Today, we traveled across town on the red line subway, took some buses, and visited the Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum.

The Adler Planetarium was very cool to visit, Alex enjoyed it a great deal. He has always loved the planets, the stars and our solar system as fields of interest, and he tells me that, of the entire day, the giant Sun and planets that comprise a massive orerry on the second floor. He really did like the models. He also liked the Explorer area, where he could put on a jacket and a backpack and drive carts and move mechanical arms.

When we finished at Adler, we moved on down to the Field Museum, where we spent the rest of the day.

For the record, the Field Museum was wonderful. It’s freaking huge. We had to narrow down what we did, so we focused on Egypt, Africa, Mammals, Dinosaurs and the Mineral, Jade and Gem rooms.

So much to see, so much to read, so very little time!

Just a small sampling of the things we saw!

Tomorrow, we have the biggest day of all planned, as we visit the Science Museum all day, and at the very end of the day we’ll be wrapping our vacation up with a trip to Chinatown.

For tonight, since we are all together as a family, there was no carousing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but you’ll be pleased to know I scandalized our Italian waiter by having Guinness with my braised beef canneloni. :)

Until tomorrow, my friends, and TGIF to everyone!

17 Responses to “Chicago – Day 3 – A massive boner”
  1. Clapus says:

Definitely a mage dagger. I love the Field Museum.

2. Minos says:

Did your son learn the word “orrery” today or did he already know it? Either way, good work Alex!

3. Babb says:

You’ll be at MSI on Friday?

*takes Friday off work to go Bear hunting*

Of the five museum/naturey/sciency places I’ve been to in the city, MSI is by far my favorite.(Adler is a very close second though)

PS: If at all possible, try to go on the U-Boat tour. I’ve been to MSI seven or eight times and have yet to take a tour of the boat.

4. Solitha says:

BBB, ever tapped into the Bad Astronomy blog by Phil Plait? He’s a skeptic, a geek, and a VERY enthusiastic astronomer. It may take some simplification for the Cub, but it might also be something you could share with him.

5. Tsudrats says:

I vote we all pretend to be BBB’s family and go on an excursion with you :)

• Beerbear says:

Yes! I’ll fly over and pretend to be the youngest kid. I’m a bit tall for my age (6’8″) :P

6. Rivs says:

It does my heart good to see someone enjoying my home town. Sometimes I love just getting lost in the city, and exploring things, and what a great time to be here, the weather is being decent.

If you do stop by the “Bean” In Millenium park…go under it, and look up…It’s a cool effect. Not many people no about, or at least I didn’t until I did it.

7. […] Big Bear Butt Blogger is in Chicago and loving it. I love my city, and it warms my heart when someone enjoys it to.  So I gotta give him some High […]

8. Grim says:

Am I the only one who looked at the pic of you guys and the dino and thought it was trying to crush your heads?

“I’m crushing your head. I’m crushing your head!”

9. ursiheil says:

Hrmmm… if I go BM, can I tame the big skeleton dino?