I didn’t do it when it was the cool, in thing to do. All the really cool people leaped into it, and gushed about it, and made it sound very neat. Fun. Mahvelous. Challenging.
The Iron Man WoW Challenge.
I was really tempted, it sounded pretty fun to set those kinds of limits on myself, see how crafty I could be for the love of the game, and of arbitrary self-imposed limits to fight off ennui.
Then Blizzard themselves came out and did all but endorse the IMWC as an official game mode.
That is a lot of “ooh, that sounds so awesome but is overhyped so I must avoid it like the plague” to overcome.
Well, I pushed past it. I was strong!
I am going to do it… but at my own pace. Kinda have to, so much to do, so many characters to play, so little time.
The rules, as I understand them from this thread and upon which I shall abide, are;
Get from level 1-85 using the rules below.
Ironman Challenge Rules
1. All gear employed must be White or Grey. Also, no Heirlooms of any sort.
2. No transfer of gear, items or money from any other character (yours or others)
3. No gear enhancement(s), thus no Socket Gems, Enchanting or Reforging. Exceptions exist for class abilities. (example: Rogue poisons)
4. No specializations, talent points, or glyphs. This restriction also applies to talent points for pets.
5. No professions or secondary skills. An exception is made for First Aid.
6. No potions/flasks/elixirs (except those labeled as Quest Items)
7. No food buffs or other external buffs (this includes buffs from items and other players).
8. No grouping or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
9. No dungeons/raids. No battlegrounds/arenas.
10. No guilds. An exception is made for Ironman guilds (no perks)
11. No Refer-A- Friend activities. The intention of the challenge is that it be done without assistance.
12. No add-ons that assist in combat (try to challenge yourself and do the most with the least).
13. THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character.
- All mounts
- All bags/containers
- All quests (including holiday and daily quests)
- You may train and use all your class skills (including your own buffs)
The one thing that I have to admit I don’t like is that I can’t specialize or use talent points. I like talent points, and getting more abilities. When I asked for suggestions on race/class on Twitter, Tish Tosh Tesh suggested Draenei Frost Mage, and I said great… not remembering you’re not allowed to spec frost, or anything else.
I will try. I will see how well I can do. Bigironbutt is live, somewhere, and we shall see if I make it to level 10 and am qualified to join the WoW Ironman Challenge website roster.
If you are taking part in this as well, I hope I’ll see you alive and still kicking!