All I’ve wanted to do since Monday was write more on the next chapter of my story.

That being the case, there hasn’t been any blog writing to speak of… but there hasn’t been but three paragraphs on the story. Work is craaaaaazy.

But there has been WoW news, so let’s just have fun talking about WoW for a second!

Reposted from MMO Champion;

While the Cataclysm updates to many of the professions are still deep in development, we wanted to share some of the work that’s been going on, as well as a high-level look at any lessons learned or changes to their underlying philosophies during the design process. Please be aware that not all professions have the same extent of information available right now, but each is receiving the same love and attention as the next.

Take heed of these teasers as you look forward to your new rank of Illustrious Grand Master!

Please enjoy!

General

•Perks will continue to exist across all professions, and will upgraded appropriately.
Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring

•Many of the green (and possibly some blue) items made during the process of leveling these professions will contain random stats. In most examples, two stats on these items will be set, and two will be random. The idea with these items is to mix up the skill leveling items so you’re not just, for example, creating 10 pairs of boots that are all exactly the same.
•Superior-quality items that require more materials than other recipes in the same skill range provide multiple skill-ups. For example, if a recipe takes three times the reagents, it will give you three skill-ups.
•We didn’t feel like we were getting much flexibility from specializations, so they have been removed for all three of these professions. The intent was to help people diversify their profession to feel different from that of other players, but through other professions we’ve found systems that work better to this end, such as simply making recipes available that you can earn over time.
•To follow up the previous change, all items that required a specialization are now useable by anyone.
•Tailoring the high-end Cataclysm items will center around a single cloth type that can be crafted through five different recipes — each with their own material components and a long cooldown.
•All three professions will create their starter sets of PVP gear, which will be upgraded with new recipes every season. In general, these are meant to keep pace as an entry-level PvP set below whatever the current Hero Point set is.
Alchemy

•New elixirs will be about 75% as strong as flasks. So you can get more total stat points with two elixirs, but flasks will still be the best at giving you a single offensive or defensive stat.
•New unique material used by nearly all high-level recipes will be created by alchemists on a one-day cooldown.
•New Mysterious Potion created with common materials restores health and mana in a massively random range, as well as sometimes granting the benefit of another potion. The health and mana range is from 1-20,000 and is able to crit. The minimum amount restored, however, is scaled upwards by the Alchemy skill, making it a great choice for alchemists to keep for themselves.
•All potions and elixirs now use the same basic vial type. Flasks still use a fancy vial.
•New Alchemist Stone.
Enchanting

•In general, material component costs for most recipes are more moderate in how much they require, while the highest-end recipes will still require large quantities. The goal of this change is to make the leveling recipes more consistent and not create unintended roadblocks in getting to the higher skill levels.
•An enchanter vanity pet is being added.
New Cataclysm weapon enchantment preview:

•Avalanche — Chance to deal Nature damage on melee hit/spell hit.
•Elemental Slayer — As expected, this enchantment helps players deal devastating damage to elemental creatures.
•Hurricane — A stacking haste proc.
•Heartsong — Mana regeneration through increased Spirit when chain-casting spells.
•Many more maximum-level enchantments are still in progress.
Engineering

•Engineering is still being designed, but expect new unpredictable gadgets to use on yourself or enemies. Toys, explosives, and even a new vanity pet or two. Oh, and powerful mechanical bows and crossbows in addition to guns.
•In general, we want Engineering to remain a tradeskill mainly focused on creating fun or useful gadgets for the engineer, but we are exploring options for items that can be sold to other players for profit.
Inscription

•With the large number of class changes coming with Cataclysm, many existing glyphs will see new functionality.
•Minor glyphs are woefully uneven from one class to the next right now, so they’re a focus for us to clean them up and try to ensure that everyone has minor glyphs they’re excited about.
•New Darkmoon Cards will be added, with hopes they’ll all be as awesome as the Greatness card.
•We’ll be adding more major glyphs as well, but in the hopes of making them as balanced as possible, we’ll likely wait until after the expansion ships to add any for the new abilities in Cataclysm.
•New and more desirable off-hand and relic recipes will be added.
Jewelcrafting

•Some gem colors have changed! Hit is now blue. Mastery and Dodge are yellow. Intellect is now red. These simple changes have created a much more diverse matrix of gem cuts.
•New Jewelcrafting dailies will be introduced.
•Many cuts are being added to support the new Mastery stat.
•Some new Cataclysm jewelry recipes have completely random properties, and can sometimes create superior and epic versions.
•Jewelcrafters will have some fun new (and potentially lucrative) vanity items, including fist weapons, rhinestone sunglasses, monocles, and stardust (sprinkle on players for entertainment).
Herbalism, Skinning, and Mining

•All Cataclysm herbs have the chance of containing Volatile Life.
•There won’t be a new Lotus equivalent in Cataclysm. Alchemists will use the more reliably-found Volatile Life to create the new high level flasks.
Herb Example:

•”Heartblossom — Named for its deep red color, this delicate flower grows close to the ground, and always in pairs. If one blossom is taken, the other flower begins to wilt immediately and dies soon after. It is considered very unlucky to disturb a Heartblossom without blessing it first.”
•Savage Leather, the basic Cataclysm leather, can be gathered from most creatures found in the expansion areas and can be converted to Heavy Savage Leather at a 6:1 rate.
•Pristine Hide, the rare Cataclysm hide, can be found when skinning creatures in the expansion areas, or be converted from Heavy Savage Leather.
•Obsidian is the new common mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems, Volatile Fire, and Volatile Shadow.
•Elementium is the new uncommon mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems, Volatile Fire, Volatile Water, or Volatile Earth.
•Pyrite is the new rare mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems and Volatile Fire.
•Previous Elementium Ore and Bar used for classic quests will be renamed to Elementium Ingot and Hardened Elementium Bar.
•We like the gathering perks as they are; not a game-changing bonus but something themed and fun. But as all tradeskills are in the design stages these are still being discussed to a degree.
Cooking

•Cooking is still in the early stages, but we plan on continuing with daily quests, feasts, and some fun new recipes.
•We liked the cooking dailies that had players picking up items that spawned in the world near the quest giver, so most if not all new cooking dailies will work similarly.
First Aid

•Bandages will have a short cast time and put a heal over time effect on the target for 8 seconds. This effect is broken by damage.
•Three new bandages! That’s right: THREE!

Bandage preview:

•”Dense Embersilk Bandage” Heals for 34,800 over 8 seconds. Requires 3 Embersilk to create.
Fishing

•Lots of new fish and other fun items to catch! Fish are still used to make premium food.
•New fishing dailies.

Yeah, I know, everybody already saw all that.

I’d just like to take a moment to say;

Yay to Engineering making bows and crossbows, this makes me very happy.

Yay to Armor crafters getting more than just the one level of starter PvP gear they’ll be able to make. Adding new PvP gear recipes to keep up with one level below PvP progression is really an outstanding idea to keep those professions relevant and desirable.

Yay to Jewelcrafters getting new vanity items… and are they serious about new fist weapons?

Yay to Inscription getting more Darkmoon Cards… and possibly more useful off hand items? I used that Book as a healer off hand for a long time.

But, well, biggest yay goes to MORE non-combat pets!

What do you folks think of the direction for professions? Sounds like the mat usage will be made simpler, and the professions themselves will make things that are both fun, and more useful over the long run. Almost as though they were trying to build on the things that people liked, and correct or eliminate areas people didn’t.

They better be careful, with a design philosophy like that they may be going places.

A single booo goes to no announcement on Enchanting making epic level/max level Wands. Grrr.

10 Responses to “How about that Profession stuff, huh?”
  1. michaelweir@gmail.com says:

I think all this news is awesome. I literally love every profession change in the pipeline. However, “Illustrious Grand Master?” It’s gonna be hard to think of a better superlative for the profession level cap raise in the expansion that will follow cataclysm.

I’m glad they will be tuning professions so you don’t hit walls as often. Don’t get me wrong, I think leveling professions should require a bit of a grind and some work, but some of the walls you hit in some professions (enchanting) are just brutal.

Whatever though. I’m excited.

2. Fangtastic says:

One thing that stuck out was:

”Dense Embersilk Bandage” Heals for 34,800 over 8 seconds. Requires 3 Embersilk to create.”

Consider our current health pools and the fact that the best bandage we have heals for 5800 health. Unless they change the ratios dramatically, this points to HUGE health pools in Cataclysm. Gives an insight into what they mean about healing needing more long term thought than just twitch reflexes.

Very excited about the alchemy and engineering stuff, a new epic trinket, ways to confound and befuddle people in PVP? A potion based prof buff?

Very nice indeed.

3. Fangtastic says:

My grammar sucks, wtb edit button. :)

4. dorgol says:

Random thoughts:

Improved tradeskill leveling: Makes me feel not-so-bad about abandoning my DKs Jewelcrafting. I’ll finish leveling up his Mining and then just sit on the mats until 4.0 / Cataclysm. JC is ridiculously expensive to level at the moment, maybe Cataclysm will make it less-so.

BS, LW, Tailoring: Hopefully Blizzard will make the upgraded PvP patterns available through Honor. Raiders get recipes from raiding, PvP players get recipes from PvP! Logic!? In WoW?!

Alchemy: I really like the idea of making 2xElixirs better than 1xFlask. I haven’t used an Elixir in ages because the Flasks are just more useful, even on “farm content” raids.

Enchanting: Engineering pets are BOE, so I assume the Enchanting pet will be too. I know my Paladin will want one… but I can’t see me dropping Alchemy for it.

Engineering: Hopefully Blizz won’t go so far into the “Engineering is for funsies” that they forget people also want it to be “equally useful”.

Inscription: If I read that correctly, Scribes will be able to create Relics for DKs, Shaman, Paladins, and Druids. With Bows / Crossbows added to Engineering that will make all items in the game craftable. Focused changes to minor glyphs will (hopefully) be awesome.

Jewelcrafting: Sunglasses? Monocles? Previous “vanity use” items didn’t seem too popular to me (specifically the Leather Ball and Comfortable Insoles). Maybe these items will be popular with the Bank Alts of Azeroth?

Cooking: I hope that the “fun new recipes” added to Cooking are actually worthwhile. They tried with WotLK to add some fun items, but none of them are all that popular. Meanwhile, the Savory Deviate Delight is still quite popular with the masses. /crosses fingers.

5. Sarabian says:

This looks exciting. I can’t wait for more goodies. Thanks for the updates, Bear!

6. Kelvinikus says:

Overall I suppose this is a welcome and expected change in many ways. I can’t help but say I am very disappointed that they are doing away with the specializations within the different professions. This makes me sad and a bit peeved to be honest. I really thought that instead they would continue the line of truly specialized items and patterns such as armorsmithing, etc.

I guess, as in about every other aspect of the game, they are balancing what the majority of people will benefit from (i.e. probably a low percentage actually took the time to specialize anymore..and with the current lack of high end patterns I don’t blame them) and a system that is easy to maintain and update I would assume.

Anyway, not to QQ as overall as stated I found these changes welcome but I am more than a bit tweaked that yet another aspect of the game that requires a decided branch in character development (along with the consequences and benefits that go along with that decision) is simply being removed from the game.

Change is needed to evolve with the ever fluid needs/wants/boredom of the player base. To this long time player, another mechanic simplification (imo) that takes out yet another reason I felt connected to the uniqueness of my character is another chink in a long eroding armor. Perhaps it is I that am changing. The needs of the many outweigh … and all that.

Thank you BBB for all your blog btw, we don’t do that enough. I always enjoy your thoughts.

Kel

7. Ely says:

Woohoo!!! I’m gonna have to get me some new pets :)

8. Lytstep says:

Dark moon cards were always a pain to maike. Lots of mats used each card you needed 5 cards to make one card and you got 4 cards for one set over and over again. I think everyone needed the same one for every set in other words the 5th card was very small chance to be made. After makeing over 175 cards I made one deck and it was I think for the warrior which wasnt that great. I ended up having to buy four cards that completed four sets but they were very expensive on the AH. I hope the Cataclysm cards are a little easier to make. The Hearbloom sounds interesting I wonder what the blessing will have to be?

9. HerrDrache says:

As exciting as a lot for of these news are (I have all professions except LW on my “mall of toons”), I’m missing PvE craftables – especially for my main who’s a Blacksmith. My JC and Enchanter are semi-OK (if you can coerce a tip/fee out of people), but my BS has stopped crafting things. A belt buckle and an enchanting rod? That’s as useful as an engineer’s Heartseeker Scope…
    Going into Naxx, the starter set was definitely useful. But with Ulduar/ToC not dropping recipes in 10-man normal modes (or the mats) my BS is just that – a bunch of BS! Only my pride demanded that I craft my own 2 ICC tanking pieces – it would have been cheaper to have it made, and it’s not really in any demand – tradechat is quiet about those items. Tailoring pieces are at least being sought after.
    I hope they fix that – or at least let me repair my own armor that I made in the first place. I mean, really, that Lvl 15 tailor NPC can repair my armor, but I can’t?!?!

10. Qwicksylver says:

I fully agree with Herr, blacksmiths should have been able to repair mail, plate armors, melee weapons and shields. Letherworkers should be able to repair leather and mail and tailors cloth items. Perhaps enchanters can repair wands and jewel crafters rings and neck pieces. That would be fun thing to update. Also Thank God engineers can finally make bows and crossbows. I was so freaking tired of always having to use a gun, mainly because male nelfs look dumb with guns, much like how they look two handed melee weapons.

I always thought a cool new profession could be:

Wood Working

Harvest trees scattered out across the land.

Make you able to create.

Arrows and bows.
    Staves and wands.
    Idols and totems.
    Spears and thrown weapons.

Non Conventional ideas.
    Boats????? For maybe fast water travel and group water travel.
    Pop Tents???? Allow you to log off and gain rest even if not in an inn?????
    Wagons attachable to mounts for even larger group travel.

Ps off subject. What about allowing Druids to use shields????