This is actually something for my work I’m hoping someone can help me with.

I have this machine that has a computer support system built in Japan. We had the computer for it go down, and they sent us a new computer from Japan.

Problem?

On booting up, the motherboard BIOS and operating system (Windows) both come up in Japanese kangi, and then lock up on a “needs something” screen.

Now, I have an email in requesting support, but it’s typically takes over a week for the translation service the company uses to take my email, translate it, and forward it on in Japanese for attention.

I have a sneaking suspicion all it’s asking for is a file on initial bootup, maybe a language file for converting to English via script, I don’t know.

The only translating I do is on a menu. Or in anime.

If anyone knows specifically what it’s asking for, or recognizes exactly what this is and can direct me to where to get the darn file(s) on my own and continue, I’d really appreciate it.

I’d like to try and get further on this project without waiting over a week for a reply from Japan.

Thanks!

Oh, and in other news, I find it hilarious how cool it felt navigating menus and programs all in Japanese, figuring out on the fly how to take a screenshot, open Paint, paste it in, save it and then navigate to the right file location to grab the file and move it to a USB memory stick to get this picture in the first place.

The most simple operation, but when you’re not sure what the various options really say, it feels cool to get it right.

16 Responses to “Use your powers for good!”
  1. Carrie says:

I can’t read kanji for a hill of beans, but if it’s copy and paste-able, maybe the Google Translator could help? Although if you’re locking up at this screen, that might not be possible. Sorry Bear!

2. Redbowl says:

I’m surprised there aren’t any Japanese(or Japanese speaking) bloggers in the WoWosphere.
    .-= Redbowl´s last blog ..Looking for affordable and RELIABLE hosting =-.

3. Bith says:

I can’t read Japanese very well yet but the gist is it seems to be looking for a disc called “gurabiapu risetto Installation Disc “グラビアプリセット装置ディスク”. (This writing part is all phonetic so there’s no meaning in it, for foreign words.) This could be something like “grab-app resetter”. Grabbiap Resetter?

The second one says that it is configuring said program and asks you to patiently wait a moment (easy enough to guess :P) So it looks like you found the proper CD/file at first, methinks, and perhaps it just didn’t load? It doesn’t seem to be looking for a language file unfortunately!

Hope my 2 years of Japanese (in which we didn’t learn technical Kanji) helps a little bit. I always have a Japanese friend or two that I can bug :P

4. Jack says:

BBB your options depend on the OS. I am assuming that the OS is XP, do you know if it is pro or home?

5. Jack says:

My understanding is that Windows is regionally developed. So you can take a Windows machine in english and change it to a different regional language. Do you have an install disk? Before you try ANYTHING, try and back up the kangi drive. If you do have an install disk, and I am going to bet that it is in english. You might be able to reinstall the OS without loosing the data. I know I have done that were windows system files were corrupted and I just reinstalled the system files, and I was able to keep the documents and the like.

What are your thoughts?

6. Aqulestei says:

*Lurker Status Off* Yay for majoring in Japanese in University.

Top Window:
    Graphics Preset Device

The currently selected functions require a CD-Rom or removable disk that is currently un-usable.

Please insert the “Graphics Preset Device” disk and click [OK]

Disk Source: 1 [Browse]

Bottom Window:
    Graphics Preset Device

Graphics Preset Device is being configured for Windows, please wait.

7. Jack says:

I found an article from Microsoft:

The first link on that page is how to install MUI (multilingual user interface) from a command line (Start>run) or the windows key+R) then type “cmd”.

Download the MUI, and copy/pasta to a flash drive, stick that in to the kangi box and maybe you can get it working? Good luck

8. Jack says:

Also, kinda crazy, but its so crazy it JUST might work, if you can find explorer.exe on the kanji box, back it up and save it. Then, copy/pasta another explorer.exe from a box with the same OS, but in english (32 bit Win xp pro, that kinda detail). Ok going back to work POST RESULTS!

9. Jgor says:

I lived in Japan for two years, and have volunteered my (less than professional) services on Freelang.net for awhile. Let me take a stab at this:

First dialog:
    “Gurabi Aburi Set Machine”
    The functionality you have chosen is on a CD-ROM or other inaccessible removable disc.
    Please insert the “Gurabi Aburi Set Machine” disc and click OK.

Second dialog:
    Windows is installing “Gurabi Aburi Set Machine”. Please wait one moment.

10. Iggledorf says:

Hey Big Bear,

Long time reader first tme poster, I’m a computer tech in calgary and based on the window design, I’m guessing it to be an XPMC build, which is asking for an initial file on boot, you may be able to get away with using an XPMC disc and hopefully the file will translate, if not, I might be more help with a bit more info, such as make and model, built in recovery options may apply. Hope This helps.

Thank you all!

This is one of three computer systems that tie into/support a Toshiba Rotogravure printing press. This particular one is for a system that we call “Tospic”, but which Toshiba frequently refers to as the “Preset” device.

This tells me that, much as we suspected, on bootup it is looking for an application disk for the “Graphics Preset Device” in order to complete installation with our system configuration.

Since I don’t have a disc with this computer, I guess I am on hold waiting for word back from Japan.

Nuts, but thank you all very much for helping me know what the heck we’re actually stuck on!

12. Bith says:

Damn I can’t wait until my translation skills are so much better. Just a little longer ’till I can move to Japan then really start learning.

13. protopethunter says:

kinda reminds me of something that happened to the IT guys at my work. The company i work for has some kind of relationship with toshiba and some execs came out from japan and they wanted the IT guys to go and make sure their computers were up to date. The IT guys ended up walking around the building asking random people if they knew japanese. Why they didnt think to change the language to english on their own i will never know

14. Keeva says:

The button under the OK button says “Cancel”.

You’re welcome!

:P

15. Michelle says:

16. Sukugaru says:

I’ve done Japanese before, as a minor in university (more than ten years ago), in high school (even longer ago), in school in Japan (even longer ago)… and the problem is, without constant practice, you forget a lot of kanji really really fast, though I find I remember the more basic ones.

I could read enough to see that you needed to insert the “Grabiapriset [something something] disk” and that Windows was installing “Grabiapriset”, which isn’t much help… thankfully there are others who are more current with their kanji in this thread!

To all of you in this thread studying Japanese – try not to end up where you forget all the kanji, like me. ;p
    .-= Sukugaru´s last blog ..Steve’s Saturday morning =-.