I want a sled too! Having to walk up and down the monstrous hill was a lot of work for an old person. :)

I’ve also been watching tv more again.  In addition to current shows,  I’m watching How I Met Your Mother through Netflix. I’m up to the end of Season 2 now. It’s a show I’ve always heard good things about, but didn’t start watching in the beginning, so I just ignored it.  I’m really enjoying that one now.   I also got the first half of Glee and am trying to catch up on that before it returns in the spring.

On nights I do log in and play, I sign off at 8:15 pretty much no matter what is happening because that’s my storytime with Alex before he goes to bed. He’s been learning to read in school this year (and is doing so great at it), but still enjoys having stories read to him. We’ve just graduated to chapter books in the last couple of weeks. We’re currently reading Magic Tree House books and also Magic School Bus chapter books. It’s a lot of fun for both of us (BBB even sat and listened to the story last night) :)

So that’s basically what I’ve been up to.   One other thing that those with kids in their lives might be interested in -  I’ve been following some of the news about the new Lego MMO that is being created and it sounds pretty cool. They’ve just started beta signups this week. It’s not a guarantee of a key if you sign up, but if you want to try, you can register here.  And it’s a game that is definitely marketed toward and protective of kids as when it asked for username, I tried to use various versions of Cassie and was not allowed to because that contains the word “ass” in it and that’s not permitted.  :-)

And now, I shall stop babbling and get back to work now.

12 Responses to “A Cassie Post”
  1. Maebius says:

Grats on the Family life and joys of IRL. Kudos for keeping it Real, even virtually. (if that makes any sense) :)
    I just had to comment because my 6yr old (7 in sept) jsut got hooked on The Magic Treehouse and it’s going to be a sad day when they run out and we need to find a new series. :)
    .-= Maebius´s last blog ..Always wear your seatbelt =-.

2. Ratshag says:

Great googly moogly. If’n Cassie don’t get past the filter, imagines how quick they’d throw Ratshag out. Is a shame, ’cause I’d totally roll a helicopter pilot. Or a pirate. Or that giant lego loch ness monster they got outsides the Disney World store. Or a ….
    .-= Ratshag´s last blog ..Is Where Vyprania Is A Trendsetter =-.

3. Skarlarth and Company says:

Great to hear Cas,

Being a father of a 7, 6 (on Feb 24), and 2 (on April 8) I whole heartedly concurr with The Magic Tree House books. Dear Son likes them, also good for starting readers is, if you can stomach the low brow humor (and after all that is what 7 year old boys go for) the Captain Underpants series. DS often laughs himself red in the face with those. I usually read to the DS and DD (6) before bed and we have been going through the Harry Potter Series. They love it greatly and we will finish Year 3 tonight but I have already told them that we will NOT be going on to year 4 until they are older.

Because I do the reaing I rarely get on before 9 PM ;) and I too have an Excel spreadsheet with lists of gear for my five 80s and 3 other toons, showing current needs, Emblems on hand, and days until next upgrade and all upgrades. I suffer through the LFD PuGs them with general good humor, She Who Must Be Obeyed, often chuckles as I sing to the screen, “Silly mage, get out of the poo”, “That’s right charge out of range of your healer silly tank”, or, “Mr Rogue, why do you want to tank?”

Being the owner of a great many Lego sets from my youth, I also signed up for the Lego MMO beta, fingers crossed.

Skarlarth and Company
    Medivh

4. honorshammer says:

I don’t know if it’s your kind of show but my wife and I really enjoy Castle on ABC. The writing is every good and the actors do a terrific job.

My daughter just turned 10 and still loves us to read her stories at bed time. We’ve recently got into the Chet Gecko mystery series. When she was your son’s age she really enjoyed The Boxcar Children series.

Sounds like you guys have a great grasp on things, and you are letting WoW be A thing in your life not THE thing.

5. Kayeri says:

Wow, most of my pug experiences are okay… not ideal, of course, but they work just fine… I wish I knew what it was that some people keep drawing the annoying ones…

6. Sarabian says:

Great job on prioritizing. I also recently did the same thing. It’s great. :)

7. Firecroch says:

As someone who has always been interested in the fine arts….Glee is awesome. My wife and I watched the pilot and were hooked from that point on. It is a testament to how good the show was since it was the first show of the year to have the entire seaons episodes confirmed contractually.

8. Minos says:

The recent snowfall seemed too tame to call it a blizzard. Still, the National Weather Service’s terms for it were pretty lame: “Prolonged Snow Event” and “Long Duration Event”.

9. Morphster of Aggramar says:

Hi Cassie! I don’t really have anything substantive to add, just wanted to say howdy. I recently hopped in the “after 9pm boat” like Skarlarth which kinda stinks because we were really starting to make progress in ICC10 with my guild. In the end, however, playing before the kids’ bedtime was simply a battle not worth winning, so I rolled some new alts :)

10. Kattrinsaa says:

down here in Texas we are expecting snow again..
    as bill engvall says, “oh if it snows in Texas shut the state down.”

people here do not know how to drive, Christmas time we had a white covering about maybe an inch. where residents of most northern states would still be out golfing or what not, Texans were huddling indoors with the heat up, wrapped up in every blanket and jacket they could find. there was no food, water, or gas to be found at the stores. mass hysteria… it’s bad enough that if a radio weatherman says the word snow there are at least 10 accidents in fort worth..

I do much of the reading to our little ones, we have a 5,4, and 2 month old. (all girls) and they all enjoy story time. I’ve read the secret garden to them. (that one took a while at a chapter a night..) and i think i’m going to try “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler” next. I got slammed by the difficulty level of the sword in the stone. that’s some hard readin there. well for reading out loud at least..
    .-= Kattrinsaa´s last blog ..UI addons =-.

11. Kattrinsaa says:

correction – a 5 year old, 4 year old, and 2 month old..
    .-= Kattrinsaa´s last blog ..UI addons =-.

12. Rayvynn says:

I always love reading your posts, Cassie! I’m glad I’m not the only one who comes up with spread sheets for their toons on where the gear is and how many badges, and what bosses and…

I am also glad that I’m not the only one that’s had the game been soured for me, by people that I used to consider friends. I love that you’re making time for other things, and I like hearing about them! I’ve always wanted to get into scrapbooking (and have quite a few supplies that haven’t been touched), so I commend you for doing it. And as for the little guy–my second grade students are partial to the Ramona Quimby books and loved The Boxcar Kids series (even though they’re old books).