This came from a discussion with Brokentree last night. So blame him!

Let’s assume for a moment that, for whatever reason you care to name, the developers are set on removing Tree of Life as a distinct, always on form in Cataclysm.

So, your new Restoration Druid default would be to heal in the caster form of your chosen race. Which, in Cataclysm, will include more than just Night Elves and Tauren.

Would Worgen Trees pee on themselves? Just a thought.

Okay, so there you are, healing as a Resto Druid in caster form.

To make the playerbase happy, they add a Glyph of the Tree, which allows you to appear in Tree of Life form all the time, perhaps based on points in the Restoration Talent Tree, if you choose.

So you could heal as a caster, or as a Tree.

But then you’ve got your spell, the spell Ghostcrawler spoke of adding, the spell that is on cooldown, and when activated does nice things for your healing.

What about calling that spell something like “Spirit of the Ancients”, and when you activate it, instead of going into the current Tree of Life form, you temporarily grow into a much larger Ancient form, such as you see patrolling in Darnassus and environs?

That way, both casters and Trees get to have their favorite healing form all the time, but no matter who they are, when they activate the “Spirit of the Ancients”, they both get a shiny new buff.

And the models are already in the system! Bonus!

I, being the Bear that I am, have already done the work of planning the most obvious jokes in advance, macroing in the following statements when activating Spirit of the Ancients;

“Doing all this healing is giving me massive wood!”
“I’m sporting tremendous wood!”
Don’t be afraid, I’m just happy to see you.”

Props go to Stonedrake for commenting in the previous thread about adding an Ancient form… clearly, great minds think alike.

21 Responses to “Tree of Life spell suggestion”
  1. Stonedrake says:

That’s a brilliant idea! ;)

2. Kattrinsaa says:

only thing i can think of to add to this.. is if you turn into a LARGER tree. the critters might treat you as a scratching post.. (ie. higher agro output for the duration)
    .-= Kattrinsaa´s last blog ..Paw N mouth disease =-.

3. Ellianne says:

Brilliant! Just brilliant. I applaud you, sir. Now, if only Blizzard was listening. . . .

4. Kayeri says:

::falling over laughing::

Thanks, Bear, after all the reaction over this change, I SO needed this… :)

5. Dave says:

I fully support this idea, as healers are not easily recognizable enough in the current game.

6. Weetree says:

Can’t wait to sharpen my claws on some big wood

7. Grendle says:

A ‘bigger’ scratching for all those BBB’s out there, the current tree form can be left to kittys :P

8. Malphailuron says:

… wow …

Using that in a battleground would make you the largest aggro magnet ever. But those last three seconds of life would be totally worth it.

9. Fangtastic says:

“Doing all this healing is giving me massive wood!”

Hahahaha!

Gives new meaning to little blue mana potions!

10. jtrack says:

They are trying to make healing a challenge from what it appears to me. Sadly, I think this will be a big mistake. As it stands most people fall into the dps category because they either fail at tanking or think healing isn’t fun. Why isn’t healing fun? I do not think making it harder is making it more fun. The healing class, above all others, has turned into a game of watching the add-on’s rather than feeling present in the activities. DPS will still be crooning their numbers and tanks still preening their health numbers and threat numbers.

For healers it is just that people don’t die, they did their job. Taking away the tree form is just another button to click, true, but I’m not sure that’s the right solution. They should be concentrating more on how to get healers into the world around them and less into watching meters.
    .-= jtrack´s last blog ..You Wanna Join My Guild =-.

11. Adlib says:

Heh, I can see the big tree form being as annoying as flying hunter pets. ;)

12. niceas says:

@jtrack – part of the problem healing right now is that if you have a remotely competent group, healing is either incredibly easy or incredibly hard, depending on the encounter mechanics and the difficulty level of the content.

Take a fight like Festergut as an example – if you have a competent group that surpasses the gear check, the healing on that fight is more or less mindless. If you have people in the run who are on the low-side on health, however, the healing becomes extremely stressful and difficult.

Likewise, if you are in a heroic with an absurdly well geared group, I doze off and spam dps spells – the only time I lose someone is if they stand in the BAD, or due to inattention on my part because I got bored.

Once you hit a certain gear level, running out of mana ceases to be a major concern, so groups charge through instances at insane speeds, never allowing the healer to stop to drink (and it usually isn’t necessary), and healers just spam whatever their best spell happens to be.

13. scaresome says:

I can’t beleaf it, all these puns branching into tree humor. I’m rooted and grounded and ready for more.

14. snuzzle says:

My thought was, assuming they give Restos a permanent tree glyph is that the “cooldown tree” spell is more flashy.

Say, flowers bloom in your tree’s leaves (like the flowers on the old epic hunter staff and bow) and you get a green flashy explody light effect at your feet (kind of like a cross between the Wild Growth graphic and the holy priest “free heal” graphic). Overall, the “cooldown tree” is a lot more flourishy and shiny than the glyph tree.

I don’t want to play an Ancient. :( I’m a tauren, I already have skyscraper mounts and can’t fit through most doors (THANKS UC ELELATOR). Seriously, going from a tauren bear to my alt elf bear is like.. “Omg tiny bear lookit how fast he runs hehehe!”

15. Gothia says:

SILENT VIGIL

Where: Dalaran central fountain
    When: Every Saturday at 12pm (your server)

Goal: Save the Trees

Objective: All horde and alliance 1-80 players meet at the central fountain at noon for a gathering of the Trees. If you have a druid please spec into TOL to show support for this Symbol of Nature. Mages and Warlocks please assist by making portals in the 3 major cities for your faction to Dalaran and summoning players to the central fountain for this weekly event.

Pass the word for this event so it can gain momentum in the coming weeks before the release of Cataclysm.

16. Sahele says:

Talking about crazy ideas. They want resto druids to be able to do dps? How about keeping ToL as it is but add a cooldown available in Tree form that makes us go berserk. When activating it we’ll not only change to look like an ancient but we’ll hit like one too. Wouldn’t that be a little bit more interestning? :D

17. Thomstel says:

I had a similar thought, but instead of having a different form altogether, have a well-designed translucent aura appear above the druid’s head that looks like a tree’s (full-size one, not the Tree player model) canopy. When in normal form, the leaves are green; when in Tree of Life from from the glyph, they leaves would match up with the Tree Form color scheme (autumn colors maybe?).

I guess I was thinking “what sort of healer cooldown effect would I want as a Resto Druid?”. Popping into Tree of Life for 30 seconds seemed a little lackluster, but something akin to Pallies popping wings would be pretty sweet. Still a potential PvP giveaway, but Tree of Life form does that now anyway…
    .-= Thomstel´s last blog ..I am GLAD I’m not Tree today =-.

18. Kattrinsaa says:

here you go. “Wrath of the Ancients” 6 minute cooldown (glyph to reduce cooldown perhaps) Entangling roots capture all nearby (20 yard) non boss enemies and increases your healing power by 50% for 30 seconds, also transforming you into an ancient for those 30 seconds, you can only cast healing spells (and rebirth) during that time. Ancient form grants barkskin buff while active, triple healing agro while active.

This would make it a risky PVE spell as you are likely to get swarmed if used, but, could be a great wipe recovery tool on a boss fight. would be fun in pvp and like said above, would be the biggest darn scratchin post you ever saw.

19. ~grins~ If Tree of Life is a glyph, what would prevent you from using it when you’re not resto? Watch my feral tree tank this encounter! Rawr!
    .-= Feral Instincts´s last blog ..Trying to Figure Out How to Handle Timing =-.

20. Moonstalker says:

Man – I’ll never get out of the poison, fire, voids now with all that massive wood…

21. Nimizar says:

Heh, I read the the Twitter devchat before reading this. I guess Blizzard think the same way you do:

Q. Why are Restoration druids the only spec in the game not receiving a new spell?
    A. Restoration druids are actually getting a fair bit. For one, Tree of Life is getting a whole new model (think Ancients of War) and will also “morph” some of your spells to do crazy things while in the form, such as cause Regrowth to be instant, or Lifebloom to apply two applications at once. Tranquility will be raid-wide. We’re also touching nearly every Restoration druid spell to make sure each has a niche and feels good. In general, playing a Restoration druid should feel a lot different (better!) in Cataclysm than it does today.