I’ve had a lot going on in my head about World of Warcraft lately.

I’ve taken kind of a “let’s just be friends, I’d like to see other people” break for a few weeks, while I think about our relationship.

The results of my time away, basically, is that I’ve come to a startling conclusion; World of Warcraft is the greatest game of all time. It may even be the greatest potential game of all time.

I’ll post my thoughts on that stuff later in the week. I’d like to make sure I provide some lunch time “I’m bored” reading material for you, after all.

Right now, though, I’d like to talk about one of the most enduring signs of greatness; how well something stands up to the passage of time.

But I’m not talking, as you might think, about World of Warcraft itself. I’m talking about a blog post discussing the lore within it.

There was a post about the Lore of World of Warcraft that was published in January of 2010 by Shades of Grey, whom you might know better as Anne Stickney, celebrated writer of WoW Insider fame.

It was, even at the time, a legendary post. Brilliant insight, keen observations, excellent deduction and prophetic visions all tying the lore and story of World of Warcraft together in ways that were nothing short of revelatory.

The post brought things together and gave us a clear vision not just of what had come before and where it all fit together, but showed us where we might be going once the Sundering and the Cataclysm came.

The post brought Titans, Old Gods and Internet Dragons together as one cohesive ongoing story stretching across the ages… a story we were right in the middle of.

It’s been a year since that post was published. The Sundering, the Cataclysm, these events it spoke of have already come and gone.

In the wake of all these changes in the experienced content of the game, how well does Shade’s post stand the test of time?

I invite you to go, read that post in it’s entirety, and then take some time to really think about the game you’ve been playing since Cataclysm was released. With your hindsight goggles set to full power, let all those pieces fall into place, and look at the bigger picture.

While you’re there, why not express your appreciation for her writing in the form of a comment? Comments are the coin which a writer cherishes, a coin that is spent in the warmth of the heart. It’s shine never tarnishes, or loses it’s luster. Although you get some asshats every once in a while that is the proverbial wooden nickel.

It’s been a year. I think it’s time to show Shade that she may have won our hearts with Internet Dragons, but it’s her mastery of all that is Warcraft Lore that continues to win our minds.

9 Responses to “Shades of the greatest Lore post of all time”
  1. Katie says:

She actually wrote a follow up post to that one from January shortly after Cataclysm came out. I may have to do some digging to find it. It’s really interesting.

2. Tim says:

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn’t seen it. She was wonderfully predictive of what ended up in Cataclysm. I also wanted to say, “thanks” to you as well for your writing. Thanks for being willing to share your life (both virtual and RL) with your readers.

Tim

3. arrowrest says:

I remember that post! Talk about some prescience about the events in Cataclysm. It really makes you wonder about all the interconnected lore the creative team at Blizz has created and is only hinted at in the game so far.

• bigbearbutt says:

Isn’t that a thing to think on? Much like history books, when looking at something that someone else put together and tied up into a pretty bow, it all seems so obvious, but if you’re one of the people that is living in the middle of it, it can certainly be hard to see the greater issues swirling around you while you’re focused on killing rock dudes in a cavern somewhere.

4. Nabol says:

Mind. Blown.

I hadn’t seen that post yet, but.. wow! Very impressive. Thanks for linking it!

5. Tesh says:

As a creative sort, working in games, I’ve gotta say… the sort of details she teases out there are just the sort of thing that I love to try to hide in games. It’s not that they are meant for everyone to find, it’s that those are the things that make the act of world creation so interesting. If some players catch on to the details and the little threads of story, that’s very gratifying, to be sure… but honestly, there’s a lot of fun just making these things work, building a *world*. It’s why I love writing and creating, whether it’s my beloved art, writing or the games I’ve had a hand in. (And incidentally, why I love digging around in these worlds. I’m a rock solid Explorer type.)

I imagine sometimes it’s the sort of creativity that Tolkien indulged in when he was writing his books. He created a whole world and its history, then told the stories that were just a slice of it. I imagine there are things that we’ll never know about Middle Earth, but because he took the time to make it all work, the parts we do see also just work.

Oh, and BBB, you’re a class act for giving her attention. Good on ya, Bear.

6. Michael says:

Outstanding!!!

So…. if everything posted is true (which is looks to be, judging from in game content so far):

1. The big baddie of this expansion will probably be another old god
    2. A future expansion(s) will mean the end of the Aspects (except for the Red) as everyone that the Old Gods have whispered to have been killed or imprisoned
    3. Once we get through killing the Old Gods, there won’t be any reason for the Titans NOT to push the reset switch on those of us cursed by flesh

4. Perhaps the most ominous one: Totally see an “end” in site for Azeroth. We end up fighting ALL the old gods, and perhaps the Titans themselves to keep our fleshy selves, well… fleshy

And it got me wondering…. Do you think Sylvanas is being whispered to, or is her madness all her own? Now… that would be icing, wouldn’t it? I mean the player base has never gone and killed a faction leader before…

7. My poor old blog has been so neglected. You managed to post this right while I was in the middle of redecorating so I had no way to respond, but a guildy pointed this out on our guild forums. Thank you for the kind words — it’s the speculation and trying to pick the lore apart and predict where it’s going that keeps me entirely too entertained with this game, I swear.

…although stabbin dragons in the butt for fun and profit is pretty entertaining, too!

Keep writing, I love your work. :)

Anne

• bigbearbutt says:

I know, and that was mean of me. However, your adventures in painting sounded lovely on Twitter, and i followed each new episode with abated breath. I mean baited breath. If you smelled my bacon and cheddar pringle breath right now, you’d know why.