The cinematic trailer for Mists of Pandaria is out, and it was a nice way to start a morning.

I love the philosophical shift in this trailer. I wonder how this is going to work out in the long term.

In the previous expansion cinematics for World of Warcraft, it started with the journey, but finished up focused on what would turn out to be our raiding end goal.

I felt that this cinematic was a breath of fresh air, going back to the very first vanilla WoW cinematic. It established where we were in the game, fighting and butting heads faction to faction, and then in a shift of perspective opened up a whole new world of possibility for us to explore.

We’ve always been focused on a final big bad, and I’ve posted before that Alex likes that. It sets a simple, easily defined goal when you log into the game; work a little closer to killing the big bad wolf. Maybe get a little better gear, develop closer ties to allied reputations, defeat lesser bosses, develop information on who the big bad is or what his plot is to foil, even just figure out how to forge a key to open the big bad’s front door.

This time, in a very appropriate change, it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey along the way.

I know my son will enjoy the game, but without that clear goal staring him in the face at the login screen, he’s going to be a bit adrift. He is very young, after all, and isn’t used to setting his own goals or following his own path. He is more used to an obvious structure to follow.

That being said, he also loves redoing levels in games like Super Mario Galaxy I and II, so he can adapt to enjoying journeys just fine.

I’m pretty excited. I know that there will be some faffing around as I settle into Pandaria, and I’m sure that there will be so many directions to expore that I could get lost along the way in side paths and digressions, but I’m okay with that.

I can’t help but wonder, once the rush of the video has passed, just how many folks will start thinking about that lack of a big bad to focus on, and start whining about being confused as to what they are supposed to do.

For myself… I love it. it’s the journey I love, and if I never see the destination, I’m fine. We’ll have many wonderful adventures along the way.

Alex may find his attention wandering, but, hey… pet battles!

Oh, and talk about short attention span theater. Serious conflict, heavy drama, a struggle for sruvival shipwrecked on a dense jungle isle… then, comedy! I have been trained well. The training begun with Mtv has finally come full circle. I can now enjoy in full a 3 minute movie. I’m surprised we didn’t have a satisfying love affair worked in there.

18 Responses to “World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria game trailer is live”
  1. Faye says:

I’m okay with not knowing who the big bad is but it’s possible that’s because I can be too introspective for my own good at times. I like that rather than focusing on the “big bad” this trailer focused on the question of why we fight. Maybe it’s because I’m so jaded by the real world at the moment that I think it’s a refreshing shift on Blizzard’s part. Are we fighting for a reason or because we blindly hate each other? And what’s the reason that we hate each other anyway?

To be honest, when I first started playing this game shortly before Wrath launched, I didn’t know anything about the big bad. I didn’t even watch the trailer for any of the expansions until I’d been playing the game for a few months. I was still interested in the story and I enjoyed the lore as the quests presented themselves. I realize it’s a little different for people who have been playing with this idea of the bad guy at the end all along, but I think, provided people give this a chance, it will be good storytelling as well. Deathwing as a villain never did much for me, especially in the 80-85 content, and a lot of the best stories told in Cata had very little to do with him at all.

Hope your son enjoys the xpac! I’ve been having fun reading about his adventures. :)

2. Theodoxus says:

I want Blizz to make the WoW movie with their very talented production crew. I don’t want live action, I want that epic CGI. I feel I’m alone in this.

3. Matty says:

Okay, not to get all “Zen” and whatnot (I LOVED this trailer), but perhaps the “big bad” is in ourselves – ? Hmmm, grasshopper?

• Erinys says:

That’s what I’m hoping for. That rather than having one bad guy influenced by Old Gods or other forms of generic ancient evil, we’ll see a battle between good and evil within ourselves and our factions.

After all, we’ve all been staring into that abyss for quite a while now :p

4. Ardrissa says:

I am in agreement with the posters so far. Love the trailer, love the change of perspective. I think it is a very timely message (if games give messages). I know my daughter will be LOVING the pet battles. I personally am looking forward to NOT being shoved into the chute for a 6 second ride on an end boss right away.

And BBB, love your site! Been lurking a loooong time :)

5. I’d much rather be surprised. It was so boring knowing what was coming at the end of Cata. And like you said, “Pet Battles!”

6. ursiheil says:

I’ve been predicting that the end boss of this expansion is going to be the faction leaders, and while lacking in epic mega death battleness, it will make up with epic storytelling and political intrigue of leaders who’ve gone too far.

It’s still a bit on track for my predictions of the next xpac being WoW “The Great Betrayal”… where the citizens of both factions are so shocked with what Garrosh and King whats-his-nuts (never been a human fan), that they betray their own fashion and go off on their own (third nuetral faction) or eventually join the other side (Yeah! Gnome Horde!)

7. Azwing says:

I hate to say it, but I’m not really impressed with the MoP cinematic. It lacks the epic feel of the previous four and just doesn’t really grab me. The first part left me wondering if ship to ship combat is in the expansion. Most of the remainder felt like a Mortal Combat cinematic.

The vanilla cinematic introduced classes, races, and the world and really grabbed me. I still think it’s the best. Each of the previous expansion cinematics has an epic feel. You’re going after Illidan, or the Lich King, or Deathwing. The MoP cinematic, to me, lacks an epic focus. Pandaren monk…okay…that’ll be the new class everyone wants to try out, but beyond that…what does the cinematic entice me to do? And, the scenery seems a bit to Avatar-ish towards the end. This even makes it seem like Pandaren are a neutral faction, neither horde nor alliance.

I’m not a hater, don’t get me wrong. Maybe I can’t quite express exactly what doesn’t grab me about the MoP cinematic. But, for me, it just doesn’t capture the feel and scope of previous cinematics.

8. Navimie says:

So did Alex like the trailer? I came here thinking I was going to hear a cub report about the trailer… but so far I haven’t heard. Perhaps BBB is hiding it from Alex until he does his homework.

9. mannyac says:

I wanna know where are the dumplings?

• bigbearbutt says:

I actually was thinking of you when I posted all the movies. You haven’t played the game in years, but you have to admit they do good movies, man.

• mannyac says:

Yep they di, as a matter of fact I might sit back this weekend and run thru them all> NOw if the same team would do a Honor Harrington flick…..

10. Vera Elynea says:

My daugther and I LOVED the cinematic (she just started playing this past June after 5 years of saying how cute it is that her Mom is a “nerd”, and she already has one 85 and several up-and-coming alts, is almost finished with her Loremaster achievement on the 85, and it looks like she’ll have the Netherwing drakes before I do, blast her!). The only things I found disconcerting were the comments on the YouTube page from some people…you know the ones…”blahblah haven’t played in years…blahblah Blizz is a sinking ship…blahblah GW2 is the next WoWKILLER…”. You’d think if you hated a game so much, you wouldn’t waste time viewing trailers about it or begging to get into the beta just to trash the thing.

But, maybe… Maybe it’s the same psychological phenomenon that happens to some folks when they break up/get divorced/part ways. The ones that spend the rest of their days trashing what they secretly wish they still had, mostly to convince themselves that the loss has been worth it…or to drive off others who still see the value in what they let go (probably better known as the “I Had THAT” syndrome, implying that it was good when you did, but it’s old and tired and why are you so interested in it when it’s been done?).

I started playing this game in 2007, a month before BC hit. I’m constantly amazed by the story, the environment, and all the things there are to do in the game. I love seeing what’s coming around the corner and figuring out how I’m going to have to get through it. I don’t expect everyone to share my level of excitement, because this is my opinion…and that’s yours. But geeze…if you are done with a thing/don’t like a thing/kicking a thing to the curb, then DO that…and step off. You don’t have the right to rain on everyone else’s parade when you leave the grounds and go home.

…wow. Seriously, I only wanted to say the video rocked for us. Sorry about the rant. :)

11. kattrinsaa says:

I loved the trailer. It did seem very kung-fu panda ish.. but then hey. that’s not a bad thing.
    They redrew the orcs a bit, quite top heavy.. loved the bit where the human slowly handed his weapon to the orc.

Ship to ship battles would be cool, pet battles… nuff said.. all that panda needed was a light saber and could easily have fit in on another battlefield.

once things settle down a bit, i’m thinking of reactivating, burning through the cata content and getting mist..
    lotro just isn’t holding my attention that well. and STO is kinda sluggish at the moment too.