It was a night of surprises for BBB.

It turns out, this is funny, but it turns out that a little knowledge can be a bad thing.

I knew just enough to be dangerous to myself, but not enough to plan properly. And I just know I drug some of you down with me.

Lemme back this bus up to the WTF dock and start from the beginning, okay?

I was very hopeful when I logged in last night.

According to reports, “smoothest patch release evar.”

Well, hell, that sounds promising.

Patched up, logged in, set Load Out of Date Addons to on, pick a character and login.

I picked my Paladin. Of all my characters, my level 71 Paladin was the one I was most excited to login, because I had the entire delicious set of Level 60 PVP gear to transmog into.

Loading bar started, and at the 10% mark stopped. Total system freeze.

Um, what?

Hard shutdown of WoW, login and try again. Freeze, same point.

Okay, maybe it’s Northrend. Let’s try Stormwind, and a different character.

Back out, reboot computer, check MMO Champion and WoW Insider and Twitter.

Nope, everyone else in the world seems fine, WTF?

Huh.

I updated addons, but not all were updated. I wonder…

Login, disable all addons and try again.

I’m in!

And now the hunt begins…

Which one of you little pricks is crashing my WoW. I gots playing to do!

It turns out, FuBar no be good no more meng, nor is the Fubar2Broker alternative I’ve been using getting update love.

This… this is a crisis.

I can do without a lot, but there is no way, NO FREAKING WAY I can do without a Fubar/ChocolateBar style band at the top of my screen that lets me mouseover an expandable Guild and Friends list. I need to know, at a moments notice, who is online and where they are at any given moment.

That’s right, I keep tabs on everyone. I’m watching you!

Not really. But if I suddenly get the urge to whisper Matheo or Ursimage, I want to be able to mouseover the guild list in a hot millisecond to see if they’re busy in an instance or a raid first. Opening pages of windows and scrolling through the guild roster? Hells no. This will not stand!

Oh, the addon author quit WoW two years ago, according to Curse. Hmm, I guess it will stand.

A quick scan of Curse addons to just go whole Chocolate for LDB (LibDataBroker) and Broker shows there are LDB Friends and LDB Guild. Do these replace my old GuildFu and FriendsFu? Will they plug into my ChocolateBar?

Okay, crisis averted, I don’t have to quit WoW just yet.

Moving on… Paladin time! Let’s get ready to moggle! And only an hour and a half of the night lost.

I’ve tried to stay spoiler-free, so Ursi tells me the Mogging Vendor is somewhere around the outer ring near SW Cathedral. A quick flight overhead shows me a massive crowd around a little door. Uh huh, fresh baked cookies? Nope, that would be the new vendor hut.

Time to mog! I pick my Field Marshal item, I go over to… wait, WTF do you mean I cannot use that item appearance for transmogging?

Just… just hold the f’ck on here.

Moggin’ has been on the PTR for months. (In my mind, rhymes with hoggin’.) There have been blue posts, articles, FAQs, WoW Insider in-depth articles. This must be a mistake, someone would have said something if this was intended. A bug, certainly.

Er, no.

Bashiok said, LAST NIGHT;

The items out in the world (Marshals, Grand Marshal’s, High Warlord, etc) that use the level 60 PvP art are un-transmogrifiable (including the item level 115 stuff that shares the name from Burning Crusade).

In Area 52 a set of vendors has replaced the PvP Vendors who used to live there. Grex Brainboiler, Krixel Pinchwhistle, Tini Smalls, Kezzik the Striker, Big Zokk Torquewrench, and Leeni “Smiley” Smalls. These vendors sell new, transmogrifiable versions of the classic armor to players who have the Feat of Strength for Legionnaire/Knight-Captain or higher under the old PvP system.

There was a bug with the Feat of Strength granting access to these items, but was hotfixed within the last couple of minutes. If you meet the criteria log out and back in and you should be able to access the vendor.

The design intent with the Feat of Strength achievement requirement was specifically to limit these particular art styles to players who earned them through the OG (and relentlessly difficult) PvP honor system, while keeping the door open to reward them to more people in the future.

In a future patch the items sold by the Area 52 vendors will also be renamed ‘Replica of’ to be more consistent with the items sold by the Darkmoon Faire – they’re currently exact duplicates of the original items that allow transmogrification, which is obviously a bit confusing.

Potentially related, since he’s in the same area, Kezzik the Striker sells inaccessible Season 1 Gladiator’s, Season 2 Merciless Gladiator’s, and Season 3 Vengeful Gladiator’s gear to all players, as the majority of that gear didn’t have restrictions.

Have a nice day.

As an existing rule this does not irritate me, not at all.

I said when I posted about it in the first place, the level 60 epic PvP gear was very difficult to obtain at the time, and I would completely understand it being made difficult to obtain or restricted to those that had really earned it back in da day.

What does torque me a bit is that this comes out of left field to me. My Paladin did not exist when the “Feat of Strength” and the PvP associated with it happened, so I can’t even go back and try it earn it the ‘right’ way. Not that I would have without knowing moggin’ would exist someday in the future, but still.

It’s nice that the only people who can sport those iconic looks on their modern gear are the folks who earned it, but it sure would have been great if I had seen a FAQ, WoW Insider article or mention somewhere that you might as well not get that gear, you won’t be able to use it.

I’m sure this is my own damn fault.

This is of course what I mean about ‘a little knowledge being a dangerous thing’. If I hadn’t been skimming the news reports to avoid spoilers, I probably would have seen a blue post or FAQ that said this somewhere a while back. They even added new vendors in Area 52, they must have said SOMETHING about it while the PTR was going on. I just didn’t see it, because I wanted to hit the new instances and raid cold and fresh.

So, I has a sad.

There is good and bad to this.

The good is, I get the thrill of the hunt. I get to find a new set I want, set goals for how to get it, and log in with a purpose. That’s always fun.

The bad is, I’ve looked at all the Paladin gear sets, every single one, and none of them with the exception of Lightbringer really says “Paladin” to me with style.

I know a lot of people like the Judgment armor, and I agree, it’s very nice. But it’s not for me. To me Judgment armor is very cool to look at, but it speaks more to the Warhammer 40K religious ethos; the fighting force charging into battle, a heavily armed and armored holy warrior at their side to oversee the consistency of their spiritual faith… and apply an attitude adjustment with a chainsword where the faith seems to be wavering.

Very cool, kick ass concept, but that’s not MY Paladin.

MY Paladin is a holy warrior that heads into the teeth of the dragon proudly armed with sword, shield and faith, braving flame and claw to protect the innocent and defend the weak.

Others may strap on heavy plate armor and go forth to battle, and they may be brilliant generals leading armies on the field or small unit commanders destroying the enemy through fire and manuever, or even solo berserkers tearing into their foes and leaving gobbets of flesh hanging from the spikes of their bloody axes.

What sets MY Paladin apart from them is the aspect of faith, and how he lives his life and fights his foes under the influence of that faith. Faith in the light, faith in justice, faith coupled with a desire to lead by example and be an inspiration to others on the field of battle, faith that it is his duty to ensure that the light SHALL overcome the darkness.

MY Paladin isn’t a gritty anti-hero wearing black and red plate, big spikes, curving trophy horns, skimpy chainmail bikinis, or worse yet, camouflaging his beliefs and hiding in the bushes, waiting inside his mud-coloured armor to lunge out and slip throats.

The Warriors and Death Knights can strap on evil-looking blood-drenched heavy plate decorated with skulls and tentacles and spiky bits all they like. They can wield massive weapons and deal brutal damage to their enemies reveling in the gore. At the end of the day, their strength does not flow from the conviction of their faith in the light.

The Paladin trusts in the Light, and he (or she) polishes his armor until his cohorts are gleaming. You need gleaming cohorts to be a Paladin. It’s a fact. (That’s a Terry Pratchett joke, btw).

Lightbringer is great looking armor, probaby better in some ways than Field Marshal, but when I originally browsed the armor sets for the Paladin and saw that Field Marshal set, with it’s gleaming gold, silver and blue, and above all the gorgeous matching Aegis shield, I fell in love.

Well, looks like my Paladin gets jilted at the transmoggin’ altar.

I wish I would have known. It would have been nice to not get my hopes up, to have my expectations set that high.

I won’t miss the armor itself quite as much as the shield. I do so love that shield. I’m level 71, and I’m still using that level 60 Aegis shield. I don’t want to give it up.

That’s okay. Life goes on. *sniff*. I’ll do fine without it. *sniff* *sniff* I didn’t want it that much anyway. Mean old armor.

*BWAHHHH*

Okay, seriously though, it will be fun as hell to take a tanking paladin into the raids necessary to get Lightbringer. And, hey bonus… Cassie is leveling her Disc Priest healing with me… so once we hit level 85, it’ll be time to grab a few DPS friends and see us some old school raids!

Oh yeah, and I also ran two of the new 5 person instances last night. I’d talk about it a little, it was smokin’ good fun, but I’ll give the patch a few days so folks don’t get anything spoiled.

For anyone that was foolish enough to follow my advice and got your own level 60 epic PVP gear for transmogging… I’m sorry. I apologise for steering you wrong.

But look on the bright side.

Ain’t nothing stopping you from wearing it as an ‘about town’ set just like before, and fooling people into thinking you’re a PVP god!

Unless, you know… you really are.

26 Responses to “Patch Night Did Not Go As Planned”
  1. Nurowyn says:

Yeah, I didn’t find out about that until last night, either, and I think I did a decent job of following coverage of mogging! For me all that means is finding a new staff, so I’m not crushed, but it sucks for people like you who had planned an entire outfit around it! Best of luck finding a replacement set that makes you happy!

I’ll be running around in the T5 me and 3-5 other guildies farmed from SSC and TK with the hunter staff from Auchenei Crypts Yay obnoxious gear animation! :D

2. syggy says:

Thats both good and bad. I wonder how many of those folks are still playing or even have all the armour? And there is no way to earn the armour now is there?

But, I thought it was the sh_t when I couldnt moggle the only thing I want to moggle – my red defias mask for my rogue. Why not. It won’t hurt the game nor will it hurt Blizz. Upset me so much, I logged after 20 minutes and went to bed. But man, o man, it would look tough with my black defias armour – now tonight I need to see if I can moggle that.

3. Xew says:

i was sad my invisible leather chest was un-moggable. But I soldiered on, mogged my shoulders and legs and had a laugh… then I tried the LFR on a lark and ended up winning tier shoulders and legs (ironic, in that Alonis kinda way, no?). I was quite happy, and then I had an epiphany. I don’t really care what my toon looks like. I personally think season 10 pvp armor looks amazing on a druid, and run around in my pvp cloths a lot of the time (never know when you log in and TB is in progress or just about to start) plus regular BGs are fun for me too. But I digress.

I too won’t ever get the level 60 pvp gear (though the horde side has that definitive Ork WAAAGH look to it thats not appealing). But that’s ok (see previous sentence). I’m sorry you can’t look the way you wanted. I’m sorry that Blizz, for various reasons, won’t allow mogging to be done across the board. Halfassed attempt is halfassed, and whatnot.

On the other hand, and completely unrelated – one of my guildies and I were commiserating on the lack of lightsabers and companions who’ll run off and sell our grey items. I’m am so wavering on getting SWtOR or not… budget says no, cool factor says yes. WAAAAGH!!!

4. Ngita says:

Their where enough posts about the pvp armor that I just assumed it was broken and wrote it off, it was only from complaints in the forums about how unfair ti was that i worked out it was intentionally that way.

I wil have to have an experiment tonight. If my lock does not have sufficient old school rank its only because i decided I did not want to spend 4-6 weeks of my life trying to get just 1 more rank:(

One of things I do often regret ie every time i look at my wsg rep is that I did not pvp more on my main. Old school rank 6 and still 14k/21k after 7 years:(

5. Elladrion says:

It most certainly is NOT “somehow your fault” BBB, and in fact a large portion of the community is up in arms over this (myself included). There was NO mention, ANYWHERE about this kind of limitation. It was even available on the PTR for a while, then suddenly it stopped working. People made bug reports and asked on the PTR forums what was going on with it, no answer. If they had made this known, even a small post about it to let people know, most people would have been slightly disappointed but fine with it, just another one of those Blizzard decisions that we don’t like but have to accept.

But no, they specifically made that gear widely available to leveling players, and let people carry on thinking that they could use it for transmog for MONTHS. Not just you, but MANY people were planning to use this incredibly iconic gear for their characters, just to log in and get an error message. And Blizzard said NOTHING. So they have pissed off a LOT of people in a time when they’re trying to shore up their dams and stem the tide of subscription losses, all to give a “Badge of Honor” to a very VERY small portion of the wow populace who may or may not even play 7 years later. But the kicker, the real kicker, is that these players HAVE a badge of honor already! They have the feat of strength for doing it, that nobody can ever obtain. More importantly they have the title, which blizzard already set a precedent for giving away now with rated BGs. But for YEARS these players had the badge that could no tbe faked, could not be lost, and was more obvious than the gear they replaced, they had titles when nobody else could get titles.

Starting in BC, I used to envy players. Even grunts and scouts. It wasn’t like now where you have 50 differant ones to choose from, you had unavailable pvp titles, Champion of the Naaru, and Hand of a’dal. Otherwise, no title for you, and no way to get one if you didn’t raid. These people had their badges, their proof of what they had done. And i didn’t, becuase i COULDN’T. not becuase I wouldn’t. And now, the coolest looking armor in the game, that you can currently get and wear, you just can’t LOOK like you’re wearing it. And Blizzard said NOTHING!

It’s a double F-you form blizzard, not only are we unable to use the gear, you are unable to earn the right. Screw your 5 years of constant, continued and devoted play, you shoulda done it for 6.

6. E says:

Regarding addons, I use ElvUI for the bulk of my setup, with a “Bazooka” bar up top for other little things (lfg, professions, etc). ElvUI has the guild/friends thing built into it.

I had planned on getting level 70 PVP gear on my Paladin (there’s a nice golden brownish set that I think will make for a pretty realistic “Sunwalker” look), but was dismayed to discover they’d kept the items at higher honor prices, rather than the lower I’d seen on the PTR. It’s nothing a few runs of Tol Barad and/or weekend PVPing won’t resolve, but still was surprising/annoying, particularly since I can get newer “legacy” pvp gear on the cheap.

It unfortunately does feel like they half-assed mogging, and I really hope they loosen some of the restrictions at some point.

7. At least one Guildie was stung with this. I’d like to see Blizzard apologies for the 12.5th hour announcement of this and give folks some Honor back.

8. Eryius says:

I haven’t logged in yet after the patch, but I do have a full lvl 60 set ready for my disc priest, it looks so great! Specially the staff!

So, it’s kind of sad reading that logging in will not give the promised results… awww…. /sadface
    But, good to have a headsup warning about it.

• bigbearbutt says:

There have been additional blue posts from Bashiok about it, making it clear that yes, Blizzard did this intentionally but just did not tell anyone in davance, or explain what they were doing when the question came up on PTR.

It’s been made clear that this is not a bug but an intended feature, and basically the tone I got was one of “if you didn’t earn it back in the day, suck it up and move on.”

Not only is it intended, but they are looking towards MoP to implement account-wide achievements, and mentioned making the PvP feat of strength account wide so that a player that earned the PvP gear on one character cuold then wear the level 60 pvp gear on all their characters.

So what I’m saying is, this is NOT going to change any time soon. Find a new set and move on. :)

• Eryius says:

I’d love the account wide achievements and such, being an altoholic and all…
        But, for this case, it would not help, since I never did any PvP back in the days :)

Ah well, I’m really looking forward to collect the Priest T13, looks really nice imo ^^

9. Riegnman says:

When I saw that I couldn’t mogg the ONE SET THAT I WANTED TO USE FOR MY PALLY, I decided that mogging wasn’t for me and I would keep my gold; thank you ver much, Blizzard.

What did royally peeve me was that when I logged into every one of my 85’s almost all of my gear was yellow. It cost me upwards of 600g just to repair some mystical damage that my gear took between logging off on Tuesday morning and logging back in on Tuesday evening.

Blizzard will squeeze gold out of you somehow, I guess.

10. Copey says:

Triple B, you saved me huge with the suggestion of ChocolateBar. I too did the add on dance, and I too found Fubar (or at least the guild portion of it) was in fact FUBARed. I had resigned myself to do with out until I had time to trouble shoot another, then bam read your post. Downloaded, and boom it’s a better setup then I had before.

Thanks! Now, if your next rant could tell me why it is my mature language filter always seems to default back to “on” every time I log out of the game, that would be FANTASTIC.

11. Herr Drache says:

I switched to ChocolateBar a while ago when it became clear that FuBar was fubared. SocialState (for guild, friends, and RealID friends) and Broker AltGuild to keep tabs on my ex guild – easier than “friending” half of them.

And of all addons what killed me on patch day was “Fishing Buddy”. Really? That’s what keeps me from logging in?!?! That’s fixed now, so it’s all good :)

12. Kemonojin says:

Unexpected help. I had the same ‘10% and poop’ problem. Just loaded LDB guild and friends… (launch) … and they fixed — well, almost. Yay, getting the ‘oh noes! I can’t find 3k of storage in the three gigs of free memory you have!’ idiot problem again… (sigh) Oh goody. Now my druid is poisoned. I can log into any character but her… and she’s not even the one with the most addons.

Can log in with the hunter, though… who has all the addons the druid does, plus another 10 or so.

Gave up on Fubar a long time ago, sadly. I still miss some of the plugins for that… and Titanbar from even longer ago. :P Been using Bazooka, because someone else recommended it. Going to miss fubar2broker too, probably..

13. Meighan says:

I’m using the Royal Crest of Lordaeron (from Culling of Strath) with my Lightbringer. Looks awesome. I know, not the same, but it works.

• bigbearbutt says:

What I got at the moment, but not equipped, is the shield from Maximillian’s quest line in Ungoro Crater, killing ‘dragons’ and rescuing maidens, and I am coupling that with most of the pieces from the imperial Plate set, and the belt from Lawbringer.

There is an awesome shoulder piece that would go with it from normal mode Underbog, Swamplord Musel’ek, I THINK they’re called the Truth Bearer Shoulderguards, I’m going to run for when we get a little higher level than 71.

As far as hands for the set… I’m at a loss. I’m not trying to perfectly match the Stormwind Guards look, I’d just like to find gloves that would be an attractive fit for the Imperial set. Considering how hard it was originally to get those recipes, I’m still kinda cheeved that there aren’t any green quality or better gloves as a solid match.

Any glove suggestions?

14. Thelandira says:

Like Elladrion stated, it’s not your fault if anyone picked up any level 60 PvP gear for moggin’. Blizz’s announcement for their restrictions on it came completely outta left field….and MANY players are upset. Not sure if you follow the WoW forums at all, but there is a topic about it that keeps hitting the max number of pages in comments. Last I checked, it stretched across 4 threads.

I, too, got burned on it….but not that badly. Was going to use the shield and 1H sword on my pally, the bow on my hunter and the shoulders on my lock. Luckily I had other outfits planned as well, so I had an alternative/back-up set.

On the topic of addons, the “Addon Shuffle” was the first of things to do on my list as well. Surprisingly many worked fine and just a handful gave me log in issues. I also got rid of FuBar a long time ago and have been using Chocolate. The one I use for friends and guildies is called Ara_Broker_Guild_Friends….can get it at either WowInterface or Curseforge….can’t remember which one.

Other than the addon issues, the game itself went off without a hitch on patch day. No server crashes is a WONDERFUL thing now on patch days…unlike days of old. How many of you also switched Kara raid night from Tue to Wed?

p.s. – I love my prize/shirt :o)

15. bookworm13 says:

Yet another bungle in the way they handled it is that I do have a shaman I got up to Champion rank back in the good/bad old days. Day after day of endless battlegrounds (and the only character I have exalted with the three classic BGs). I actually saved the level 58 (not the level 60 version!) Champion rank chest and shoulder gear that I bought because of the effort it cost to earn it. AND I CANNOT USE IT TO TRANSMOG! I have the Feat of Strength. I have the actual gear. You can tell it is the original gear because of its level. And I still cannot use it to transmog unless I go to Area 52 to buy a copy of gear that I have in my bags…

16. Brian aka protectorate says:

BBB,
    I’m sure you have already, but give the tier 6 a second look. It’s definitely light filled and the helm is the only meh piece since its not a “real” helm. In addition, check out the shield that drops from Supremus in Black Temple called Felstone Bulwark. (I’m typing on my phone so its really hard to wowhead link it for you).

Then just find a matching weapon. I personally like Crusaders Glory from ToC 10 man. I know you can’t get those till higher levels though.

Good luck and happy mogging.

-prot

17. Reliquary says:

I wish I could remember but there was another blogger that created the Pali sets based off the original theme. IE made a Sunwalker set, Blood Knight, Dwarf etc. If you can’t find the tier set you like thats an option, and you always have the Scarlet Crusade and Argent Dawn sets.

• bigbearbutt says:

I will certainly check those out, although I know I read them both at one point. Not sure why I can’t remember.

Oh yeah, because I locked onto the one perfect set and didn’t give it any more thought, that’s why.

18. Riegnman says:

My guess is that the conversation at Blizzard went something like this:
    “Nice, everybody can express their individuality now that we have transmogging working.” and then a few days before it dropped they said:

“Crap! We did our job too well back in the day and every second or third pally is gonna look exactly the same ’cause that’s the epitome of Pally sets and it’s dirt cheap What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do?”

Then someone said, “Well, my great-grandfather had to work hard for that set back when he actually earned it. We could just tell everyone that they can’t use it unless they have been playing for 7 years and earned it back when other people were spending their time doing other stuff, like inventing the wheel. . .”

“Sounds like a good idea. Give that woman/man a promotion!”

It’s just a guess but that’s how it plays out in the world in my head which very often is completely disconnected from reality anyway.