Back in the day, there was this pen and paper role playing game named Cyberpunk 2020.

I played that game in this real tight window, about 6 really intense months where I had source materials, time and a group willing to take a chance on playing in a world inspired by William Gibson and the explosion of the cyberpunk vibe.

It came, it hit, and aside from a lingering love of books like Snow Crash, movies like Hackers and Nemesis, and pumping dance music, it all faded away and got absorbed into popular culture.

I love Cyberpunk 2020, and I’m not alone. The character creation system was polarizing. The world was close enough to touch, to make connections fire in your head, inspire you to try something personal.

I loved seeing what people made for characters. More often than you might think, you’d see someone come up with a character concept that seemed to really say something about about some inner desire or dream. There was more there than ‘roll 3d6 for stats and come up with a name’. Shit was revealing.

Well, here we go. There is a Cyberpunk game in the works, Cyberpunk 2077, and it’s a collaboration between the original creator of the Cyberpunk 2020 game, Mike Pondsmith, and game developers CD Projekt RED.

Just, wow.

Right out of the gate, they give us something that tells old hands at the original game like me that we’re in for a wild ride.

Just like Tycho said at Penny Arcade, to tackle cyberpsychosis in the first teaser trailer sets a mark, states that this is not going to be a watered down, kinder, gentler Night City. The 57 years that have passed since the original setting have not seen a sudden proliferation of peace, love and fresh bacon sandwiches.

Talk about a hardcore way to tell us where they’re coming from with the game. They’re pulling no punches.

And thank you to IGN for taking the time to really look at the trailer, and explore some of what’s going on with the game.

If the game can live up to that promise, you might just be losing me when this comes out. Just saying.

I haven’t been this excited for a new game, in… well, shit. Huh, I can’t remember.

Excuse me, off to watch that again.

10 Responses to “Okay, You may Be Losing a Bear”
  1. ursiheil says:

Yeah… I got distracted by eve online again… this will add more time away from azeroth… see you in the shadows!

2. Vrykerion says:

Aaaah, new Cyberpunk game, a couple of new Shadowrun games… Yes. It’s all coming up Vry. Move over Steampunk, my time has come!

See you on the grid, Chummer.

• bigbearbutt says:

Just to be clear, part of the info out is the Cyberpunk 2077 game may not be released until as late as 2015. So…. don’t quit your WoW sub just yet!

3. Solitha says:

Dang it, Bear. You’ve got me wondering if this is the same RPG I was looking at a long time ago and wanted to try (tabletop). All I can recall is a compelling description of a Netrunner-sort of “class” accompanied by a black and white (I think) drawing of a woman with a sleek motorcycle, in the manual.

4. I wasn’t at all excited by that video, but am a huge fan of Cyberpunk RPG. I was looking for more that a teaser, I was looking for some assurance that investing the passion will not be wasted. If they pull it off well then I’ll play for sure.

5. Therabbi says:

Thanks so much for the info about this new game! i have been reading your blog for a very long time, as a retired military man like yourself i relate to alot of you blog posts!

6. Thunderspank says:

BBB, if you get the chance, try Witcher and Witcher 2. They’re by CD Projekt RED and are just amazing games. I’m playing W2 right now and love it. You can often find them on sale for $15. I love that CD Projekt RED refuses to put any annoying copy protection or anti-piracy hurdles in their games, their stance being it hurts their paying customers even more. It makes me want to send them even more money.

The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are fantastic games.

• bigbearbutt says:

I keep hearing that about the Witcher series, and now that I see what project they are working on I’ve got more incentive than ever to check them out.

7. I am so stoked about this. I loved Cyberpunk 2020 and ShadowRun – they were my first foray into tabletop RPGs (along with Tales from the Floating Vagabond and Paranoia – go figure).

I was a backer for the Shadowrun Returns kickstarter, and I’ve been itching to get back into the dystopian future that I dearly love.

I cannot WAIT.

8. Heh, cool. I used to work for Mike back in the day – nice to see he’s still developing Cyberpunk!