I didn’t do it when it was the cool, in thing to do. All the really cool people leaped into it, and gushed about it, and made it sound very neat. Fun. Mahvelous. Challenging.

The Iron Man WoW Challenge.

I was really tempted, it sounded pretty fun to set those kinds of limits on myself, see how crafty I could be for the love of the game, and of arbitrary self-imposed limits to fight off ennui.

Then Blizzard themselves came out and did all but endorse the IMWC as an official game mode.

Well, I pushed past it. I was strong!

I am going to do it… but at my own pace. Kinda have to, so much to do, so many characters to play, so little time.

The rules, as I understand them from this thread and upon which I shall abide, are;

Get from level 1-85 using the rules below.

Ironman Challenge Rules

1. All gear employed must be White or Grey. Also, no Heirlooms of any sort.
2. No transfer of gear, items or money from any other character (yours or others)
3. No gear enhancement(s), thus no Socket Gems, Enchanting or Reforging. Exceptions exist for class abilities. (example: Rogue poisons)
4. No specializations, talent points, or glyphs. This restriction also applies to talent points for pets.
5. No professions or secondary skills. An exception is made for First Aid.
6. No potions/flasks/elixirs (except those labeled as Quest Items)
7. No food buffs or other external buffs (this includes buffs from items and other players).
8. No grouping or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
9. No dungeons/raids. No battlegrounds/arenas.
10. No guilds. An exception is made for Ironman guilds (no perks)
11. No Refer-A- Friend activities. The intention of the challenge is that it be done without assistance.
12. No add-ons that assist in combat (try to challenge yourself and do the most with the least).
13. THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character.

Permitted:
- All mounts
- All bags/containers
- All quests (including holiday and daily quests)
- You may train and use all your class skills (including your own buffs)

The one thing that I have to admit I don’t like is that I can’t specialize or use talent points. I like talent points, and getting more abilities. When I asked for suggestions on race/class on Twitter, Tish Tosh Tesh suggested Draenei Frost Mage, and I said great… not remembering you’re not allowed to spec frost, or anything else.

I will try. I will see how well I can do. Bigironbutt is live, somewhere, and we shall see if I make it to level 10 and am qualified to join the WoW Ironman Challenge website roster.

If you are taking part in this as well, I hope I’ll see you alive and still kicking!

32 Responses to “Jumping on the IMWC bandwagon”
  1. Vrykerion says:

Good luck, Three-B! Go go Bigironbutt! :D

“That is a lot of “ooh, that sounds so awesome but is overhyped so I must avoid it like the plague” to overcome.”

You should have done it 7 months ago when there was just a half dozen of us or so and no one knew it existed. Then again, if no one knew it existed then how would you heard about it. Better question, how did those half dozen of us hear about it? Unless we heard about it without hearing about it and – oh no I’ve gone cross eyed. X_X

• bigbearbutt says:

What I’m hoping to get out of this is a renewed sense that class abilities, positioning and everything you do in the game world while leveling matters.

I’m not really as into the idea of being part of a meme, as I am attracted to the idea that, with risk of death, real death, will come tension, excitement, nervousness, and incentive to be careful, worry, learn all class skills I can get to survive and basically play the game the way it was when I first leveled my Druid.

That is why I’m not sure the full rules, where I don’t spec, are appropriate for me. I welcome a reason to master every nuance of the class, not block out big chunks. But then again, the rules were definitely grown over time to what constitutes a real challenge. I have to take that to mean that, if I did spec and use talent points, I’d just be too damn powerful even in grey gear to feel challenged.

I’ll see. My Mage is already level 4. Still at least 6 levels before things should start getting tense, but I’m having lots of fun getting into the mindset.

2. Tesh says:

Yeah, I didn’t know about the “no spec” bit, sorry. :(

It really does seem like an odd choice to kill specs, though. With the new “big role choice” at level 10, that part at least seems central to the class sub-identity.

3. Dovius says:

This reminds me of when there was the thread on the old WoW forums about the epic adventures of Gutrot, the naked, unarmed warrior going for max level.
    Hell, he even made it in the end.
    Good luck to ya BBB, you’ll have us all heering on the sidelines :D

4. Max says:

Challenges like these are created when there is a lack of meaningful content left for the challenger.

• bigbearbutt says:

Nah… I’ve still got a million things I’m doing. Maybe other people are so bored with WoW thats their motivation, but then again, is there anything in the universe so eternally exciting that nobody gets bored with it after six years?

• Zy says:

My other two hobbies (biking and photography) have lasted 8 and 12 years respectively so WoW is still the noob in my trinity of pastimes :)

This is one more dimension in the multiple ways you can play WoW. Doesn’t have any kind of reflection on content (or lack thereof).

5. Eryius says:

It’s a fun thing to do. I started this a few weeks ago, and taking my sweet time (also got 10 alts going). My mage is now level 11 (my previous mage got overrun by the Elwynn murlocs at lvl 9, snief).
    It’s funny, but I get so nervous when things get hairy I can’t play this too often haha :)

6. The Ancient says:

I did the Psyn/Vry Challenge not because I didn’t have anymore to do in WoW but because it was a whole lot of fun. Brought back the days of yore for me. I started to do this Challenge but the whole no-death made me too jumpy. Best of luck I know you’ll have fun!

7. BearlyDeene says:

I do not like the no spec, nor do I like the no dungeon rule. I think the no dungeon rule makes it easier to not die.

Dungeons not only make it so that you have to rely upon 4 other people not to kill you, but also you have to know when to fold’m so to speak. Not to mention it would be hilarious to run dungeons in all white gear. I would not do this as the tank…

8. Megan says:

This has greatly intrigued me. Much of the fun had left the game after the last round of my group of friends splintering and I haven’t logged in since November sometime, but this sounds very very interesting…

9. Herr Drache says:

One problem I have with that is the “no buffs from others”. I hope that means “If I get one, I’ll remove it” and not “If I get one, I have to re-roll”

Why? Because on most of my toons that can give a buff, I frequently toss out random buffs, especially at lower players. I wouldn’t want that to cause someone to have to re-roll.

• Tsudrats says:

That was my thought also. I’m hoping my ‘random acts of buff spamming’ have not caused anyone to re-roll and, now tempted by the whole iron man concept, does it mean I’d have to re-roll if someone buffs me in passing or can I just debuff myself?

10. Skip says:

I love this idea! One of the things I always felt wow was lacking, as a former eq player, was the fear factor. Being terrified of death and getting sweaty palms sounds awesome!

11. Jill says:

Thanks Bear for sharing this. I guess I live under a rock, because this is the first time I’ve heard of this, LOL.

I think I’m going to try this, at least for a few levels to see how it goes. I agree that we should get to spend our talent points. I may take this opportunity to make a new character on a RP-PVE realm. It would be a lot more difficult to give in to the temptation to share gold, gear, etc – if the toon is on a different server.

There is still SO much that I need to do on all my other toons, so I’m not sure I should be starting something new now, but why not? It sounds like fun!

I don’t understand people that are bored with WOW. Either they play way more than I do (which is probable actually) or they are not as easily entertained, which is also possible.

Checkout my new and improved blog if you have time. I need more readers! http://www.geekypeach.com

12. Hedwig says:

13. Hedwig says:

Checkout my new and improved blog if you have time. I need more readers!

• bigbearbutt says:

Don’t know whats up, just found all of your recent comments in my spam filter on the blog.

I’ve never spammed you, but I use a shared spam filter that blacklists people that others have flagged as spam.

I always check my spam folder before deleting, so I catch them (see Suxxy, poor guy has been having his comments spammed for about 4 years now, he just patiently comments anyway), but you might want to see who the hell did this to your IP.

The plugins I use on my WordPress blog for spam control are Akismet and Bad Behavior, and of the two Akismet is the one that shares the spam flags.

• Suxxy says:

B3, you know I just comment to make you scan your spam log… /tic

• bigbearbutt says:

Grrr…. and yes, I dug your comment out of my spam filter. Grrr.

Lol, you know, this is almost a blogging mini-game. ‘Find ALL the comments that nice people leave that get stuck in the spam filter before you delete them’

14. Viv says:

I decided to give this a try, and boy did I ever try. 5 dead and deleted characters later, I gave up. LOL

Was thinking about doing this again though, but with talents. I think that might make things a whole lot more interesting, and although I get that the challenge is suppose to be hard, I’m not so sure that deliberately avoiding talents is needed. It’s like running as a paladin without seals or some such thing. I realize that would be against the “rules”, but that’s ok.. yes?

Anyway, wish you the best of luck Bx3 and all you others out there, may you get further than I did (lvl 19) /cry

15. Shadowson says:

The Ironman challenge is definitely a fun pasttime after not having much else to do lately. I’ve gotten a night elf rogue up to 44, and counting.

It’s crazy, actually having to measure yourself up to the mob, and having mobs 5 levels lower than you have more health than you. It puts a lot more fear into the game, and you have to be cautious. It’s definitely been a great thing to be a part of. (And on an RP server, transmog gear makes you so much money if you find the right pieces.

Also, making the level to get your next set of white upgrades has to be one of the most exciting things ever.

And as far as talents goes, this challenge breaks your character down to the bare minimums. Talents understandably are incredibly powerful at lower levels. And Blizzard has made it so you are constantly getting new abilities as you level, so even without talents, your character is constantly growing. Getting trademark rogue abilities to help make combat easier has been enough to sate the character development desire. Without talents though and everything, you’re really stuck facing scary mobs with only your class abilities, your tiny health pool, and really really bad gear.

16. Thelandira says:

I tried it a few nights ago. Created a Goblin Mage (the goblin starting area is lots of fun). Made it to 3 bubbles away from level 10 and got killed. :o( So, I deleted him and started again. Made it to level 4…then died….lol. I think the hardest part is setting your mind-frame to “over cautious” after years of “aaahhhhhhhhhh…run in and kill ‘em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”.

I may give it another go. I’m sure if I do it’ll be another Goblin Mage. They have a killer animation for throwing fireballs…it’s like throwing a ball underhanded…looks really funny & cool at the same time. Plus, for most of your time in the starting zone you get to use a vehicle/hot rod to zip all around with. It even has a horn you can honk and you can run over NPCs and send them flying…lol.

The main downside is that the Priest trainer in the starting zone ALWAYS buffs you with Fortitude when you run by her, which is a lot. You are CONSTANTLY having to unbuff it.

17. Riegnman says:

My guild often does “naked runs” on our 85′s through LK Heroics. Not near as hard as making it to lvl 70 in white gear only, but if you’re just in for a quick bout of “can I do this”, it’s a fun past time.

18. [...] Ironeffy, cool, I’ll follow along. And then Euphyley’s Ironsteve entered the race. Next, Big Bear Butt declares for the Ironman with Bigironbutt. I cannot stop myself, I tried but I [...]

19. Wren says:

Heya Bear.

I too am thinking about trying this, but the “No spec” thing turned me off as well. Since its purely for self exploration I may try it, but choose a spec and NOT put in any talents.

I am debating between going with a cloth wearer so I can always look good, or a plate wearer so I can get some half decent (read: still terrible) defenses while leveling. The idea of playing those classes without “oh crap” buttons scares me though.

On a separate note: Would you mind checking out my youtube video?

I convinced my wife to sing a WoW parody song and would love to have the bear give me an opinion on it?

20. Shane says:

I got to lvl 9 then had to go do something IRL and havent been back, been a couple weeks :(

21. Tsudrats says:

I was thinking a nelf druid … shadow meld to drop agro … but does a HoT count as a buff?

22. Navimie says:

This is the Stephanie Meyer one. I bet that’s gonna confuse the hell out of people.

23. Suxxy says:

Well, the IMWC is currently listed on the WoW Launcher.

With a sign-up sheet at http://wowironman.com/

I have a Belf Mage lvl 13 and I’ve had 3 close shaves so far, it’s the same feeling of dread as with a Diablo II Hardcore character back in the day :))