Last night, as I walked through the living room, my son was sitting at his playtable building with Legos.

He looked up at me, all bubbly with enthusiasm, and said, “Daddy, look! I made a catlaunch!”

I stopped dead in my tracks, looked, and saw that he’d made what could best be described as a long board, balanced on a pivot point, with a weight at one end and a little platform on the other.

You ever have one of those moments where someone says something to you, and you can just SEE the train of thought that led them there?

I replied, “Sweetie, it’s a cataPULT, not a catlaunch. And the name doesn’t mean it’s for ‘pulting cats, or launching cats, or flinging cats. It’s just what they’re called.”

“Oh.”

Clearly, he’d heard me call it by name, and made an obvious mental connection that made a kind of sense.

I felt pretty bad about correcting him… I’d have dearly loved to let that one go until it came up in school.

But this does beg the question…

Why DOESN’T the Horde have Gnomeapults?

23 Responses to “Follow the thought process here”
  1. Ryver says:

Years ago, in my freshmen physics class, one of our profs actually made various catapults which launched a stuff cat around the room.

2. Naturalregis says:

In response to your question:

Because gnomes are pretty much useless for anything.

KA-POW!

But in all seriousness, they don’t have enough mass to do any appreciable damage.

3. Minos says:

Where would the Horde get a reliable supply of gnomes to use as ammo? On the other hand, the tooltip for Throw Passenger on the Ulduar Demolishers says “We used to use Goblins for these sorts of things.”

4. Callyx says:

If the horde had gnomeapults.. I would switch factions to be there.

5. branson says:

A couple of posts prior you were saying that you didn’t know what to post about. Some of these “off topic” posts are my favorite. I have young kids and this one made me laugh. Also, remember the post about the “mudflap girl”? That one still makes me laugh and I tell the story to everyone. I say write when and whatever you feel like…you never know what other people will like but you always know what you like…just my 2c…thanks for blogging!

6. Ishkwa says:

We do…. the Tauren Rogues have them at their hideout mwhaha……

7. Agora says:

I am surprised you did not seize the occasion to launch a few things and for him to experience how the position of the pivot point affects the trajectory.

A LEGO minifig would work well as a stand-in for gnomes imo.

8. Tesh says:

Kids are awesome. My wife and I have journals for our kids where we write down this sort of thing. It’s heartening to see their minds crank over and function… even if it’s not quite what we’d expect. Children are so literal… something that we lose as we grow up sometimes, unfortunately.

9. Askevar says:

Sounds like my son

10. Kav says:

I lol’d. It sounds like my 4 year old. Kinda makes you proud that they can make something like that at least semi understanding how it works. In your case, BBB, he understands that it launches.

11. I’d be stoked to read the story about what your son and his innocent friends did with the school mascot if you hadn’t corrected him, and the rename he gave is excellent. Made me smile.

12. KiwiRed says:

@Naturalregis: only the ones not wearing plate.

13. Solitha says:

If I ever had kids, I’d be much better educated. I can’t let a situation like that go by with an answer like “that’s just what they’re called.” I get insanely curious about WHY they’re called that.

FYI, you made me go find out why catapults are called that. <3 Wikipedia.

14. K says:

Catlaunch?

..so you too think it’s fictitious?

/me dreams of Levelling to 85.

15. Tankorn says:

The Horde doesn’t have gnomeapults, however, during the last twitter chat with the devs, there was a question about new classes of weapons available in Cataclysm. Response:

We don’t plan any. Taurens might be able to dual wield gnomes on a stick.

Good enough for me.

16. Practice says:

I hate myself for saying this, but the plural of Lego is Lego, not Legos. I’m sorry, it’s one of my pet peeves. I’ll move along now. :)

17. Grrrlf says:

I was on vacation recently with my relatives and we went on a trip to see a castle being constructed using 13th century methods in the Ozark mountains. While in the gift shop waiting for the tour to start, my 5-year old nephew asked if he could get the toy trebuchet that they were selling in the gift shop. Yes, he actually knew the word “trebuchet”. You have to love gamer children. :)

18. Jong says:

That’s awesome. I miss the time when I was young and perfectly happy with nothing but my Lego block set.

19. When I was young I broke a toy of mine, and asked my parents where the goosetape was. They just stared for a minute until they burst out laughing. I was looking for duct(duck) tape. :D Still makes me smile today.

20. Elegantdeath says:

Much better than the doglaunch

21. kattrinsaa says:

I can’t wait to have a punkin chunkin competition in my physics class. catapults and trebuchets only. no air guns.

22. kattrinsaa says:

@regis a gnome warrior in full plate with weapons sticking out would do a reasonable bit of damage when pulted.

23. Darth Solo says:

I just wish the Alliance had a Gnomeapult. I can’t stand the little buggers.