One of the big changes for Paladins, of course, was getting a new little user interface for their ability, Holy Power.

Much like the Death Knights’ Runic Power UI, and the Rogues’ and Kitty Druids’ Combo Points UI, the default Holy Power UI makes you look up at the upper left corner of your screen to see whether you’ve got all three or not.

Now sure, you might have some big custom package UI that already handles this issue, or maybe you use a form of Power Auras or Scrolling Combat Text to tell you when you’re full.

Me, I like going minimalist… but I also hate having to look away from the center part of the screen, where most of the action is. I don’t want to be glancing anywhere but at the targets, and what they might be doing.

So, I went browsing in Curse’s addon section, because I’ve come to learn that if something annoys me, somebody else somewhere has already invented a cure for it.

Oh, and if you’re thinking, “Oh yeah? Well what about traffic congestion, smart-butt?” I have an answer for you; Mr. Horace Smith and his esteemed colleague Mr. Daniel B. Wesson invented my favorite solution to that issue over a hundred years ago, but they went and made using it illegal. Damnit.

Back to the Paladin Holy Power UI, sure enough, a quick perusal of the database, using the incredibly imaginative search terms “Holy Power” came up with an addon called KAHolyPower by Khaalk.

Reading the description, it told me that here was exactly what I had been hoping to find; an addon that let me undock the default Holy Power UI and move it wherever the hell I wanted on the screen, and then lock it back in place much as I already do with one of my other favoritist addons of all time, QBar.

Even better, if you don’t want the special Holy Power UI graphics, if you’d just like to know how many charges you’ve got without all that wiggly line nonsense, you can change it from the normal graphic to three simple squares. Normally invisible, when you get a charge, a box lights up. A solid square of light. Nice, simple, VERY easily recognised and intepreted with peripheral vision when moved down to the bottom left.

It can’t really be that easy, can it?

Yes it is.

So, if this issue has kinda annoyed you as well, go forth assured that keen intellects have already pondered the situation over an ounce of shag, and developed a solution. Isn’t that wonderful?

Oh, and I wasn’t joking about QBar. I consider that to be an essential addon. I wouldn’t like to ever have to play without it. If you hadn’t seen it before, you could do worse things than check it out as well.

11 Responses to “Hey Paladins! Holy Power UI got ya down?”
  1. Forreststump says:

Or, as an alternative that can handle ANY UI element:

MoveAnything

I like it because I can also move the boomkin solar/lunar meter thingy, as well as tooltip boxes, Blizzard UI stuff – whatever I want, wherever I want.

2. Kelvinikus says:

Nice option BBB. I personally use Power Auras to get a visual as well as audible alert when it fills to all three. See this link…> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvefW7rpd0 for an overview. Took a few minutes to figure out the setup but it is very nice imo.

Cheers

3. Ulv says:

The first thing I did after playing briefly on PTR was set up PowerAuras with two concentric circles – one that shows when HP gets to 3 stacks and one for the Proc giving a free 3 HP attack/heal.

I find the rest fo the built-in (exo procs) is fine.

Power Aura export:

Aura[2]=Version:4.5; b:0.102; icon:Spell_Holy_MindVision; buffname:Hand of Light; r:0.9843; texture:5; wowtex:true@

• Ulv says:

Fail – managed to only export one!

Set=Page 1@
      Aura[1]=Version:4.5; b:0.0078; thresholdinvert:true; icon:spell_holy_lightsgrace; buffname:Holy Power; r:0.9922; bufftype:10; stacks:3; texture:5; threshold:3; PowerType:9; wowtex:true; size:1.06@

4. Steevee says:

IceHUD also handles the Holy Power issue nicely. Puts a very visible Holy Power bar an inch or so under my Pally’s feet. I was already using IceHUD when the patch came out so I didn’t even have to do anything to configure it to show it. Nice.

5. Walks says:

Anything fun option is Hear Kitty, which will play a crescendoing musical note each time you gain a Holy Power (with a stronger queue for full Holy Power). It’s awesome if you respond to audio better than visuals in your ui.

6. Darth Solo says:

Here’s a guide I wrote about how to configure Power Auras to work with Holy Power.

I prefer Power Auras because I can use it for other classes as well or I can use it for the same class for multiple spells and procs.

7. Zy says:

I’m another IceHud fan myself, I love how it lets me keep my eyes on the middle of the screen and it can track darn near everything (except my shaman’s shields which makes me a very sad shaman but I can dream, maybe someday. . .)

8. AliPally says:

I use Healbot, and it shows it on there. It is crazy of Blizzard to think that having it on your character frame is going to be useful. On seconds thoughts, maybe they aren’t crazy, just lazy.