I honestly can’t believe how quickly time passes.

Ttwo things.

I’m stunned by how fast time moves when you’re busy, and I’m also shocked at how easy it is to slip into a pattern.

Specifically, after I posted the last chapter of Jessie’s story arc in Converging Forces, I knew that the story focus was going to be shifting to Baron Trendel for a while.

I’m learning about story cliffhangers.

Jessie was at a point in her story where it was clearly going to take a lot of writing to establish where she was after her internal meltdown, what some of the potential consequences were, and what was going to begin happening next. With Baron Trendel having sat for so long in the story, it seemed to me that it was a good spot to make a break from one to the other, and gain some emotional seperation. To shift the intensity of the story away from immediate emotional despair or grief and into a more measured, determined searching.

Jessie’s story had been a very intense time of writing for me. I found myself really getting caught up as I wrote it, and while I have no idea what it reads like in someone else’s head, it shook me up a bit. I think that’s great, hopefully some of that actually made it out of my head and onto the page, but it’s impossible to know what someone else will get out of writing like that.

But okay, Jessie had her time in the sun and went out with a bang that Manny should have seen coming, and will have interesting consequences in her immediate future. Now it was time for Baron Trendel to show why he is an important part of the story, and to bring an emotional balance in with a little fun on the side.

I’ve had things bouncing around in my noggin about both story arcs and where they fit together, and I sat down to refresh myself on where exactly we left off before I began the next chapter.

Looking at the time stamp, OMG, it’s been four and a half months since I posted the last chapter of the story.

It feels like three weeks, tops. It’s crazy.

At this rate, the damn story is going to be done when I’m in a nursing home!

It’s shocking. I write on the blog almost daily, so it’s not that I’m not writing. It’s just that I wake up, there’d be something about the game going on I was inspired to write about that’d be a quickie, and then after writing something I’d be done for the day, time to move on.

Oh, but I’ll write a story chapter the next day.

But the next day there is something else small to write about, so how about the day after that. No worries, it’s only been a week. Or two.

Four and a half months.

I don’t know what to tell you, obviously my writing isn’t a full time job, or even a paid gig, it’s for fun. It’s not like I’m blowing deadlines.

This irritates me because I find the story writing to be more personally rewarding, long term.

I enjoy writing on the blog very much, I love our ongoing conversations and the talk about WoW. There’s a reason I keep writing here all the time.

It’s just jarring to look back and see that I’ve spent four and a half months writing regularly, day in and day out, but I’ve advanced the story that I feel is the best part of my writing not a line nor word.

I can look back over the years of the blog, and I can say to myself, “Boy, 1139 posts, over 20,000 comments, ain’t that something. That’s a lot of writing, right there, yesiree Billy Joe Bob, ayuh. Dadgum. We’ve had ourselves a lot of fun along the way.”

I can’t go back over 1140 posts and reread them for fun or idle amusement, though. I can’t point other people to it as something to read for a quick laugh, or to check out a story that might be worth checking out. 1139 posts is a ridiculous number.

I’m sure there are individual posts that would be fun to read again, or that I could point to as being interesting. I had some linked on the sidebar for a while as “classic BBB”, and I still keep the “Storytime” ones linked there so it’s easy for me to find them without digging around.

But the regular posts aren’t, well, a consistent story that holds together as anything other than daily fishwrap.

They’re words written for the moment, about a briefly relevant topic, and then quickly forgotten by all.

The Converging Forces writing, however, is something that I could someday wrap up with a ribbon and give to my son to read, if he was so inclined. Something I could share as a story that should be rewarding to read, in and of itself, for anyone that likes a solid story, and not just for those of us interested in WoW.

As inept as it may be, the work of an amateur writer, the Converging Forces story is something that I’ll keep and take with me and cherish over the years, no matter where my other interests may fall.

In that context, I feel very wistful about the last four and a half months. Each day represents potential writing that I’ll never get back again.

A week or two is fine, but taken all at once like that, wow. Blink and it’s gone.

10 Responses to “Don’t blink or you’ll miss it”
  1. Mama Druid says:

One day, sooner than you can possibly know, your son will be starting middle school, then high school, and then… you’ll have the same reaction. Blink, and they’re gone. How’s that for perspective? :)

Mama Druid, wistful mama of a 17 yr old and 15 yr old.

Mama Druid, that’s a good point, but that’s supposing we’re not aware of how precious our time with our son is right now. We ain’t missing that. We’re not going to have the same reaction then, because we really don’t take him for granted. He’s pretty awesome.

I can absolutely get where you’re coming from, though. Sometimes it seems folks you know just live online, 24/7, and you wonder when they actually take time to, like, notice there is a child in the house.

3. Sadly, I think many folks DO realize they have kids,and we can hear glimpses of those conversations over Vent.

“The Guild” may be funny, but the steroetypes/archetypes they show do, sadly, exist. I know a real life Clara. Thankfully, not in my house.

More towards your post’s point: I have a story that’s ~95% done in my head, was once about 30% done in a script, and is beign re-worked into a novel/story. I busted out about 5,000 words, and haven’t gone back. I REALLY need to, and it’s amazing how quickly the hours, days and weeks slip by with narry a word to show.

4. Mama Druid says:

Oh dear me, I didn’t mean it like that at all! I’m terribly sorry my comment came across to you that way.

I most certainly applaud the priority you place on spending time with the little guy. How important that is to both you and Cassie is definitely conveyed in your posts. And by no means do I get the impression you live online 24/7. Nope, not at all.

My comment was pretty much my initial thought after having read what you wrote. I’m thinking, “Awwww… that’s just like with the kids.” Time flies so fast with them, suddenly you are thinking about college when you were just taking them to their first day of school! You look back and wonder how the heck you got here so fast. 10 years ain’t much.

Well, as I mailed to ya mama, I didn’t take it that way, and if my reply seemed snarky towards you, that’s certainly not my intent. Far from it, in our house one of the most frequent topics of conversation is WoW orphans, believe me. No, you made a damn fine point and we’re with you 100% of the way.

Perhaps if I hadn’t made a career out of all snark, all the time, I’d be better able to not seem snarky. :)

6. Mama Druid says:

Now that’s settled – what are you waiting for? Get some writing done! ;)

7. Kattrinsaa says:

I know what you mean bbb, i wrote a little 3300 word post for the Single Abstract Noun 11th hour event. (they give you a random zone in old world, and a random obstacle, and you write your own little entry. That was probably some of the most rewarding writing i’ve done on my blog to date. I’m actually contemplating writing more stories like that using my characters for inspiration.

and BBB, for fun you should head over to SAN and see if you can land one of the remaining zone/obstacles, i know you would write a doozy.

8. Scott D says:

Four and a half months? I can top that. Back in 2004, I started writing a fanfic set in the Diablo world of Sanctuary as a deliberately fun and pressure-free project to cure my writer’s block. I got immediate praise and encouragement from a community that is much more discerning than the average (they had a reputation as a bunch of elitist meanies, actually), so I continued. Fifteen chapters in, I hit a block. It took me nearly two years to get past it and continue writing. I’ve gone months at a time without typing a single word, which explains why I am still not finished. The morning, I started chapter 24, which will be the last chapter in Book I (!!). So far I’m about 200,000 words in.

One thing that this little project has taught me is that the longer you wait, the harder it is to pick up again. Between WoW, the Starcraft II beta and movies, it’s easy to let several hours of free time disappear. You will probably need breaks occasionally, though, but I would suggest that when you do, you give yourself a date to get back on task. Otherwise, as you say, it gets too easy to slip into a routine that doesn’t include writing. Be careful, though. I don’t know how many times I’ve gone to bed, only to find myself tapping away at the keyboard ten minutes later.

9. Cozy says:

Non-writer, just avid reader here.

From my view, I’ll go on reading whenever you post the next instalment. Sooner is nicer, but you don’t owe me anything, so I’ll take what I can get when I can get it.

But thoroughly enjoying the story and regularly checking that I’d not missed an update. Glad to hear that you do intend to continue :-)

10. NT Blevins says:

Thought you might enjoy this:

Why the Druid is the best class in the game. :p